• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Why do people hate Christians and Jews, but are OK with Muslims and Athiests?

Started by Banana fanna fo fanna, December 06, 2004, 06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

hismajesty

Quote from: j0k3r on December 13, 2004, 09:15 PM
Quote from: Hazard on December 13, 2004, 07:02 PM
So its okay for a black guy walking down the street to yell "Hey Nigger!" to his buddy... but its not okay for anybody else to use the word ever?
Correct.

Because their ancestors were abused by our ancestors, we now owe them the right to say what they want and they get special treatment. Hell, we even owe them a black history month. Including christian-related holidays and traditions in with other cultures' celebrations is obvious disrespect and we can't have that happening.

And their own television station!

hismajesty

It's safe to say that you're a deist/rationalist, much like the majority of the people who founded America.  :)

Anyway, I don't think it's right to say that people who follow a religion are morons. The bible is much more open to individual interpretation today, the church doesn't control everything as it once did. Also, lots of religions are beginning to interpret the bible a lot differently - in a metaphorical way. They are changing, so it's not just something from years and years ago.

j0k3r

So state of mind seperates all these different beliefs? That's funny, because I've met people from other religions in the same state of mind as myself. I find much of what you're saying unfounded and incorrect, however I will not bother arguing with you.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

quasi-modo

Quotelets take the bible for instance
its all bias based on the point of view of the person who is telling the story, what they are trying to say, the meaning behind what they are trying to say, etc.

id say a good 85 percent of the people who lead the christian faith are only doing it because they are afraid of what they think will happen if they are wrong (incoming:  the preacher with talks about hell and damnation) the other 15 percent are just sheep blindly following whatever they are told. i am not saying that good comes from religion who takes it upon itself to help people who need help, but you dont need to pay for the preachers cadillac to feel good about yourself and help people
I like that 85% and that 15% numbers.  There is a lot more to it then just am I going to heaven when I die or not, so I am not sure if you really understand what being christian is all about, but I guess I probably shouldn't for expect that from someone who claims to be an atheist. Lets just say my quality of life has improved since I have come to the lord and it changed my perspective on a whole lot of things. PS: Our preacher and his wife live in a small house and drive an pretty darned old lincoln town car. That pastor does not take much money for pay. Our church has a couple hundred members and a majority of the tithe money goes to missionaries, not to church employee pay. Not every pastor is a corrupt televangelist. You seem to have the wrong imporession... a warped view.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

quasi-modo

Quote from: Rebby on December 17, 2004, 10:22 PM
the bible is nothing, a book, fiction, something that may or may not have even happened and i seriously lean toward did not.
Historical records backup a great deal of the news testament. The bible is not fiction, it is a book of history
Quoteits nothing and i am suprised everyday how many people blindly follow something without looking around them and thinking hmm is this even possible?
Its called faith, and what exactly are you referring to that you consider impossible, what event?
Quotei submit that the people that post here want to consider themselves enlightened yet you turn a blind eye to the glaring inaccuracy right in front of you. i may have been taking it a bit far when i said the people are morons but it is so frustrating to deal with people who will take 1 thing, you call them up on it and challenge it, and each one gives you their opinion about how it COULD be true against all odds. how its GOT to be true because there is no other viable answer and anyone who thinks otherwise is to be pitied.

and joker, you were so quick to disagree with me that you didnt even let what i said sink in. state of mind is all that seperates people and if your talking to those people and realised that you have the same state of mind then you dont qualify as being seperated by the barrier do you? there are many people who wont even try to find out what kind of state of mind you have and judge you strictly on your age, sex, religion, color, diet, or favorite color and deem you not even worth talking to based on that.
Look, you are not going to convirt anyone from their religion. Saying a few things like "christianity is not logical" Is not going to make all of the resident christians say "Oh, wow, I have been wrong for all of these years". Give up. You bashing christianity is just going to start a massive debate/argument.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Adron

Quote from: quasi-modo on December 17, 2004, 10:29 PM
the bible is nothing, a book, fiction, something that may or may not have even happened and i seriously lean toward did not.
Historical records backup a great deal of the news testament. The bible is not fiction, it is a book of history

What things does it back up? Any more than many fiction novels written today would be backed up by history in a thousand years? There was a world war 2, hitler lead germany, ... Include some random true facts, and the whole thing suddenly "history", not fiction?

quasi-modo

Quote from: Adron on December 17, 2004, 10:32 PM
Quote from: quasi-modo on December 17, 2004, 10:29 PM

What things does it back up? Any more than many fiction novels written today would be backed up by history in a thousand years? There was a world war 2, hitler lead germany, ... Include some random true facts, and the whole thing suddenly "history", not fiction?
How about records of events that happened in the new testament? You have records of the incarceration, torture, and crucifiction of a man named Jesus at Galgotha. You have records of a man named John being exiled. You have records of every deciple - John being crucified, even records that peter was crucified upsidedown. Also, the well documented canon of the new testament and wealth of documentation by the early church. I have some good literature about the accuracy of the bible.
WAR EAGLE!

quasi-modo

Quote from: Rebby on December 17, 2004, 11:02 PM
i did not say i was trying to convert anyone, i said i just wished someone would say hmm that sort of makes sense.
You are therefore trying to convince us all that christianity makes no sence and therefore convirt us from it. It is a bad Idea to attempt to do something like this. I would advise you never do it in person or you might loose some friends when you step on their toes
Quoteand btw what news reports are you talking about? when the discovery channel did a special on the wrappings jesus was supposed to have been wrapped up in?
news reports? Discovery channel? No, I am talking about histoical documentation. + The discovery channel seems to be blasphemy, this is the same channel that says that noah built the arc to escpe some debts and take some animals with him.
where was the bush when the jews were getting exterminated? where was the bush when americans were jumpin out of the world trade center as it was crumbling? where was the bush when we were carpet bombing the middle east? as far as i know in the last 2 thousand years of reported history that bush hasnt resurfaced to help anyone else nor has writing on a wall. face it the bible  was written by people who were so desperate for something to believe in that they would believe in anything (including animals) if it made them feel better about themselves and about their current situation, if it got them food and water they were behind it 100%. i bet someone is gonna say soon im going to hell for having my own opinion thats how these christians think.  just like adron said, you take a few facts mix them up with fiction and this is what you get.
You seem to be saying where is God? Well he came to the world physically already in the form of his sun. He will be back one more time, but it will be to rescue the believers before the world is destroyed. Why is God going to have magical burning bushers appear in order to show people that he exists when his word clearly states that we need to have faith. Jesus performed miricles before thousands and they still rejected him, how would a voice in a bush convine people?

I am not going to say you are going to hell, that would be judging you. But you are about to start a big argument when you say that christianity is a bunch of crap. You think you are so intelligent and that you see what others do not see, yet you do not even understand the underlying concepts behind christianity it seems and I am willing to bet you have never studied the bible. PS: Like I said before, the news testament of the bible is extremely well documented. It is not just something wirrten by a guy like you have said, it was wirrten be several guys who lived and traveled with Jesus. When they are Canonized officially John was still alive, and when the new church accpeted the books most of them were still alive.
WAR EAGLE!

Adron

Quote from: quasi-modo on December 17, 2004, 10:50 PM
How about records of events that happened in the new testament? You have records of the incarceration, torture, and crucifiction of a man named Jesus at Galgotha. You have records of a man named John being exiled. You have records of every deciple - John being crucified, even records that peter was crucified upsidedown. Also, the well documented canon of the new testament and wealth of documentation by the early church. I have some good literature about the accuracy of the bible.

I haven't seen those records, and I'm doubtful of how detailed / accurate they are, but either way, if I was writing a fictional story today, I might include any number of current events just to flower it out. Much like if you watch a TV show, say Seinfeld, and you could verify that there was a red light at that crossing at that time, that there was a newspaper named bla, that ....

DOOM

Quote from: Rebby on December 18, 2004, 12:23 AM
lemme tell you somethin about faith, faith is worthless and the last resort of the weak minded who cannot come with any other arguement but is afraid to admit they are wrong.

You sir, need a dictionary.  Faith (as defined by a dictionary.com): Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.  Do you have faith that gravity exists or that evolution exists?  Can you taste, touch, or see either of them?  Is there not a measure of faith that goes into believing those concepts as well as those in any religion?

about a week later they came back and let my great grandmother know what had happened and she called my parents crying saying they had no right to interfier with her beliefs. she died febuary 10th 1997.

that is what organized religion is about, preying on the fear of elderly people that are afraid not to believe?

What right did your parents have to interfere with her beliefs?  Who the hell are you to judge her or why she wanted to donate money to the church?

but hey thats ok keep your faith sheep

You throw around lots of BS to try to belittle the beliefs of others without providing any real information or intellectual content.  Did you ever consider that maybe some people find your ideas as ridiculous as you find theirs?  Of course not.  You sound like every other closed minded hypocritical "non-conformist" - pissed off at the world because it doesn't dance to your little tune.  And the only way that you can feel good about yourself is if you listen to your sad, depressing emo music while telling your friends that everyone else is just a bunch of sheep while being totally oblivious to the fact that you are in fact a sheep of the so-called "non-conformists" who feel the need to rebel against the imaginary injustices committed against them.  You sir, are what is wrong with the world.  Your hate, intolerance, and arrogance is what is holding us back, not organized religion.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Rebby on December 18, 2004, 02:21 AM
Quote from: DOOM on December 18, 2004, 01:39 AM
You throw around lots of BS to try to belittle the beliefs of others without providing any real information or intellectual content.  Did you ever consider that maybe some people find your ideas as ridiculous as you find theirs?  Of course not.

this is the kind of response i get? your exactly the type of person im talking about. missed the entire point of what i was saying and jumped in to defend your god awful beliefs with all the luster of a true zealot, but think about it what is the role of the zealot? the church is nothing more than a business, a tax free way for people to pay their bills. the point i was making is that they are vultures preying on simple minded people who are afraid to step back and look at whats going on (such as yourself. sir)
You are the kind of person you are talking about. You say you are looking at the big picture, you say that christianity is false and illogical. I was an atheist once, my paretns are not christian, But I chose to go to be a christian. I made a decision. I am not just following in footsteps.  PS: You are wrong about churches, you just assume they are all corrupt. Like I said about 80% of our church's income goes to missions.

You sound like every other closed minded hypocritical "non-conformist" - pissed off at the world because it doesn't dance to your little tune.  And the only way that you can feel good about yourself is if you listen to your sad, depressing emo music while telling your friends that everyone else is just a bunch of sheep while being totally oblivious to the fact that you are in fact a sheep of the so-called "non-conformists" who feel the need to rebel against the imaginary injustices committed against them.

im not closed minded or a hypocritical "non-conformist" hell you did everything short of call me a hippie but i do give you a big bravo for reading that much into me saying sheep. i dont give 2 shits if you listen to what i have to say or go along with your life believing something that could in fact even been written as a joke 2 THOUSAND years ago.  try something, open your freakin eyes and look around. it is a fraud "DOOM" and the worst kind of fraud the one that preys on the beliefs of elderly people making them believe they have to pay for they wont get into the divine "heaven" what kind of belief has to threaten to get you to listen? what kind of a "god" that you would want to worship puts conditions on his people like "do these 10 things or ill set your dumbass on fire"  that the kind of god you want to believe in?
there you go calling my religion a joke again. I think it is time you shut the hell up because that is extremely insulting. Your beliefe that my religion is false is not something you are zealous about. I might even call that a religion. How can you say it is a fraud. Prove it. Put your money where your mouth is? You are just not willing to accept the fact that there is no 'logical scientific explantion' for  why we are here and why would events conicide with the bible?
You sir, are what is wrong with the world.  Your hate, intolerance, and arrogance is what is holding us back, not organized religion.

The only hate i have is for stupidty such as this drivel you've posted. do us all a favor and keep this kind of thing to yourself next time, this time however ill answer it (and only this time).

scroll up and look at my posts i havnt said i hate or  have intolerance for anyone. far from it in fact i have said that the only difference between people is the state of mind they have, skin color, origins, favorite color, or sex have nothing to do with it. the only problem we have and i say again is the barriers we put between ourselves such as this entire religion topic and the hate we are passing on to our children for people who arent exactly like them. you could really use some tolerance yourself and understanding then YOU might be openminded enough to look at what ive said and consider it instead of dismissing it out of hand just because it conflicts what what you have been tought by other simple minded people who are too ... well simple to look outside the box back inside and re-evaluate their beliefs. anyone who is truely comfortable with their beliefs could look at what ive said, evaluate it, and make up their own mind. although i dont see you doing that, more like posting another message trying to argue about what i said
I made a descision between not being religious and being religious. I saw what it has done in my brothers life, I looked at the bible, I chose christianity. Was I not open minded?
WAR EAGLE!

quasi-modo

Quote from: Adron on December 18, 2004, 12:40 AM
Quote from: quasi-modo on December 17, 2004, 10:50 PM

I haven't seen those records, and I'm doubtful of how detailed / accurate they are, but either way, if I was writing a fictional story today, I might include any number of current events just to flower it out. Much like if you watch a TV show, say Seinfeld, and you could verify that there was a red light at that crossing at that time, that there was a newspaper named bla, that ....
There are tons of records. Plenty of documents all over the place about many different events in the bible. You may or may not believe Jesus died and rose, but weather you like it or not, a man named Jesus lived, knew the scripture, pissed of the pharasees because they did not want to loose their following, was tortured, was crucified, and his remains were not found in the cave they were left in, however the 'towel' as it was called was found neatly folded.
WAR EAGLE!

DOOM

Quote from: Rebby on December 18, 2004, 02:21 AM
this is the kind of response i get? your exactly the type of person im talking about. missed the entire point of what i was saying and jumped in to defend your god awful beliefs with all the luster of a true zealot, but think about it what is the role of the zealot? the church is nothing more than a business, a tax free way for people to pay their bills. the point i was making is that they are vultures preying on simple minded people who are afraid to step back and look at whats going on (such as yourself. sir)

If you want to have any sort of logical debate with me, I have a suggestion: start using a spell checker.

Please explain to me how not wanting to be insulted makes one a zealot?  You better take a look at the dictionary again because your lack of understanding of simple words and concepts is amazing.

So the church is a vulture that preys on simple minded people like me eh?  You sir are a fool.  I don't pay any money to any church, but I am open minded enough to respect the people that do.

im not closed minded or a hypocritical "non-conformist"

Yes you are.

hell you did everything short of call me a hippie but i do give you a big bravo for reading that much into me saying sheep.

I'm glad I was able to impress a small minded individual such as yourself.

i dont give 2 shits if you listen to what i have to say or go along with your life believing something that could in fact even been written as a joke 2 THOUSAND years ago.  try something, open your freakin eyes and look around. 

What religion is right or wrong isn't even the issue here, but you are too blind to see it.  If you don't agree with organized religion, that's fine.  That's your choice.  But it takes a very small minded, insecure little man to write off someone else's beliefs as a joke.

it is a fraud "DOOM" and the worst kind of fraud the one that preys on the beliefs of elderly people making them believe they have to pay for they wont get into the divine "heaven" what kind of belief has to threaten to get you to listen? what kind of a "god" that you would want to worship puts conditions on his people like "do these 10 things or ill set your dumbass on fire"  that the kind of god you want to believe in?

You know, my grandfather just died a couple of months ago.  And the church didn't show up to steal his money.  There were two pastors (the current pastor and a former pastor that came back to my state to help officiate the funeral) that did his funeral.  They went above and beyond to be helpful to my family.  They went above and beyond what was required of them to help make things as easy as possible on my family.  No church has showed up to rob my grandmother either.  No church has threatened anyone in my family.  No church has ever told me or anyone I know that you have to give them money to go to heaven.  God hasn't threatened to light anyone on fire either.

So I really don't know what warped "branch of Christianity" you were dealing with, but anyone who threatens the elderly is not Christian.  It in fact goes against every principle that Christianity stands for.  And to judge all of Christianity based on your limited experience shows just how closed minded you are.  You expect everyone to "open their eyes" to your hateful point of view, while at the same time being closed to theirs.  What sort of reception do you really expect?  No one wants to listen to your stupidity.

The only hate i have is for stupidty such as this drivel you've posted. do us all a favor and keep this kind of thing to yourself next time, this time however ill answer it (and only this time).

Did you look up "drivel" all by yourself or did your mommy help?

scroll up and look at my posts i havnt said i hate or  have intolerance for anyone. far from it in fact i have said that the only difference between people is the state of mind they have, skin color, origins, favorite color, or sex have nothing to do with it. the only problem we have and i say again is the barriers we put between ourselves such as this entire religion topic and the hate we are passing on to our children for people who arent exactly like them.

Calling everyone who disagrees with you "morons" and "sheep" IS being intolerant.  Better go get your dictionary again, buddy.

you could really use some tolerance yourself and understanding then YOU might be openminded enough to look at what ive said and consider it instead of dismissing it out of hand just because it conflicts what what you have been tought by other simple minded people who are too ... well simple to look outside the box back inside and re-evaluate their beliefs. anyone who is truely comfortable with their beliefs could look at what ive said, evaluate it, and make up their own mind. although i dont see you doing that, more like posting another message trying to argue about what i said

You expect other people to greet your intolerance with tolerance and understanding?  If you want to argue against organized religion, fine.  But grow a pair and do it like an adult.  You can argue against something without calling all people that disagree with you "morons" and "sheep."  If you want to talk about who is uncomfortable in their beliefs, I would have to say that it is obviously the one who has to attack all those who disagree by calling them morons and sheep.

And you really haven't "said" anything.  All you've said is that we can't know for sure what happened over 2,000 years ago.  Well I can't really know for sure what happened 150 years ago either.  Maybe the Civil War never happened.  Because since I wasn't there myself obviously negates all possibility for something having happened, right?  But either way, this is about respect.  And you obviously were never taught about how to respect others.  I'm not going around calling Muslims a bunch of terrorist morons.  I may disagree with a lot of their beliefs, but I'm not an intolerant asshole that feels the need to act all high and mighty and superior to them.  You've got a lot to learn about dealing with people, buddy.

quasi-modo

Quote from: DOOM on December 18, 2004, 02:19 PM
You expect other people to greet your intolerance with tolerance and understanding?  If you want to argue against organized religion, fine.  But grow a pair and do it like an adult.  You can argue against something without calling all people that disagree with you "morons" and "sheep."  If you want to talk about who is uncomfortable in their beliefs, I would have to say that it is obviously the one who has to attack all those who disagree by calling them morons and sheep.

And you really haven't "said" anything.  All you've said is that we can't know for sure what happened over 2,000 years ago.  Well I can't really know for sure what happened 150 years ago either.  Maybe the Civil War never happened.  Because since I wasn't there myself obviously negates all possibility for something having happened, right?  But either way, this is about respect.  And you obviously were never taught about how to respect others.  I'm not going around calling Muslims a bunch of terrorist morons.  I may disagree with a lot of their beliefs, but I'm not an intolerant asshole that feels the need to act all high and mighty and superior to them.  You've got a lot to learn about dealing with people, buddy.
aye!
WAR EAGLE!

Arta

|