• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Why do people hate Christians and Jews, but are OK with Muslims and Athiests?

Started by Banana fanna fo fanna, December 06, 2004, 06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

quasi-modo

Rebby, Your repeatedly compare us to being blind because we chose another path from you. What makes you so damn special, honestly? So special to where you can say that we are all wrong for having our beliefs? Can you answer me that? I am tired of calling us sheep, which is bogus when many of us chose chritianity and were not lead by the nose into it, and I am tired of you calling us blind. I think it is you who is closed minded. Because you continue to bash my religion and not make decent points I am going to have to try my hardest to ignore you. How about you get some social skills and quit bashing other people's beleifs and going on like you are right and everyone who disagrees is blind or moronic.

PS: about us listening to what you have to say: Of course we will not listen to what you have to say, because everything you have posted in this thread has been an insult to any christian... thats really tollerance right there. You are bashing our religion. Think a bit. Honestly. What do you expect? You are wrong on this one rebby. Grow up or no one around here is going to listen to you or take you seriously.

Arta: Please do not remove this post as a personal attack. I am just trying to post what I feel and what I am seeing here.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

j0k3r

I've refrained from this too because Rebby is set in his opinion, but quasi-modo looks to be on his own...

Rebby, what you have is an opinion, everyone has one, yours isn't any more right than the next person. You seem to think Christians are some sort of mutt, not thinking for themselves, doing what their told, it's ignorant. There are thousands of people like you, Christians deal with it every day, if they had any doubts they would long be out. 85% of pastors are not just in it for the money, Christians are not blind sheep, you're ignorant.

Open my eyes? Open your mind, what you see isn't always what you get.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Rebby

this has gotten pathetic and im removing my part in this arguement
this isnt where it was intended to go but you people just look for something to fight about and argue about and make these things degenerate just like this did instead of actually having a conversation about it.
im done with this thread and im not posting on it again

quasi-modo

Quote from: Rebby on December 18, 2004, 10:45 PM
this has gotten pathetic and im removing my part in this arguement
this isnt where it was intended to go but you people just look for something to fight about and argue about and make these things degenerate just like this did instead of actually having a conversation about it.
im done with this thread and im not posting on it again

Rebby... you never seice to amaze me. You are acting like we are the bad guys here. You act like we are picking on you and just trying to start a fight and that we are not listening to you, but all the while you are insulting us! Thank you for removing yourself from this thread.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

DOOM

Don't insult people and their beliefs and maybe they'll be willing to sit down and have a conversation with you.

Adron

Quote from: quasi-modo on December 18, 2004, 12:50 PM
There are tons of records. Plenty of documents all over the place about many different events in the bible. You may or may not believe Jesus died and rose, but weather you like it or not, a man named Jesus lived, knew the scripture, pissed of the pharasees because they did not want to loose their following, was tortured, was crucified, and his remains were not found in the cave they were left in, however the 'towel' as it was called was found neatly folded.

But how solid are those? What's to say there wasn't a rioter named Jesus, who was picked up for assaulting a police officer, tortured and crucified. Then some creative thinker figured he'd make a hero story of it, embroidered it out a bit with details on how the body had disappeared, and eventually that story made it into various records all over the place.

DOOM

But how solid are those? What's to say there wasn't a rioter named Jesus, who was picked up for assaulting a police officer, tortured and crucified. Then some creative thinker figured he'd make a hero story of it, embroidered it out a bit with details on how the body had disappeared, and eventually that story made it into various records all over the place.

Couldn't you use that same argument for just about anything that you didn't witness personally?  The moon landing was apparently faked at Area 51, for example (if you remember the Fox special).  Since I wasn't there to watch them land on the moon, maybe they never did...  ::)

Adron

Quote from: DOOM on December 19, 2004, 03:29 PM
Couldn't you use that same argument for just about anything that you didn't witness personally?  The moon landing was apparently faked at Area 51, for example (if you remember the Fox special).  Since I wasn't there to watch them land on the moon, maybe they never did...  ::)

Yes. Even for things I did witness myself (think magic tricks!)...

What you have to do then is consider the credibility of the sources. The bible is full of highly incredible things, making it a low credibility source.

DOOM

So because something contains an "incredible" story, that is a sufficient case for it to be low credibility?  Going to the moon seems pretty incredible...

Granted, I am not suggesting that you automatically believe everything you see, hear, or read, but I don't think it should be dismissed offhand either.

quasi-modo

Credibility is like beauty... it is in the eye of the beholder, or rather reader in this case.
WAR EAGLE!

Adron

Quote from: DOOM on December 19, 2004, 09:54 PM
So because something contains an "incredible" story, that is a sufficient case for it to be low credibility?  Going to the moon seems pretty incredible...

Granted, I am not suggesting that you automatically believe everything you see, hear, or read, but I don't think it should be dismissed offhand either.

If something contains stories that go against knowledge, then that lowers its credibility. The "miracles" covered by the bible work to its disadvantage.

The possibility of going to the moon isn't contradicted by any knowledge I'm aware of.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Adron on December 20, 2004, 11:04 AM
Quote from: DOOM on December 19, 2004, 09:54 PM

If something contains stories that go against knowledge, then that lowers its credibility. The "miracles" covered by the bible work to its disadvantage.

The possibility of going to the moon isn't contradicted by any knowledge I'm aware of.
Well there is a whole group of people who say it never happened. But then again there are those who still say the earth is flat and that the holocaust never happened.
WAR EAGLE!

DOOM

Quote from: Adron on December 20, 2004, 11:04 AM

I do believe we landed on the moon, but I still found the show about it all being a hoax fascinating.  You might enjoy it yourself.  It's been awhile since I've seen it, so I can't remember what all evidence they presented was.  One thing I do remember is that the US flag appeared to be waving, as if being blown by wind.  Another thing was that there appeared to be "too many" light sources (their explanation is that it was stage lighting on the set the moon landing was faked on).  Also, the astronaughts' bunny hops look like they were just running on Earth when the video is sped up.

As far as I can see though, most people acknowledge that Jesus existed.  Not all believe in the list of miracles you talked about though.  I wasn't there, so I can't say anything for sure, but I do know what I believe.

You know they also believe King Arthur existed?  He probably didn't have a sword from a stone and he probably didn't have knights sitting around a round table.  More than likely he was a warlord who put together an army that won some battles against the invaders.

Adron

I actually thought King Arthur existed, but that the stories around him were just stories. And I can believe that there was someone whom the bible's story about Jesus is based on. The actual stories themselves still don't have to have any more truth to them than the stories about King Arthur and his knights of the round table.

It's a fine story, but I don't pray for King Arthur and his knights to come and take me to paradise... :)

And, I wouldn't be very surprised if some of the clips of the moon landing were actually fakes. Some studio footage to use to embroider out the news reporting. It would make some sense to do that just to present a more interesting story.

DOOM

Quote from: Adron on December 20, 2004, 03:53 PM
The actual stories themselves still don't have to have any more truth to them than the stories about King Arthur and his knights of the round table.

Weren't the stories about King Arthur written down several hundred years after his death whereas the Gospels are believed to have been written within 100 years of Jesus' death?  I'd think it would be a lot easier for stuff to get distorted in several hundred years than it would in less than a hundred.

It's a fine story, but I don't pray for King Arthur and his knights to come and take me to paradise... :)

No... but I don't ask for Neil Armstrong to come take me away to the moon either.  I only brought up the King Arthur example to show that there is usually some basis in fact for these stories and that they shouldn't simply be dismissed.

And, I wouldn't be very surprised if some of the clips of the moon landing were actually fakes. Some studio footage to use to embroider out the news reporting. It would make some sense to do that just to present a more interesting story.

Hard to tell.  Especially at the height of the Cold War, anything to make us look better than the commies...

|