• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Stem cell research

Started by Banana fanna fo fanna, June 28, 2005, 09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Topaz

Quote from: DarkMinion on July 08, 2005, 01:12 PM
For the record, I'm all for stem cell research.  I haven't really read much of this thread, but here's how I feel in a nutshell:  They would only be using A) Umbilical cords, B) Leftover embryos from artificial ensemination, and C) Fetuses that have already been killed via abortion.  So I ask, what's the fucking point of arguing against it?  You're not ending potential human lives to do it (I know, I know, abortion, but that's another person's choice), and it could potentially revolutionize medical science and increase the quality of life for some people exponentionally.

And anyone who is arguing about it because of religious reasons....just shut up.  So many good things throughout history have been ruined/hindered because of/by religion.   Any time we're hindered from making a significant advance that could potentially change the world because of some fucking fairy tale, it makes me want to fucking vomit.

End rant.

What a completely uneducated and biased post.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Topaz on July 08, 2005, 02:04 PM
For the record, I'm all for stem cell research.  I haven't really read much of this thread, but here's how I feel in a nutshell:  They would only be using A) Umbilical cords, B) Leftover embryos from artificial ensemination, and C) Fetuses that have already been killed via abortion.  So I ask, what's the fucking point of arguing against it?  You're not ending potential human lives to do it (I know, I know, abortion, but that's another person's choice), and it could potentially revolutionize medical science and increase the quality of life for some people exponentionally.

And anyone who is arguing about it because of religious reasons....just shut up.  So many good things throughout history have been ruined/hindered because of/by religion.   Any time we're hindered from making a significant advance that could potentially change the world because of some fucking fairy tale, it makes me want to fucking vomit.

End rant.

We're all biased.
What part was uneducated?...I spose it is the moronic assumption that God is some made up character
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

DarkMinion

Yes, please elaborate, Topaz.  And I'm sorry if me not believing in fictional characters offends you.

CrAz3D

Better have to believed & been wrong than disbelieve & be wrong
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

shout

End rant.

What a completely hypocritical post.

DarkMinion

QuoteBetter have to believed & been wrong than disbelieve & be wrong

Why?

CrAz3D

You believe & are wrong you just die & nothing happens

You don't believe & are wrong you die & end up in hell
(ré-bun-dance)

DarkMinion

Sorry, that doesn't frighten me.  And why would you call me a moron for not believing in god?  I don't call you a moron for being a believer...

Hostile

Quote from: Shout on July 08, 2005, 02:24 PM

What a completely hypocritical post.

I'll second that. lol

PS: It has nothing to do with God, regardless its moral debate, and one is only pertained to the embryo/abortion side of it.

To say you follow a religion out of fear is basically why religions were created in the first place. To control people. Don't talk to me about Jesus, he was the brightest man of his time. Its the people who turned his teachings into fanatical followings and even ironically go against his teachings to defend them, that are the real galactically stupid.

DM might not want to call you moron for it, but I have no problem with it if you're going to take that approach. I think religions are a great way to get through life. If you truly follow most of the religions out there, and have a full understanding of them, they all teach you to live a lifestyle which will ultimately lead you to happiness. Isn't that all thats important?
- Hostile is sexy.

nslay

Quote from: CrAz3D on July 08, 2005, 03:10 PM
You believe & are wrong you just die & nothing happens

You don't believe & are wrong you die & end up in hell

Pascal's wager ... however in Christianity, God probably wouldn't follow such a gig.  Faith isn't meant to be analogous to Pascal's wager.  If you are to believe, believe because you truly feel so, and not because of Pascal's wager.

"God is or He is not...Let us weigh the gain and the loss in choosing...'God is.' If you gain, you gain all, if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then, unhesitatingly, that He is."
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PascalsWager.html

Adron

Canned response:

OK, but there are more religions in the world. And there are some with rules such as --you should have no gods beside me...

Suddenly you need to pick say one choice out of 10, where 9 are different gods and 1 is none. And if you pick the wrong one, you lose.....

Banana fanna fo fanna

Agreed

Topaz

Quote from: Adron on July 08, 2005, 05:44 PM
Canned response:

OK, but there are more religions in the world. And there are some with rules such as --you should have no gods beside me...

Suddenly you need to pick say one choice out of 10, where 9 are different gods and 1 is none. And if you pick the wrong one, you lose.....

You don't know religion or haven't studied it too well, then.

Anyway, addressing the stem cell argument- You're going to need to grow the embryo into a state where you can harvest the body parts or whatever it is you want from the clone(?) and grow it however. Are you considering murdering the child after taking the necessary or intended body parts from the host? That's worse than perhaps, what Stalin did. Or, would you rather allow the host to grow without those limbs? I'm surprised that so many people believe that this is the right path. Sure, research it, but why go so far to kill a thousand to benefit another? Does human life matter so little to you?

Oh, and DM: If people without religion truly wish to purs.ue something, then they will do it regardless of restrictions or other's beliefs. And, for the record, I do believe that religion has benefited mankind. You can take it from there to understand why I made that remark. If you can't understand that, then I'll explain- You didn't take the time to make the research on religion's impact on mankind, or you didn't understand it. Plus, you took a rather closed-minded approach towards it, more towards the supposed negativity instead of the positive effects

nslay

Quote from: Topaz on July 08, 2005, 10:12 PM
Oh, and DM: If people without religion truly wish to purs.ue something, then they will do it regardless of restrictions or other's beliefs. And, for the record, I do believe that religion has benefited mankind. You can take it from there to understand why I made that remark. If you can't understand that, then I'll explain- You didn't take the time to make the research on religion's impact on mankind, or you didn't understand it. Plus, you took a rather closed-minded approach towards it, more towards the supposed negativity instead of the positive effects

Indeed. Religion is a powerful regulator of human conduct.
... He [Benjamin Franklin] called them the essentials of every religion.  In their distilled form they were:

That there is one God, who made all things.
That he governs the world by his providence.
That he ought to be worshipped by adoration, prayer and thanksgiving.
But that the most acceptable service of God is doing good to man.
That the soul is immortal.
And that God will certainly reward virtue
and punish vice, either here or hereafter.

This belief to him, was indeed a powerful regulator of his conduct and by it his life's achievements may be best understood and appreciated.

A quote from Benjamin Franklin's, The Art of Virtue

Hostile

Quote from: Topaz on July 08, 2005, 10:12 PM
You don't know religion or haven't studied it too well, then.

Anyway, addressing the stem cell argument- You're going to need to grow the embryo into a state where you can harvest the body parts or whatever it is you want from the clone(?) and grow it however. Are you considering murdering the child after taking the necessary or intended body parts from the host? That's worse than perhaps, what Stalin did. Or, would you rather allow the host to grow without those limbs? I'm surprised that so many people believe that this is the right path. Sure, research it, but why go so far to kill a thousand to benefit another? Does human life matter so little to you?

You're so far mislead and stubborn for that matter, to not even acknowledge the other aspects of stem cell research. You're point is growing very old, as thats your own, very (quote) "uneducated" comprehension of the research. By killing off stem cell research you're not stopping potential future misuse and inhumane actions which are also considered a part of it. You're killing off all the part that can cure gene mutations just by using umbilical cords. That -is- stem cell research too, you know. As for embryos, you're obviously too stubborn to understand that the only ones that have ever been used we're from actions that are already in progress, and would be and still are thrown into the garbage, anyways! Now, opposing to taking them and then growing it into a human being, is cloning. Thats being opposed to cloning humans, not being opposed to stem cell research. (So much for calling everyone uneducated)

Religion has helped mankind. Like I said, it was used to control people in past times. That was very neccessary then, we didn't know what we know now back then. Its just anouther part of human progression.

PS: Stop being so hypocritical. Say your opinions, ask questions, learn, teach, but don't counter any point you're trying to get out by calling out other peoples views by saying their uneducated, biased, closed mind, when you're no better.
- Hostile is sexy.

|