Quit crying about the "stolen" public code

Started by Deception, September 23, 2004, 12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Adron

Quote from: $t0rm on September 25, 2004, 04:04 PM
Link me to the law.

Need to know what law you want... See for example this

Hmm, could also see this example of something similar to what has been done here - someone accessing information he's not supposed to access by logging on as an administrator, then copying some data.

CrAz3D

Quote from: $t0rm on September 25, 2004, 12:01 PM
Sending malicious data to somebody's computer is no different than sending a malicious object at somebody's house.

Why, it's quite different. I'm not physically doing anything to anyone. I'm sending a series of bytes to an upstream router. There's no law anywhere that describes "malicious data".
You PHYSICALLY used your hands to type didn't you?!...oh burn you got schooled.  People have intellectual property that is protected by copyright laws, you need to look @ school books again dood.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: CrAz3D on September 25, 2004, 05:31 PM
Quote from: $t0rm on September 25, 2004, 12:01 PM
Sending malicious data to somebody's computer is no different than sending a malicious object at somebody's house.

Why, it's quite different. I'm not physically doing anything to anyone. I'm sending a series of bytes to an upstream router. There's no law anywhere that describes "malicious data".
You PHYSICALLY used your hands to type didn't you?!...oh burn you got schooled.  People have intellectual property that is protected by copyright laws, you need to look @ school books again dood.

Yeah, you schooled me well.

CrAz3D

Of course I did, I went to public school & they learned me well.
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

MyndFyre

Quote from: Skywing on September 25, 2004, 12:57 PM
Quote from: $t0rm on September 25, 2004, 10:17 AM
Shooting out someone's window is a crime. Sending data to someone's server is not.
Adron has quoted federal law several times in this thread now that says it is in fact a crime in certain circumstances, such as, say, this one.  What more do you need?

I don't know how applicable federal law would be with this group.  Yoni lives in Israel; iago, in Canada; Adron, Sweden.  I don't know who all lives where, but there's a lot of "it depends" going on.

However, generally, most intellectual property laws apply internationally.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Adron is right, iago is still wrong, and Craz3d is a n00b :-P

CrAz3D

There ARE international laws about intellectual property, I made my last few posts with a lighter heart than the rest of you have been.
(ré-bun-dance)

iago

Quote from: MyndFyre on September 26, 2004, 08:41 AM
Shooting out someone's window is a crime. Sending data to someone's server is not.
Adron has quoted federal law several times in this thread now that says it is in fact a crime in certain circumstances, such as, say, this one.  What more do you need?

I don't know how applicable federal law would be with this group.  Yoni lives in Israel; iago, in Canada; Adron, Sweden.  I don't know who all lives where, but there's a lot of "it depends" going on.

We talked about that, actually.  If some guy in Russia is pissed off at me, and pays a guy in Canada to break into my house and vandalize my stuff, can the guy in Russia be held accountable?  That's really the problem that the Internet faces right now, a lack of international laws for a service that exists internationally.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

vuther.de

Quote from: iago on September 23, 2004, 03:30 PM
Here's something funny.

Some BNLS rip-off (I forget what it's called, but it's made by a guy named Binary, iirc) is using the stolen Warcraft 3 code.  

So here's what you'd be doing to use it: sending your warcraft 3 account and cdkey to somebody who clearly has no qualms with using stolen sourcecode.  Does anybody find that funny? I do :)

You are very wrong. For one, Binary had the war3 functions before it was released. :)
And to sadly add on, Binary has quit bnet. He has sent me the source, and now i load it. BNRHS has NOTHING to do with BNLS.
Also, it does not log passwords, or CDKeys. But it logs the usernames that log onto the server.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Kp

Quote from: inner. on September 26, 2004, 11:37 AMAlso, it does not log passwords, or CDKeys. But it logs the usernames that log onto the server.

So we're just supposed to believe you that it doesn't log passwords or CDkeys, after you admit to supporting logging usernames? ;)

With regard to laws & "malicious code" and such: another problem that just muddies things further is the lawmakers tend to be rather clueless in how they word the laws.  Consider the following contrived example:

Somebody posts a link here to a "cool page", which I then visit.  Unbeknownst to me, that page is served by a really crappily written server that saves the client's User-Agent to a static 32 byte buffer.  Not knowing this, I allow my browser to send its full user-agent of "Mozilla/5.00 (OS; NS version <blah blah>)", which massively overflows the server's static buffer, causing it to crash and possibly execute my User-Agent string as code.  Am I then responsible for a Denial-of-Service attack, even though I didn't know in advance that just sending my user-agent was going to crash the server?  Does the situation change if somebody posts a warning here not to send long user-agents, I see it, and then click the link anyway?  I think we'd all agree on whether I was at fault/liable in each case, but does the law agree with the logical conclusions that we reach?

Also, touching on the point about international laws and such: what if the badly written server is in another country, and neither I nor its operators have ever even spoken, much less reached an agreement over whose laws apply.  Do we then read their nation's lawbooks or mine to find out if I did something wrong by accidentally crashing their server?
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

CrAz3D

There are international laws though...international laws would apply to whomever agreed to them, however that may not be all countries.  Most larger countries do though.  GoSu****** obviously ATTEMPTED to 'break in' & steal the code, the server HAD a password, from what I've gathered.
(ré-bun-dance)

Skywing

Quote from: iago on September 26, 2004, 10:58 AM
Quote from: MyndFyre on September 26, 2004, 08:41 AM

We talked about that, actually.  If some guy in Russia is pissed off at me, and pays a guy in Canada to break into my house and vandalize my stuff, can the guy in Russia be held accountable?  That's really the problem that the Internet faces right now, a lack of international laws for a service that exists internationally.
I think the laws exist; the problem is in prosecuting those who break them.

iago

Quote from: inner. on September 26, 2004, 11:37 AM
Quote from: iago on September 23, 2004, 03:30 PM
Here's something funny.

Some BNLS rip-off (I forget what it's called, but it's made by a guy named Binary, iirc) is using the stolen Warcraft 3 code. 

So here's what you'd be doing to use it: sending your warcraft 3 account and cdkey to somebody who clearly has no qualms with using stolen sourcecode.  Does anybody find that funny? I do :)

You are very wrong. For one, Binary had the war3 functions before it was released. :)
And to sadly add on, Binary has quit bnet. He has sent me the source, and now i load it. BNRHS has NOTHING to do with BNLS.
Also, it does not log passwords, or CDKeys. But it logs the usernames that log onto the server.

I talked to the main authors of the code (Maddox, TheMinistered, and myself; I do talk to myself sometimes when I'm lonely) and none of them authorized him to have the code.  Whether it was leaked or stolen or whatever, he wasn't supposed to have it.  So I'm not going to take the word of anybody who administers that forum.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

|