• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Bush '04

Started by jigsaw, October 15, 2004, 08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

hismajesty

Quote from: jigsaw on October 30, 2004, 11:31 AM
Quote from: Hazard on October 27, 2004, 08:49 PM
Vote for Kerry and he'll give you handouts. Vote for Bush and you can actually work for your money.

THANK YOU! Finally some one opens their eyes and understands! Democrats for the most part (not by any means all) are uninformed and lack the ability to see the big picture.... If you are an intelligent democrat, why are you shooting yourself in the foot? Start taking what you deserve by working hard, don't give it away. Someday certain people think a welfare check is, free money.... And most of them are not white.. which leads to other issues. None the less, This is America, you get what you earn, nothing more, nothing less.

I totally agree. Minorities, especially, fail to see that all welfare and the liberals do is hold them back. If they're on welfare they're not going to become anything - that's why alot of hispanics (depending on where they come from) and I think Asians too are Republican, because they support working and trying to make it in a land where they can come here with nothing and become something.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Zakath on October 30, 2004, 09:29 PM
Afghanistan I didn't mind so much. The reasons for going in there made sense to me, even if I might not have come to the same decision myself. Iraq, though, has been an unmitigated disaster. Badly planned, badly executed, and it's turned into a money-sucking cesspool.

I'm not talking about war funding specifically, though. I refer more to things like the Star Wars missile defense system that Bush was trying to resurrect a while back. Not sure if he's still pushing it (I hope he's given up on the idea), but it's a huge waste of money even researching it imo.
Badly planned? We took the country easily as I recall. Do not give me a plan for the peace answer bcause you cant exactly plan for peace when you hold 50% of the cards and the insurgents the other 50%. Iraq will soon be standing on its own feet. PS: You act like the money spent in Iraq is gone forever, most of it is coming back to the states and going right back into our economy. Deficit spending is a pretty thing when the economy is down.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

dxoigmn

Quote from: quasi-modo on October 30, 2004, 07:37 PM
You mind using your money for the defense of our nation?

No I don't, defense is fine.  But defending is not the same thing as attacking.  Unless we're attacked, we shouldn't be attacking.

dxoigmn

Quote from: Kp on October 30, 2004, 07:00 PM
That's fine, but why should I give my money to people who allegedly need help based on your say-so?  If they need help, let them get it from people like you who want to give up your money.  I have no problem with the idea of charity, but I have a big problem with people who think they have an obligation to confiscate funds to pay for it.

Then move to another country.

quasi-modo

Quote from: dxoigmn on October 31, 2004, 12:19 AM
Quote from: quasi-modo on October 30, 2004, 07:37 PM
You mind using your money for the defense of our nation?

No I don't, defense is fine.  But defending is not the same thing as attacking.  Unless we're attacked, we shouldn't be attacking.
We were attacked. That is what started the war on terror.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Arta

This may be an unpopular statement, but I'm making it anyway: The belief that Welfare is merely an indulgence for the lazy is simply a product of ignorance, and there's no two ways about it. Some people are in need, and those people need help, and that's really all there is to it.

Don't even bother responding to this if you've never lived on welfare. You aren't qualified. I don't care what your book-smarts tell you.

Kp

Quote from: dxoigmn on October 31, 2004, 12:21 AM
Quote from: Kp on October 30, 2004, 07:00 PMThat's fine, but why should I give my money to people who allegedly need help based on your say-so?  If they need help, let them get it from people like you who want to give up your money.  I have no problem with the idea of charity, but I have a big problem with people who think they have an obligation to confiscate funds to pay for it.
Then move to another country.

That's hardly an answer, as I could've thrown the same thing at you when you whined about spending on foreign affairs.  Instead, I responded to your opinion with an explanation of why I disagree and where I stand.  Perhaps you'd like to offer a real solution, rather than just telling me to get out if I don't like the direction the country has been dragged?
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Newby

Quote from: Hazard on October 27, 2004, 08:49 PM
Vote for Kerry and he'll give you handouts. Vote for Bush and you can actually work for your money.
That's the first time I've seen somebody say something so true. If we had karma, I'd give you like +100.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Arta[vL] on October 31, 2004, 08:37 AM
This may be an unpopular statement, but I'm making it anyway: The belief that Welfare is merely an indulgence for the lazy is simply a product of ignorance, and there's no two ways about it. Some people are in need, and those people need help, and that's really all there is to it.

Don't even bother responding to this if you've never lived on welfare. You aren't qualified. I don't care what your book-smarts tell you.
Arta, welfare is made to be temporary, not long term. I don't live on welfare but I still have every right to comment about it.

I do not agree with the Kerry will give you handouts statement. He promises to give you handouts, but I doubt he will be able to deliver them.
WAR EAGLE!

Zakath

Nobody said you can't comment, but don't try to justify eliminating a system by only considering the cases where the system doesn't work. There are many people who rely on that system to survive. Are you willing to kill them just to make a point? Or are you offering to find jobs somewhere for every single person currently collecting a welfare check?
Quote from: iago on February 02, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can't have everybody...contributing to the main source repository.  That would be stupid and create chaos.

Opensource projects...would be dumb.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Zakath on October 31, 2004, 04:56 PM
Nobody said you can't comment, but don't try to justify eliminating a system by only considering the cases where the system doesn't work. There are many people who rely on that system to survive. Are you willing to kill them just to make a point? Or are you offering to find jobs somewhere for every single person currently collecting a welfare check?
I never said to eliminate it. I believe in this thread I said we need a mjoar reform and that the bush tax cuts are not to be a form of welfare, but rather a real tax cut based on what was payed in. After all, that is what a cut in taxes is. I personally believe that welfare should be for one year only, if someone is on welfare for longer he should be subject to an evaluation or something like that to see if he is actively looking for a job or what is going as to why he can't get on his feet. It could be something like an audit. Make sure his money isn't going towars fancy rims on a bmw that he financed.
WAR EAGLE!

Zakath

That's how the system is supposed to work now; I agree it needs reform. I thought you were trying to argue that it should be eliminated entirely.
Quote from: iago on February 02, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can't have everybody...contributing to the main source repository.  That would be stupid and create chaos.

Opensource projects...would be dumb.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Zakath on October 31, 2004, 05:09 PM
That's how the system is supposed to work now; I agree it needs reform. I thought you were trying to argue that it should be eliminated entirely.
No, but I am in favor of reform of many systems. Such as social security. No politician will go near that though... its suicide.
WAR EAGLE!

dxoigmn

Quote from: quasi-modo on October 31, 2004, 04:59 PM
I personally believe that welfare should be for one year only, if someone is on welfare for longer he should be subject to an evaluation or something like that to see if he is actively looking for a job or what is going as to why he can't get on his feet. It could be something like an audit. Make sure his money isn't going towars fancy rims on a bmw that he financed.

TANF, as it is called now and run by the states, does have these limits.

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/opa/fact_sheets/tanf_factsheet.html

quasi-modo

Welfare should be setup the same way then.
WAR EAGLE!

|