• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

What school are you going to?

Started by Networks, February 26, 2006, 11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rule

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on March 03, 2006, 04:50 PM
I've wanted to be an attorney since 3rd grade, and President since 8th. 
And, yeah, my opinions are pretty much set in stone.

Don't you realize how foolish you sound?  This has nothing to do whether I agree with your political opinions or not.   How can you make a proper decision about what you want to be in 3rd grade, and not reconsider?  As though all the data had come in by the time you were 8.  Most smart people in university are still finding out more about certain professions in an attempt to make a thoroughly researched decision about what they want to do.  I somehow doubt you did much research as an 8 year old.

Also, you're still very young.  It's really stupid to say that your opinions are set in stone at this stage of your life.  You say your ideology is "mostly economic,"but your probably know very little economic theory.  I probably know more about probability, economics and financial analysis than you do, even though I'm not interested in politics.  You're still young and have a lot more learning to do -- not letting that have an impact on your opinions seems beyond ridiculous.

One thing that bugs me about your "opinions" is you seem to project that all of them are "right." Hence, there is no point in hearing the other side, or reconsidering. Do you not realize that there are profs at these "liberal" universities (e.g. UBerkeley) who are a lot smarter than you are, who would disagree with your opinions on many things?  You somehow think you've seen all sorts of things that they haven't, or have considered things they aren't willing to consider?   You certainly don't seem willing to consider what they have to say.

If you grew up where I do, you'd want to go to a white/conservative school too. Hampden-Sydney does have some disrespectul things said about it on Urbandictionary, but nevermind that.

Yes, this is support for my point.  Notice how I made a comment about the "coincidence" between your point of view which seems to agree with "Grandpa's" and the whole family?

Maybe I would want to go to a conservative/white school if I grew up where you did.  You are saying that your environment conditions your political beliefs.  I should hope that I would try and minimize that sort of influence, not submit to it, like you seem to.  I am sure that if you had grown up in Finland, you'd be an extreme liberal. 

You've been conditioned.  When funny political quotes were being posted, most people just did that -- posted funny political quotes.  I noticed all of your quotes were of various people to the left of the spectrum embarassing themselves.  I'm sure you know lots of funny quotes of conservatives saying really stupid things.  Why didn't you post any of them?

I agree though, I don't think you will change.  I think it's a sad aspect of the human condition.

hismajesty

Quote from: Rule on March 03, 2006, 05:07 PM
Don't you realize how foolish you sound? This has nothing to do whether I agree with your political opinions or not. How can you make a proper decision about what you want to be in 3rd grade, and not reconsider? As though all the data had come in by the time you were 8. Most smart people in university are still finding out more about certain professions in an attempt to make a thoroughly researched decision about what they want to do. I somehow doubt you did much research as an 8 year old.

I'm sorry I was ambitious at an early age. Want to know what my choice college was in second grade? Yale. I remember saying how I wanted to go to Yale.

You're still young and have a lot more learning to do -- not letting that have an impact on your opinions seems beyond ridiculous.

I'm fairly certain I'll be learning some stuff in college.

One thing that bugs me about your "opinions" is you seem to project that all of them are "right." Hence, there is no point in hearing the other side, or reconsidering. Do you not realize that there are profs at these "liberal" universities (e.g. UBerkeley) who are a lot smarter than you are, who would disagree with your opinions on many things? You somehow think you've seen all sorts of things that they haven't, or have considered things they aren't willing to consider? You certainly don't seem willing to consider what they have to say.

Yeah, well I'm sure there is professors at "conservative" schools who are a lot smarter than me, who would agree with many of my opinions. What's your point? Just because they're liberal professors they are somehow better than agreeing conservative professors?

Notice how I made a comment about the "coincidence" between your point of view which seems to agree with "Grandpa's" and the whole family?

Too bad you don't know my family. My grandparents are the only ones who are political. My parents are ignorant to politics, as many Americans are - and my aunt is liberal (which saddens my grandparents and I've seen my grandmother argue with her.)

Maybe I would want to go to a conservative/white school if I grew up where you did. You are saying that your environment conditions your political beliefs. I should hope that I would try and minimize that sort of influence, not submit to it, like you seem to.

No I think you interpreted it the wrong way. My city is very large (second largest in the state), and it has a large amount of poverty and minorities, and of course crime. It's not the best place for me to get a great opinion of certain other people. I would, of course, like to seperate myself from this sort of thing. It just so happens that campus diversity is not a major player in my college search.

You've been conditioned. When funny political quotes were being posted, most people just did that -- posted funny political quotes. I noticed all of your quotes were of various people to the left of the spectrum embarassing themselves. I'm sure you know lots of funny quotes of conservatives saying really stupid things. Why didn't you post any of them?

I don't know of any funny quotes of conservatives, except from Bush (but that's only because I have a desk calendar of Bush quotes.) Bush bashing (via quotes) is annoying to me because it's done so much and people take it so seriously. Why does it matter if a conservative or liberal said something funny or stupid?

You're right, I probably won't change. I haven't changed much my entire life, I'll continue to take the right side of issues, be it conservative or liberal. I'll take what makes sense...which is usually the conservative standpoint, but whatever.

And it's so retarded that this topic turned in to one focused on me and my politics. Seriously, this is ruining a good thread. All I did was post where I wanted to go to school, and why I wanted to. Why I want to go to school is my business, and if I don't care about diversity than so be it. You guys can go intermingle with opposing viewpoints and other races and a bunch of queers all you want, I don't really care if I do or not.

iago

Quote from: iago on March 03, 2006, 10:29 AM
It seems to me that in college, exploring the opinions of the other side and understanding how you think would be far more valuable than having your personal biases reinforced. It's a personal growth thing or something..

Everybody wants different things out of the college experience. You want open-mindedness, I want a six figure job.
It's too bad that you don't mind being ignorant.  But there's not much I can say that'll change your mind, so I won't. 

And, yeah, my opinions are pretty much set in stone. I've formed the majority (if not all) of them myself, and I very rarely read Conservative party (or Democratic) literature (Mephisto.)
Hmm, so you say that republicans are better than democrats without even knowing a lor about what they stand for?  Again, I like to think that open-mindedness prevails, but I suppose not in your case. 
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

CrAz3D

New Mexico State University
I'm an NMSU Aggie, WHOO!

I'd like to attend UT for law school in a few years.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Falcon[anti-yL]

My #1 choice right now is UT Austin.

hismajesty

I've been getting a lot of mail from smaller colleges recently, and it's piling up. I'm going to start actually reading the letters instead of throwing them in a pile and start looking for more options. I'm probably going to end up going to a small (sub 3,000 pop) school, and that's what I want (unless I was going to some awesome large school, then I'd make concessions...)

And I want to stay in the south too, so that's something else I'm looking at. Preferably Virginia, but I'm sorta-kinda looking at College of Charleston which is in South Carolina. Of course, my Grandparents live in Florida so I might look at Florida schools...but probably not.

For my grad school I definitely want to go up North, however, as that's where I want to live. (Either in New England or Norther Virginia, either way it's North.) I'd like to work in New York or DC, so I want to have out-of-grad-school opportunities in those areas. :)

The college selection process is hard, especially when you don't have grades to match the "you're brilliant" comments people give you. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how qualified you actually are for a school if you don't have paper to prove it, which only makes this whole thing that much difficult.

Hitmen

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on March 05, 2006, 08:16 PM
The college selection process is hard, especially when you don't have grades to match the "you're brilliant" comments people give you. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how qualified you actually are for a school if you don't have paper to prove it, which only makes this whole thing that much difficult.
Errg, agreed.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Mephisto on March 02, 2006, 02:33 PM
Quote from: quasi-modo on March 02, 2006, 12:41 PM
--->Auburn University <---

UCLA thx~
real desireable if someone lives on the east coast / in the south.

Auburn is a pretty conservative school, I see W the president stickers everywhere, and we are about 10% more conservative than the state of alabama as a whole, which means the university is no haven for liberalism by any stretch of the imagination. Most of my professors strike me as being conservative, though they are very professional and don't really let politics seep into non political classes. Auburn specializes in engineering, we are the only university in the nation with accredited wirless eletrical and wirless software engineering programs largely made possibly by samual ginn (ceo of vodafone), and there are massive scolarships for these programs that are administered pretty liberally. In state tuition is pretty affordable and right now I get in state even though I am from florida (it is a scolarship I have received). Auburn has an excelent engineering program as a whole but also excels in comp sci, architecture, pharm, business, vet, and a bunch of other stuff.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

iago

Quote from: Hitmen on March 05, 2006, 09:53 PM
Errg, agreed.

Schools up here take a different approach.  Anybody who graduates highschool (and even then, not necessarily necessary) can be accepted into the University of Manitoba/Winnipeg.  However, our first/second-year courses have a higher-than-normal dropout rate.  I personally prefer letting people try/fail than not letting them try.  Also, the University makes money on them :)

quasi-modo

Quote from: iago on March 05, 2006, 11:25 PM
Errg, agreed.

Schools up here take a different approach.  Anybody who graduates highschool (and even then, not necessarily necessary) can be accepted into the University of Manitoba/Winnipeg.  However, our first/second-year courses have a higher-than-normal dropout rate.  I personally prefer letting people try/fail than not letting them try.  Also, the University makes money on them :)
Does it create a housing / class size nightmare though?
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Rule

When iago says "up here," he isn't referring to all of Canada. 

iago

Quote from: quasi-modo on March 05, 2006, 11:40 PM
Quote from: iago on March 05, 2006, 11:25 PM
Errg, agreed.

Does it create a housing / class size nightmare though?
The vast majority of people live off campus.  I think that's the difference between a University and a College. 

And yeah, a few first year classes are pretty big.  But we just suck it up and get over it, knowing that second year will be smaller and 3rd and 4th year will be quite small.

Quote from: Rule on March 06, 2006, 01:03 AM
When iago says "up here," he isn't referring to all of Canada. 
You're right, I don't know about the rest of Canada.  I was generalizing based on my city. 

hismajesty

Quote from: iago on March 06, 2006, 10:14 AM
I think that's the difference between a University and a College.

I'm fairly certain that the difference is that a University also has a graduate school while a College only has undergrad classes.

I had a meeting with my counselor today to talk about the ACT/SAT/Schedule for next year, etc. Apparently even with my low GPA, college is still attainable (even without junior college first) and she thinks I shouldn't have a problem getting into Hampden-Sydney. I think it's partly to do with me having very decent standardized test scores.

dxoigmn

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on March 06, 2006, 01:27 PM

I'm fairly certain that the difference is that a University also has a graduate school while a College only has undergrad classes.

Dartmouth College has a graduate schools. There is really no difference except maybe size. Colleges are generally smaller, where universities are generally huge.

hismajesty

Quote from: dxoigmn on March 06, 2006, 04:43 PM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on March 06, 2006, 01:27 PM

Dartmouth College has a graduate schools. There is really no difference except maybe size. Colleges are generally smaller, where universities are generally huge.

I thought Dartmouth kept "College" for the tradition factor.

I know that Harvard basis their "College" and "University" off of what I mentioned earlier, but I don't know for certain how it works overall. That's just what I assumed.

|