• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Carefully Crafted Response to How to...

Started by hismajesty, December 22, 2005, 09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adron

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on December 23, 2005, 11:09 PM
What about circumcision? Who remembers being circumcised at birth? Probably nobody, but is that a reason to allow the killing of babies directly after birth? Nahh.

If I knew anyone with the experience... But yes, smothering babies directly after birth isn't that bad either. It has been a regular part of some cultures I hear.

WoOdTroll

I just figure they should get it over with instead of more developments. You know second thoughts etc.

Warrior

Quote from: Adron on December 23, 2005, 10:30 PM
Quote from: Warrior on December 23, 2005, 09:42 PM
Quote from: Adron on December 23, 2005, 08:41 PM
Do you pick flowers? Do you hit nails on their heads?

Rephrasing that:

Do you really want to kill something (Human since we are talking about abortion) which did nothing to deserve it and couldn't help the fact that it existed?

If it is for the better - sure! Any time!

For once, I actually think woodtroll made a very good post. The 3 month limit is a bit arbitrary, but..

I don't see how killing ...a baby (fetus, infant, toddler, whatever)..is for the better.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Adron

Quote from: Warrior on December 24, 2005, 01:52 AM
Quote from: Adron on December 23, 2005, 10:30 PM
If it is for the better - sure! Any time!
I don't see how killing ...a baby (fetus, infant, toddler, whatever)..is for the better.

Ah, central point! When is it for the better? When the fetus would grow into a forever sick human? (Do we want humans to be well?) When it would be hated and disliked? (Do we want humans to be loved?)

I agree with many different reasons for having an abortion.

Rule

Quote from: Adron on December 23, 2005, 11:12 PM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on December 23, 2005, 11:09 PM
What about circumcision? Who remembers being circumcised at birth? Probably nobody, but is that a reason to allow the killing of babies directly after birth? Nahh.

If I knew anyone with the experience... But yes, smothering babies directly after birth isn't that bad either. It has been a regular part of some cultures I hear.

That is fairly horrible.  Just because you may not have a memory of being born in the hospital doesn't mean that you weren't conscious and thinking at the time.  Would it have been ok to kill you 94 days ago at lunchtime because right now you don't remember what you ate that day?

On a more general note, it does not follow that if we don't remember something that we weren't conscious at that particular time; any arguments that rely on that point are completely fallacious.

---

I think one of the main reasons this debate over abortion is such a controversial one is because we (biologists) do not have a very good definition of life; it is just a vague intuitive notion that we have.  At what point is the fertilized egg a living creature?  At what point do we consider it intelligent?  Is it valid to use the argument "while something cannot [        ] now, it has the potential to [       ] later, and hence meets that criterion for being a living organism."  By the same token, could I not say that it is my moral obligation to impregnate many people?

WoOdTroll

Listen man. What would you do if you were a 15 year old, and got a 14/15 year old girl pregnant? Would you consider abortion if you two really didn't want a child? Of course. Like I said if you cant support it, why have it? Who do you think is going to support that? Imagine 15 years old, and you still live with your parents etc. You're not even responsible enough for a child yet, that or dont have alot of time for it. Children needs lots of attention, are you going to do that? A child is a huge responsiblity, and a handicap. I think if anyone who isn't able to take on that responsibility should have an abortion.

And its not cruel or anything its fucking life. People die for stupid shit all the time. Live, and let live. Its not your business if that person wants to have an abortion, ITS their baby, not yours. You should have your mouth shut at all times. All you're is an opinion to them.

And if you don't mind your own business then you're a brown noser.

Rule

That's a very emotional argument.  Please try to bring up some logical points next time, and also read my post which is obviously neither conspicuously for nor against abortion.

Quote from: WoOdTroll on December 24, 2005, 11:43 AM

Um, brown-nosing means being sycophantic.

WoOdTroll

Down here it means that you snoop in shit you shouldn't.

Explicit

Listen man. What would you do if you were a 15 year old, and got a 14/15 year old girl pregnant? Would you consider abortion if you two really didn't want a child? Of course. Like I said if you cant support it, why have it? Who do you think is going to support that? Imagine 15 years old, and you still live with your parents etc. You're not even responsible enough for a child yet, that or dont have alot of time for it. Children needs lots of attention, are you going to do that? A child is a huge responsiblity, and a handicap. I think if anyone who isn't able to take on that responsibility should have an abortion.

And its not cruel or anything its fucking life. People die for stupid shit all the time. Live, and let live. Its not your business if that person wants to have an abortion, ITS their baby, not yours. You should have your mouth shut at all times. All you're is an opinion to them.

The problem with your argument is that you did just what Rule said, and offered no logical points to defend your side.  To address your scenario though, you could put the child up for adoption.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Explicit[nK] on December 24, 2005, 04:09 PM

The problem with your argument is that you did just what Rule said, and offered no logical points to defend your side.  To address your scenario though, you could put the child up for adoption.

Or, in Arizona, it is legal to leave a baby outside of any fire station.  No questions asked, they won't try to find you, or anything.  If you don't want your child, at least give it the chance to live.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Explicit

Quote from: MyndFyre on December 24, 2005, 04:12 PM
Quote from: Explicit[nK] on December 24, 2005, 04:09 PM

Or, in Arizona, it is legal to leave a baby outside of any fire station. No questions asked, they won't try to find you, or anything. If you don't want your child, at least give it the chance to live.

I did not know that.  Are there any other states that allow for this?
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Adron

Quote from: Rule on December 24, 2005, 11:22 AM
That is fairly horrible.  Just because you may not have a memory of being born in the hospital doesn't mean that you weren't conscious and thinking at the time.  Would it have been ok to kill you 94 days ago at lunchtime because right now you don't remember what you ate that day?

To me it would have been OK. It would have been a loss to the state, to my employers and to people I know though. That would be the reason not to kill me.

Quote from: Rule on December 24, 2005, 11:22 AMI think one of the main reasons this debate over abortion is such a controversial one is because we (biologists) do not have a very good definition of life; it is just a vague intuitive notion that we have.  At what point is the fertilized egg a living creature?  At what point do we consider it intelligent?  Is it valid to use the argument "while something cannot [        ] now, it has the potential to [       ] later, and hence meets that criterion for being a living organism."  By the same token, could I not say that it is my moral obligation to impregnate many people?

I think another problem is that we are so illogical about life. We value human life more than other life, even when there is no logical reason to do so.

Rule

Quote from: Adron on December 24, 2005, 11:51 PM
I think another problem is that we are so illogical about life. We value human life more than other life, even when there is no logical reason to do so.

I completely agree.  I value animal life as much as, if not more than, human life.

WoOdTroll

My logical point is, its their choice, accept it. If they dont want a child, then they dont want a child. Who are you, to go to them, and be like "murderer" ? I think murder is killing a baby that was just recently born, or other means of killing. Quit being sensitive about the subject. Is it fair for the other sex to have to pay for something they didn't want?

And for adoption? They'll obviously want to find their real parents one day, so might aswell just kill the no-brain baby before they pull some type of rukus in the future.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Rule on December 24, 2005, 11:56 PM
Quote from: Adron on December 24, 2005, 11:51 PM

I completely agree.  I value animal life as much as, if not more than, human life.
People like animals because they are innocent.

BUT, tell me you've never killed a fly, never hit a bird while driving, never stomped a roach into the ground.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

|