• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

How does this happen?

Started by Invert, November 10, 2005, 03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Rule

Quote from: Adron on November 18, 2005, 10:16 PM
Killing a dog isn't so bad? I hear lots of people kill animals often.

Because people do it that makes it "not so bad"?

Adron

Quote from: Rule on November 18, 2005, 11:36 PM

Yeah, I rarely hear people have qualms after squashing mosquitos. I dunno. Maybe it is just the built-in cruelty in humans that allow us to squash mosquitos, cut down trees, even eat apples.

Rule

Quote from: Adron on November 18, 2005, 11:49 PM
Quote from: Rule on November 18, 2005, 11:36 PM

Yeah, I rarely hear people have qualms after squashing mosquitos. I dunno. Maybe it is just the built-in cruelty in humans that allow us to squash mosquitos, cut down trees, even eat apples.

Well, neither apples, trees, nor mosquitos are highly intelligent conscious mammals. 

Yes, humans regularly kill intelligent animals like pigs for food.  I am not claiming that it justifies the "killing" necessarily, but there is a difference between doing this and murdering an intelligent animal that is part of a family for no reason other than unrestrained anger and hatred.

The latter scenario certainly seems extremely "bad" in every sense of the word.

Personally I take a much greater liking to intelligent animals than most humans -- I can understand why one would be more angry at a dog being murdered in cold blood than perhaps a human.

CrAz3D

Word.  Animals for food are ok when they are needed.  I'd be rather upset if someone killed a family member, dog, cat, sister, w/e.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

iago

Quote from: CrAz3D on November 19, 2005, 01:41 AM
Word.  Animals for food are ok when they are needed.  I'd be rather upset if someone killed a family member, dog, cat, sister, w/e.
I don't see the difference.  Would you be ok with having dog and cat farms, where they breed and kill dogs and cats for food?  It would be done in a completely humain way, of course, the animals would only suffer while they're alive.  Why or why not?

If you think that's bad, then how can you agree with that happening to cows and pigs and sheep?  I mean, are you ok with how they make pork chops? Bacon? Ham?  Those all come from a variety of animals. 

I'm not a vegetarian, and I hold absolutely contradictory beliefs.  I agree that dog/cat farms would be bad, but I'm ok with eating steak and ham.  I'm a hypocrite, and I feel bad about it, but I don't want to give up eating meat.  That's a really tough predicament. 

I do have one limitation, though.  I won't eat veal, aka "tortured baby cow".  I don't have a problem with most meats, but the way veal is produced is disgusting.  That's as close as I come to vegetarianism. 
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

hismajesty

Considering there's a whole porfession dedicated to defending people in court, and those people are required to take an oath saying they will defend to the best of their ability, I don't think it's too far-fetched that most people serve no or a limited sentence.

Adron

Quote from: iago on November 19, 2005, 02:36 AM
I don't see the difference.  Would you be ok with having dog and cat farms, where they breed and kill dogs and cats for food?

If they would only sell good meat dogs here, we could try this recipe:

Stewed Dog (wedding style)

Recipe By     : Joe Sweeney
Serving Size  : 30   Preparation Time :3:00
Categories    : Ethnic                           Lamb
                 Philippines

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
    3      kg            dog meat -- * see note
    1 1/2  cups          vinegar
   60                    peppercorns -- crushed
    6      tablespoons   salt
   12      cloves        garlic -- crushed
      1/2  cup           cooking oil
    6      cups          onion -- sliced
    3      cups          tomato sauce
   10      cups          boiling water
    6      cups          red pepper -- cut into strips
    6      pieces        bay leaf
    1      teaspoon      tabasco sauce
    1 1/2  cups          liver spread -- ** see note
    1      whole         fresh pineapple -- cut 1/2 inch thick

1. First, kill a medium sized dog, then burn off the fur over a hot fire.
2. Carefully remove the skin while still warm and set aside for later (may be
used in other recpies)
3. Cut meat into 1" cubes. Marinade meat in mixture of vinegar,
peppercorn, salt and garlic for 2 hours.
4. Fry meat in oil using a large wok over an open fire, then add onions and
chopped pineapple and suate until tender.
5. Pour in tomato sauce and boiling water, add green peper, bay leaf and
tobasco.
6. Cover and simmer over warm coals until meat is tender. Blend in liver spread
and cook for additional 5-7 minutes.

* you can substiture lamb for dog. The taste is similar, but not as pungent.
** smooth liver pate will do as well.

More tasty recipes can be found here

CrAz3D

I don't see the difference.  Would you be ok with having dog and cat farms, where they breed and kill dogs and cats for food?  It would be done in a completely humain way, of course, the animals would only suffer while they're alive.  Why or why not?

If you think that's bad, then how can you agree with that happening to cows and pigs and sheep?  I mean, are you ok with how they make pork chops? Bacon? Ham?  Those all come from a variety of animals. 

I'm not a vegetarian, and I hold absolutely contradictory beliefs.  I agree that dog/cat farms would be bad, but I'm ok with eating steak and ham.  I'm a hypocrite, and I feel bad about it, but I don't want to give up eating meat.  That's a really tough predicament. 

I do have one limitation, though.  I won't eat veal, aka "tortured baby cow".  I don't have a problem with most meats, but the way veal is produced is disgusting.  That's as close as I come to vegetarianism. 
Culture.  Different culture, different lifestyles.  Cows are sacred in India, some dude might want to shoot you for eating a steak.
You're not a hypocrit, you've just been enculturated to accept dogs and cats as 'friends' & cows as food.
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

iago

Quote from: CrAz3D on November 19, 2005, 09:47 AM

Culture.  Different culture, different lifestyles.  Cows are sacred in India, some dude might want to shoot you for eating a steak.
You're not a hypocrit, you've just been enculturated to accept dogs and cats as 'friends' & cows as food.

That's totally dumb and arbitrary, though! 

CrAz3D

(ré-bun-dance)

iago

I mean that there's no logical reason to eat pigs but not dogs.  They're both dumb animals who probably taste good. 

Rule

Quote from: iago on November 19, 2005, 04:20 PM
They're both dumb animals who probably taste good. 

That is utterly untrue.  Many dogs are highly intelligent (I'd say far more aware of their surroundings and capable of certain types of problem solving than a significant number of humans). 

Also, pigs aren't "dumb" -- this is a trivial observation if you know anything about wild boars.

disco

Pigs have the intelligence of a 3 year old child. (Or so my hippy sister tells me)
Say it with me:

Explicit

I believe cows and pigs are eaten because we, as people, haven't established bonds with them like we do with cats and dogs.  If you were to grow up with a pig rather than a dog, you'd grow fond of it, wouldn't you?
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Topaz

yes, but i'd still eat it for food.

|