Started by Invert, November 10, 2005, 03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Explicit

Quote from: iago on November 22, 2005, 10:44 AM
Quote from: Adron on November 21, 2005, 02:31 AM
Quote from: iago on November 20, 2005, 11:36 PM
Quote from: Adron on November 20, 2005, 08:18 PM
In a way, it does. Animals whose meat is hardly useful, maybe only to cook soup, may not be that great to eat. On the other hand, an animal with fine, tender meat, that can be cooked in any way and still taste great, would make a great meat animal.

Well, I didnt' mean adaptable to being put into soup, I don't think that was the context anyway :)

But when you think about it, it is a long term adaptation. Animals whose meat do not taste well survive in the wild until we cut down their forests. Animals whose meat is great are domesticated and bred and multiply. It is evolution...

Haha, that's funny in a way, but true, too. I don't think evolution ever intended good tasting animals to be bred in captivity though ;)

Nor any animal for that matter. :)
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

CrAz3D

rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Explicit

Because animals aren't meant to be held in captivity.  How would you feel if you were bred to serve one purpose, being to feed others?
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

CrAz3D

Animals don't feel the same way.
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

Warrior

Isn't about "how would we feel", we don't. We are higher on the foodchain so we eat them.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

iago

This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Adron

But when you think about it, it is a long term adaptation. Animals whose meat do not taste well survive in the wild until we cut down their forests. Animals whose meat is great are domesticated and bred and multiply. It is evolution...

Haha, that's funny in a way, but true, too.  I don't think evolution ever intended good tasting animals to be bred in captivity though ;)

Evolution never had any intentions. It is blind. Evolution is not an Intelligent Designer...

iago

Quote from: Adron on November 22, 2005, 11:10 PM

Haha, that's funny in a way, but true, too.  I don't think evolution ever intended good tasting animals to be bred in captivity though ;)

Evolution never had any intentions. It is blind. Evolution is not an Intelligent Designer...

Using the word "intented" was a figure of speech.  What I meant was that I'm pretty sure that natural selection/evolution doesn't prepare animals to be bred in captivity.

CrAz3D

Evolution is just change.  We changed the purpose of those animals.
(ré-bun-dance)

Adron

Quote from: iago on November 22, 2005, 11:11 PM

Using the word "intented" was a figure of speech.  What I meant was that I'm pretty sure that natural selection/evolution doesn't prepare animals to be bred in captivity.

It does not *prepare* animals for anything, but it does shape them to better suit their role... Natural selection/evolution works all the time, all around. Domesticated animals have been shaped to fit better in with humans over a long period of time.

iago

Quote from: Adron on November 23, 2005, 02:43 AM
Quote from: iago on November 22, 2005, 11:11 PM

It does not *prepare* animals for anything, but it does shape them to better suit their role... Natural selection/evolution works all the time, all around. Domesticated animals have been shaped to fit better in with humans over a long period of time.

The animals tasted good before they were ever domesticated.  As you said,

Adron

Quote from: iago on November 23, 2005, 07:16 AM

Yes, so what evolution has done is make animals with tasty meat. That is how evolution always works - selecting one of multiple alternatives. Tasty meat is a property that helps increase survivability. So is cute looks. Or in some cases, scary looks (flies that look like bees!).

iago

Quote from: Adron on November 23, 2005, 08:00 AM
Quote from: iago on November 23, 2005, 07:16 AM

Yes, so what evolution has done is make animals with tasty meat. That is how evolution always works - selecting one of multiple alternatives. Tasty meat is a property that helps increase survivability. So is cute looks. Or in some cases, scary looks (flies that look like bees!).

Bees aren't scary.

But anyway, I'm not sure how "tasty meat" would promote survivability unless animals were being bread by another animals.  And that seems like something so unnatural that it wouldn't even become an evolutionary alternative. 

But apparently, nature DID select it. 

Does that mean that breeding animals in captivity is natural?  It's part of what is supposed to happen?  If we STOPPED breeding cattle, that would be going against nature (even God)?

Based on that, I think that vegetarians should re-evaluate why they don't eat meat.  It's perfectly natural to breed animals in captivity, apparently!

Hitmen

Quote from: iago on November 24, 2005, 11:09 AM
Based on that, I think that vegetarians should re-evaluate why they don't eat meat.  It's perfectly natural to breed animals in captivity, apparently!
I think we should teach them a lesson and start eating vegetarians. How dare they go against the will of god.

Adron

Quote from: iago on November 24, 2005, 11:09 AM
But anyway, I'm not sure how "tasty meat" would promote survivability unless animals were being bread by another animals.  And that seems like something so unnatural that it wouldn't even become an evolutionary alternative. 

Maybe consider it as species living in symbiosis...

|