• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Dubya is Metal

Started by Hitmen, January 21, 2005, 04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adron

That's definitely the sign of the devil here. But then, how much can we expect from him? He isn't all that clever. A wise leader would be aware of which signs are good to make, and which are inappropriate to some cultures.

I suppose he's teaming up with a certain english prince, who enjoys dressing up in nazi clothing, even when it might be disturbing to a few people. Bush should do some heil hitlers too, just to keep up.

CrAz3D

Well, since I don't believe that in the US the sign means he supports the devil, then maybe the rest of the world shouldn't watch.  Mind their own damn business, he was showing school support...maybe THEY need to be aware of what the sign meant before assuming he supports the devil.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Hitmen

I'm pretty sure the signs meaning has been drawn away from supporting the devil and, outside of a few thousand people in texas, is now recognized as the universal symbol of heavy metal. These guys agree with me.

j0k3r

Quote from: CrAz3D on January 25, 2005, 10:29 AM
Well, since I don't believe that in the US the sign means he supports the devil, then maybe the rest of the world shouldn't watch. Mind their own damn business, he was showing school support...maybe THEY need to be aware of what the sign meant before assuming he supports the devil.
If someone from mongolia gave you the middle finger, would you know he is saying "goodluck"? I doubt it's the case, but you can't be aware of customs of cultures from all over the world. I didn't know it was the longhorn's symbol until this thread, even though I watch college football from time to time and have friends who talk about college football all the time.

My first post was a joke, not to be taken literally.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

CrAz3D

If I saw a Mongolian flipping me off I'd be upset, but uf the Mongolian did it to his own people during a parade in his own country I wouldn't have flipped, I would've wondered what it meant for a while then went on about my day...not acting like it was some international scandal.
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

hismajesty

Quote from: Adron on January 25, 2005, 10:12 AM
That's definitely the sign of the devil here. But then, how much can we expect from him? He isn't all that clever. A wise leader would be aware of which signs are good to make, and which are inappropriate to some cultures.

I suppose he's teaming up with a certain english prince, who enjoys dressing up in nazi clothing, even when it might be disturbing to a few people. Bush should do some heil hitlers too, just to keep up.

Ah, so now Bush is at fault for not knowing the culture of every other country in the world? Is this guy anything but a scapegoat to you?

Adron

If it was anyone it wouldn't be as big a thing as if it is a president. Presidents, as well as princes, are supposed to be careful with what they do....

Making devil signs or satanistic signs goes together with the image of heavy metal, that's why they started using the signs in the first place...

Adron

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on January 25, 2005, 04:42 PM
Ah, so now Bush is at fault for not knowing the culture of every other country in the world? Is this guy anything but a scapegoat to you?

He's a moron? But yes, not knowing what the culture is in every other country but the USA, thinking that everyone is just like Americans, that is one of his biggest flaws.

"Hey! Why don't you Iraqis love us? We're bringing you FREEDOM in Coke cans!"

hismajesty

I think we should just blame the College, I mean - obviously - had they not chosen that symbol this would never of happened. Or, maybe we should blame Bush for living in Texas. Not sure, but it seems as you're looking for anything you can in order to criticize him. Did you know that the symbol was for the Longhorns, Adron? Do you think whoever is in charge of Sweden would?

CrAz3D

I think we should blame the damn Norwegians for not knowing the 'Hook 'em horns" symbol
(ré-bun-dance)

hismajesty

I agree. Adron would never accept that somebody besides Bush could possibly be at fault, oh well.

Adron

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on January 25, 2005, 05:06 PM
I think we should just blame the College, I mean - obviously - had they not chosen that symbol this would never of happened.

Indeed, it's a lousy choice of symbol. They ought to change it asap. Others have changed their symbols when it has become clear to them that it has a negative connotation. IIRC, part of the finnish airforce used the svastika as their symbol at some time. After the symbol became synonymous with nazis, they ended up changing it. Of course, I'm sure Bush wouldn't be opposed to dressing up in svastikas.

Did you know that the symbol was for the Longhorns, Adron? Do you think whoever is in charge of Sweden would?

No, but I do know to be careful with symbol language. Gestures can have very different meanings in different cultures. If I had tv cameras pointed at me all the time, I would be careful with such things. Luckily, I don't, so I don't have to be so careful. What I wouldn't do is go for the Bush way of stampeding over other cultures.

Grok

Quote from: Adron on January 25, 2005, 04:46 PM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on January 25, 2005, 04:42 PM

He's a moron? But yes, not knowing what the culture is in every other country but the USA, thinking that everyone is just like Americans, that is one of his biggest flaws.

"Hey! Why don't you Iraqis love us? We're bringing you FREEDOM in Coke cans!"

That's nothing but troll bait.  You should know better.  If I made the same statements as the above, you would rip every word apart, every intent and meaning, since they are nearly all wrong but one -- that part about lack of all cultures being one of his biggest flaws.

Even Americans are divided on whether Iraq should have been invaded.  The Britney Spears of the world have blind support for the president and "all his decisions", so not talking about them.  Aside from whether the invasion should have happened, now that it has, yes, we are installing a version of freedom in Iraq there, sans Coke.  Did they not already have Coke, and who cares anyway?

CrAz3D

Quote from: Adron on January 26, 2005, 07:57 AM
I think we should just blame the College, I mean - obviously - had they not chosen that symbol this would never of happened.

Indeed, it's a lousy choice of symbol. They ought to change it asap. Others have changed their symbols when it has become clear to them that it has a negative connotation. IIRC, part of the finnish airforce used the svastika as their symbol at some time. After the symbol became synonymous with nazis, they ended up changing it. Of course, I'm sure Bush wouldn't be opposed to dressing up in svastikas.

Did you know that the symbol was for the Longhorns, Adron? Do you think whoever is in charge of Sweden would?

No, but I do know to be careful with symbol language. Gestures can have very different meanings in different cultures. If I had tv cameras pointed at me all the time, I would be careful with such things. Luckily, I don't, so I don't have to be so careful. What I wouldn't do is go for the Bush way of stampeding over other cultures.
Stampeding over other cultures?!...by the damn Norweigans assuming his supports the devil THEY are trampling over Texas culture, I think we should fucking blow them up!...those damn people assuming things because they aren't familiar with OUR customs that are used at OUR events showing support for OUR schools & citizens.
(ré-bun-dance)

hismajesty

Yeah I agree, why should Americans be the only ones intune with everybody elses topic? It's already clear that the rest of the world hates us, they're just looking for anything to strengthen their case against us an our President.

And, Adron, I ask again - do you think that Carl XVI Gustaf or Göran Persson know/knew what that symbol meant to American/Texas college culture?

|