• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Stem cell research

Started by Banana fanna fo fanna, June 28, 2005, 09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Arta

Cloning people in the sense that people seem to be using here is science fiction. Talking about cloning in a conversation about stem cells is nonsensical fear-mongering.

Topaz

It's very realistic. We'll be cloning humans legally or illegally in a matter of years.

shout

Quote from: Topaz on July 03, 2005, 07:22 PM
And really, who wants to grow up with an older You? That's funny, as cloning is not modifying genes, its copying the original's complete genetic makeup and putting it in another human's body to grow normally. Another question: How is cloning going to help people live normal or better lives? Creating specific body parts, or engineering entire human beings for use as spare parts? You're going to need to answer to yourself, not me, on that one. Do you consider it morally right to create and destroy humans at a whim? Are you truly that selfish, that self serving, to act as a god?

Who says we need to grow entire humans? I think it would be quite simple to grow single organs, IE hearts for people who's hearts have failed them, livers for people with liver cancer, or new muscles for people with muscular distrophy. Stem cell research != cloning. Creating copies of people is not the point of stem cell research. Helping people is. Of course, as with anything, you will have people abusing it.

Quote from: Topaz on July 03, 2005, 07:22 PM
Also, I'm entitled to my opinion as you are yours, however twisted yours happens to be.

That is uncalled for. I could say you opinions are twisted for not being for purseing something that could save and increase the quality of life of thousands. Choose your words wisely.

Quote from: Arta[vL] on July 03, 2005, 07:51 PM
Cloning people in the sense that people seem to be using here is science fiction. Talking about cloning in a conversation about stem cells is nonsensical fear-mongering.

Agreed.

Topaz

I really can't foresee how you would harvest and nurture those specific organs without fertilizing the egg and creating a human first, but I'm not a scientist.

shout

Quote from: Topaz on July 03, 2005, 08:48 PM
I really can't foresee how you would harvest and nurture those specific organs without fertilizing the egg and creating a human first, but I'm not a scientist.

Key point:

but I'm not a scientist.

Neither am I. The best I can do is speculate. But I do know that the egg must be fertilized. Does it need to grow into an entire human? Most likely not.

Adron

It's really all about what you think this "human" you're talking about is... Is a single fertilized egg a human? Is a single cell a human? (if it is, it gets even more interesting to figure out whether the cell is two humans if this is an egg going to turn into twins)

If I were to chop off my arm, I'd say the arm was the arm, and I was the human, but what if I grew an extra arm off some stem cells? We're already growing skin btw.

Topaz

It's more about what that embryo's going to grow into, not the current state it's in.

shout

Quote from: Topaz on July 04, 2005, 08:17 AM
It's more about what that embryo's going to grow into, not the current state it's in.

That does not make sense. When a baby is born, leave it on the ground to get up, get a job and support itself, treat it like an adult, because 'thats what it's going to grow into'.

Topaz

ITS A HUMAN BEING YOU'RE FUCKING WITH, NOT YOUR OWN BODY OR OF YOUR OWN CHOICE. IT DID NOT CHOOSE TO BE CLONED OR GENETICALLY ALTERED. HOW CAN YOU NOT UNDERSTAND IT?

shout

Quote from: Topaz on July 04, 2005, 03:19 PM
ITS A HUMAN BEING YOU'RE FUCKING WITH, NOT YOUR OWN BODY OR OF YOUR OWN CHOICE. IT DID NOT CHOOSE TO BE CLONED OR GENETICALLY ALTERED. HOW CAN YOU NOT UNDERSTAND IT?

Thats uncalled for. Don't get so emotional over an internet discussion.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: Shout on July 03, 2005, 09:59 AM
Quote from: Banana fanna fo fanna on July 01, 2005, 10:31 PM
Quote from: Shout on June 30, 2005, 10:37 PM
It seems that Bush has a problem killing things that do not yet have conciousness, yet he is okay going to war and killing thousands.

Shut the hell up. People like you are why I'm not a democrat.

It's not true then?

It would take too much effort to make a watertight explanation of how that is a generic and unapplicable argument.

Adron

Quote from: Topaz on July 04, 2005, 08:17 AM

The current state is everything. Look down the toilet bowl next time you've visited it, and consider if it looks like a human. Your excrement will some day be someone.

Besides, if you consider what things will grow into, realize that everyone will some day die. We'll all be mucus. And then we'll be new people.

Hostile

Quote from: Topaz on July 04, 2005, 03:19 PM

lol, There have been speculations that we could grow/"engineer" specific organism's, without cloning an entire human being. Once again, people like you who fight this won't even let us try and figure out a way to do that.
- Hostile is sexy.

Hostile

There for justifying everything you've debated so far to have absolutely no standing, other then your personal opinion of not thinking its not worth trying because you and people like you have absolutly no idea.

So yes, why don't we all try and convince other people to not futher our knowledge on something just because we currently are totally ignorant on the subject and have no true knowledge to the extent of the benefits(or cost for those benefits) of this research. Thats what you're really trying to convince people of, to be stupid and not try.

All we can do now is speculate, to the potential benefits and costs of this research. Objecting to that is sheer stupidity, and due to there being no basis for not trying to further our knowledge on any subject for that matter. I pity people like you because you're either arguing something you really don't understand, or just being lazy, good luck getting through life with that attitude.
- Hostile is sexy.

CrAz3D

I don't think you could grow an arm straight from an embryo...I think the embryo would have to be more developed (like a fetus?) & then chop it off & grow it more.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

|