• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Dubya is Metal

Started by Hitmen, January 21, 2005, 04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrAz3D

Why is the US always trying not to step on toes about every little thing, why don't the Norweigans try & becareful about calling the President of the United States of America a satanist?  Other countries are TRYING to find something wrong with the US to complain about.  We were criticized by how much aid we originally gave to the Asian countries hit by the tsunami...you know what, screw those damn countries!  Who helped the US when Flordia was hit over & over again by hurricanes?  Who helped the US when most of the mid-west was on fire a few years ago?  No one, that is who.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Adron

Quote from: Grok on January 26, 2005, 10:01 AM
Quote from: Adron on January 25, 2005, 04:46 PM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on January 25, 2005, 04:42 PM
Ah, so now Bush is at fault for not knowing the culture of every other country in the world? Is this guy anything but a scapegoat to you?

He's a moron? But yes, not knowing what the culture is in every other country but the USA, thinking that everyone is just like Americans, that is one of his biggest flaws.

"Hey! Why don't you Iraqis love us? We're bringing you FREEDOM in Coke cans!"

That's nothing but troll bait.  You should know better.  If I made the same statements as the above, you would rip every word apart, every intent and meaning, since they are nearly all wrong but one -- that part about lack of all cultures being one of his biggest flaws.

It's 1/3 troll bait stupid reply about him being a moron when asked if he's anything but a scapegoat. It's 1/3 comment / opinion, pointing out that I think he's lacking in knowledge of other cultures. And it's 1/3 exaggerating how europeans look at him as trying to bring american values to other cultures and being surprised when those and the soldiers bringing them aren't embraced.

Even Americans are divided on whether Iraq should have been invaded.  The Britney Spears of the world have blind support for the president and "all his decisions", so not talking about them.  Aside from whether the invasion should have happened, now that it has, yes, we are installing a version of freedom in Iraq there, sans Coke.  Did they not already have Coke, and who cares anyway?

Pretty sure they did have Coke before. Coke and McDonalds are very successful exports of America, and they seem to penetrate even areas that resist other forms of American culture and "freedom".

Adron

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on January 26, 2005, 12:25 PM
And, Adron, I ask again - do you think that Carl XVI Gustaf or Göran Persson know/knew what that symbol meant to American/Texas college culture?

I don't think Carl XVI Gustaf would know - he's been known to make similar mistakes and gotten a lot of critizism for it. He's just supposed to be careful, strict, and not make any mistakes. That's what we expect of him. I would expect from Göran Persson to know before making such a gesture on tv, both how it would be interpreted locally where he is, and how it would be interpreted globally, on each continent.

Basically I'd say leaders should pick from two options: Know what you're going to do means before you do it, or don't do it.

hismajesty

He knew what he was doing means: 'Hook em' Horns'

I think people would like Bush if he just sat in a chair and didn't move. If he waves the wrong way people try to make it look like he's doing the Nazi salute, etc.

This Inaguration was an American ordeal, not a worldwide one. If you're watching a program designed for Americans, be intune with American culture.

j0k3r

Quote from: Adron on January 27, 2005, 03:48 AM
Quote from: Adron on January 25, 2005, 04:46 PM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on January 25, 2005, 04:42 PM
Ah, so now Bush is at fault for not knowing the culture of every other country in the world? Is this guy anything but a scapegoat to you?
He's a moron? But yes, not knowing what the culture is in every other country but the USA, thinking that everyone is just like Americans, that is one of his biggest flaws.
"Hey! Why don't you Iraqis love us? We're bringing you FREEDOM in Coke cans!"
That's nothing but troll bait.  You should know better.  If I made the same statements as the above, you would rip every word apart, every intent and meaning, since they are nearly all wrong but one -- that part about lack of all cultures being one of his biggest flaws.
It's 1/3 troll bait stupid reply about him being a moron when asked if he's anything but a scapegoat. It's 1/3 comment / opinion, pointing out that I think he's lacking in knowledge of other cultures. And it's 1/3 exaggerating how europeans look at him as trying to bring american values to other cultures and being surprised when those and the soldiers bringing them aren't embraced.
Even Americans are divided on whether Iraq should have been invaded.  The Britney Spears of the world have blind support for the president and "all his decisions", so not talking about them.  Aside from whether the invasion should have happened, now that it has, yes, we are installing a version of freedom in Iraq there, sans Coke.  Did they not already have Coke, and who cares anyway?
Pretty sure they did have Coke before. Coke and McDonalds are very successful exports of America, and they seem to penetrate even areas that resist other forms of American culture and "freedom".
Am I the only person that sees that as satire? He's using an effective form of criticism to attack a larger power than himself, namely the majority of the users on this forum.

I for one see nothing wrong with what he did. As it was explained, he was supporting his school and showing some spirit, I know I would do the same. Some idiot thought it would be clever to trick people into thinking Bush is satanic and turn the world against him. The whole thing was taken out of context, and had they known what was going on at the time (probably other longhorn fans were doing it too) it's possible people wouldn't be crying over it. I fail to see how this would affect other cultures either, are there people who actually believe that doing that with your hands is a sign you've made a pact with the devil? How does it threaten their safety or way of life?

I find this as stupid as this kid that told me I owed him cause I'm white and white people enslaved black people. People have some sort of ideology and are too hell bent on it letting go of it no matter how stupid it is.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

CrAz3D

QuoteI fail to see how this would affect other cultures either, are there people who actually believe that doing that with your hands is a sign you've made a pact with the devil?
...I believe that those people that think that you're affiliated with the devil because you made some hand gesture that has been around for, as far as we know, millions of years, are VERY narrow minded.  The ones who support the narrow minded people must be even more idiotic than the ones they are supporting.
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

DOOM

Quote from: Adron on January 25, 2005, 10:12 AM
That's definitely the sign of the devil here. But then, how much can we expect from him? He isn't all that clever. A wise leader would be aware of which signs are good to make, and which are inappropriate to some cultures.

I suppose he's teaming up with a certain english prince, who enjoys dressing up in nazi clothing, even when it might be disturbing to a few people. Bush should do some heil hitlers too, just to keep up.

The gesture is commonly used in the United States in connection to heavy metal music or the "Hook 'em Horns" for the University of Texas.  The gesture obviously has several uses, most of which do not carry a negative meaning.  Since you compare this to a "certain english prince," perhaps you could explain to the rest of us the positive connotations in wearing Nazi uniforms.  Otherwise I see no connection.

The "incident" happened during Bush's inauguration, an event that is of primary importance to Americans.  Why in the hell would he be expected to make sure that every little gesture he makes isn't going to offend someone living in a hole in the ground on the other side of the world?  If he was in a foreign country, I would agree that he should be mindful of their languages and gestures.  But while he is at his own inauguration?  That's absurd.

CrAz3D

It seems absurd to us red blooded Americans, however there are afew other members of the forum that are too closed minded about things
(ré-bun-dance)

Hitmen

You people will argue about fucking anything

Adron

Quote from: DOOM on January 27, 2005, 01:26 PM
The gesture is commonly used in the United States in connection to heavy metal music or the "Hook 'em Horns" for the University of Texas.  The gesture obviously has several uses, most of which do not carry a negative meaning.  Since you compare this to a "certain english prince," perhaps you could explain to the rest of us the positive connotations in wearing Nazi uniforms.  Otherwise I see no connection.

Well, the svastika is a symbol for the sun. If it hadn't been for the nazis using it, I think everyone would've had positive or no connotations for it. To find someone with a positive connotation for it today, look for people who haven't suffered from nazis. There are bound to be some.

Quote from: DOOM on January 27, 2005, 01:26 PM
The "incident" happened during Bush's inauguration, an event that is of primary importance to Americans.  Why in the hell would he be expected to make sure that every little gesture he makes isn't going to offend someone living in a hole in the ground on the other side of the world?  If he was in a foreign country, I would agree that he should be mindful of their languages and gestures.  But while he is at his own inauguration?  That's absurd.

Hmm, I suppose you may want to see it that way. Still, decisions he makes may have an effect on foreign countries, so in a way, his inauguration is important to others. It was quite obviously seen in other countries...

CrAz3D

Prince Harry flat out wore a "WWII German" uniform with the swastika on it, he wasn't misunderstood that he was trying to support a school he likes, he did it just because.  Bush had good intent.
(ré-bun-dance)

EpicOfTimeWasted

Quote from: Adron on January 25, 2005, 10:12 AMBush should do some heil hitlers too, just to keep up.

I have nothing to add to the conversation, other than to mention that this almost made me fall out of my chair laughing.  Ahh, what would I do without you Adron...

Forged

First
The symbol has nothing to do with satan, Ronnie James Dio(the guy who made it popular) was talking about it on vh1.  He said his grandmother did it when he was a child, and it meant protection from the evil eye.

Second
Who gives a fuck what a bunch of norwegians think?  The president was cheering on his school of choice's band.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

CrAz3D

Quote from: Forged on January 27, 2005, 06:33 PM
First
The symbol has nothing to do with satan, Ronnie James Dio(the guy who made it popular) was talking about it on vh1.  He said his grandmother did it when he was a child, and it meant protection from the evil eye.

Second
Who gives a fuck what a bunch of norwegians think?  The president was cheering on his school of choice's band.
I saw that on VH1 too.

YaY!, Forged supports the right side this time!  <3!
(ré-bun-dance)

Forged

or Forged just happens to be a UT fan :P
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

|