• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Tell us now!

Started by Thing, November 22, 2003, 05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Newby

Quote from: J on April 30, 2006, 08:39 PM
Having to give the password to anyone who needs to be able to use the computer to anywhere near half it's potential seems a little disturbing to me.

Joe hit the nail on the head.

sudo has a much better implementation of that. You can control who uses it, and what commands they have access to. ;)

Come on M$, where's your answer to sudo?
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Warrior

This is simple, you'd open it for them. I fail to see the difference between setting a user and typing in the password for them?

In Vista, UAP however changes how things work. It will be much easier.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Newby

Quote from: Warrior on April 30, 2006, 09:43 PM
This is simple, you'd open it for them.

So if they decide to play a game (enter the password), you leave to get on with your life, and they quit 10 minutes later and decide to play again, what are they supposed to do?

I fail to see the difference between setting a user and typing in the password for them?

I do. One requires an administrator being willing to type the password in each time it's required. The other is much more risky, seeing as how if they execute a virus it'll have administrative privlidges behind it.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

Warrior

Quote from: Newby on April 30, 2006, 10:22 PM
This is simple, you'd open it for them.

So if they decide to play a game (enter the password), you leave to get on with your life, and they quit 10 minutes later and decide to play again, what are they supposed to do?

Usually a game won't need administrative priviledges. Be realistic.

Quote from: Newby on April 30, 2006, 10:22 PM
I fail to see the difference between setting a user and typing in the password for them?

I do. One requires an administrator being willing to type the password in each time it's required. The other is much more risky, seeing as how if they execute a virus it'll have administrative privlidges behind it.

However the likely hood of one knowingly granting administrative priviledges to a virus is unlikely. It'd have to spawn on an admin account or find some exploit to gain admin status.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Newby

Quote from: Warrior on May 01, 2006, 12:21 AM
Usually a game won't need administrative priviledges. Be realistic.

Hahahaha. Are you kidding me?

I think I have found a total of one game that hasn't required administrative privlidges to play. Lmfao!

Shit, take a look from this webpage: http://zone.msn.com/en/support/article/support1019.htm

QuoteAll multiplayer games require that users on your system have administrator rights

Nice.

My dad hated managing the old XP box when I had my stepbrother, because every time he'd install a game he'd have to tweak the shit out of the permissions so limited users could run them.

I'd like to see a source saying the majority of games don't require admin privilidges. I think you pulled that out of your ass, lmao.

Quote from: Warrior on May 01, 2006, 12:21 AM
However the likely hood of one knowingly granting administrative priviledges to a virus is unlikely. It'd have to spawn on an admin account or find some exploit to gain admin status.

You said (and I will quote):

Setting a user to administrator means everything you execute (including viruses) will have administrative privilidges behind them. Typing the password won't, but it's much much more of a nuisance.
- Newby

Joe[x86]

A whole day without a Tell Us Now post? wtf.

Anyhow, my math teacher is gay. Literally gay. Weird!
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

shout

My tomatoes have been ravaged.

Trance

ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES!!!!

CrAz3D

::)
I made phone calls last night, about 100 of them.  Calling people to say "Hey!  go vote in the primary"
One old dude said "I can't hear you " *click*went the phone, lol.

Some people are on our call lists (which were arranged by address) twice because they had different addresses but the same phone number.  I called 1 person whom someone else had already called (thank God they were nice Republicans).  Later that evening I ended up calling the same number twice (listed under different addresses), glad they were nice too!

EDIT:
LOL @ local paper SoundOff! comment
QuoteWith the price of gas being the price it is, now it is more expensive than ever to drive around, and so instead of drinking and driving it would be more economical to just stay home and drink!
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Joe[x86]

The rest of the week will dominate with no doubt whatsoever:

05032006 Wednesday:
School
Church

05042006 Thursday:
School
Andy comes over
Play practice @ Lynn's house

05042006 Friday:
Andy comes over and hangs out
Sleepover

05052006 Saturday:
Hang out with Andy, sleep from like 6PM to 11PM-ish
Head to town at about 11:45PM

05062006 Sunday:
12:00AM to 5:00AM - Bowling
5:00AM to 8:00AM - Chill at Andy's place
8:00AM to 8:30AM - Head to church
8:30AM to 11:00AM - Sunday School + Church
11:00AM to 12:00N - Fellowship
12:00N to 10:00PM - Who knows?
Sleep
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

CrAz3D

oooh.

Thursday:
1020-1 class
1-5 work
5-730(?) phone banking
730----------------------?

Friday:
930-1030 class
11 hair cut!!!!
1-3 work
3-------------------------?
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

hismajesty

Ehhh

Yesterday: Lacrosse scrimmage against this private school: we lost 17-7.  Oddly enough it didn't look that bad. I took Lauren, my mom was there too and they talked. My mom said I have her "snowed" and that she's WAYYYY into me it seems. Then we went to dinner, Lauren and I didn't want to but she said we NEEDED to (mom wanted us to) so we met them there.

Today: I skipped lacrosse practice because I wanted to hang out at Laurens house. Unfortunately it wasn't too fun because her best friend who doesn't like Lauren giving more attention to me than her was there (she's spending the night to study for ap exam tomorrow) and it was bad. They argued. Lauren called me a few minutes after I left and told me how the other girl was in the bathroom SOBBING on the phone with her boyfriend. Her boyfriend lives in Florida, so she's pretty much jealous that Lauren and I actually get to see each other.

Tomorrow: I have my AP US exam tomorrow morning, then I have to go pick up my tuxedo and buy some new tennis shoes. I have to pick up my car (dad got me a Mustang convertible for the weekend.) Then I told my friend Chris I'd go with him to get his tux and stuff. Then I have to go to work with him (I said I'd help him out because he'd be short staffed.) He basically sets up for events and stuff (he works at a hotel where is grandma is manager.) She's going to give me an application tomorrow and I'm going to apply for a job there. That's why I have to get shoes because it's part of the dress code and my boat shoes don't meet it.

Uhhh

Then Saturday is prom. OH! And the restaurant I wanted to go to dinner at doesn't open until the 31st so as of now, 2 nights before prom, I have no dinner plans. I have a backup plan but that requires a group...we're down on that reservation though. But we both want to go to dinner alone. We also have no after plans now because the party we were going to isn't happening now. She doesn't have to be home until like 4 so I mean...I want to do SOMETHING.

So yeah, I'm busy.

CrAz3D

Groups can be fun............or find a nice "hidden" place

edit:
while callin ppl today ...
1st lady I called, got the answering machine, she started shreaking at me, not yell, shreaking, it was hilarious
(ré-bun-dance)

SNiFFeR

Four days of school are remaining.

I went fishing around midnight and I just got home from it; caught one fish.

Explicit

Quote from: SNiFFeR on May 05, 2006, 02:17 AM
Four days of school are remaining.

I went fishing around midnight and I just got home from it; caught one fish.

I went home around noon and I just got a fish from it.  :P  I'm bored.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

|