• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Quit crying about the "stolen" public code

Started by Deception, September 23, 2004, 12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Lenny

To be honest, I haven't read every single post in this thread, but I believe I have the jist of it....

No matter, I found an interesting chat log that might fit here:

[23:56:03] <HoIN]ZeR0[> heh
[23:56:08] <HoIN]ZeR0[> its Deception!
[23:56:12] <*Deception@Lordaeron> Oh, ok C0nFu53d]ZeR0[@USWest.
[23:56:21] <*Deception@Lordaeron> Hello HoIN]ZeR0[@USWest.
[23:56:41] <HoIN]ZeR0[> I thought you and madd0x were good friends ;P
[23:56:47] <*Deception@Lordaeron> HoIN]ZeR0[@USWest: Before we begin, may I have your email address for tracking purposes?
[23:57:02] <HoIN]ZeR0[> [email protected]
[23:57:04] <*Deception@Lordaeron> HoIN]ZeR0[@USWest: We are.
[23:57:05] <HoIN]ZeR0[> ask for Pete
[23:57:13] <*Deception@Lordaeron> HoIN]ZeR0[@USWest: Thank you.
[23:57:21] <*Deception@Lordaeron> HoIN]ZeR0[@USWest: How can I be of service?
[23:57:27] <HoIN]ZeR0[> Eh, and yet he refuses to help you with your password changeing problems
[23:57:46] <*Deception@Lordaeron> HoIN]ZeR0[@USWest: No, he is too busy to help me.
[23:57:56] <*Deception@Lordaeron> HoIN]ZeR0[@USWest: If you do not need any more help, I am going to have to move on.
[23:58:07] <HoIN]ZeR0[> its ironic that he posted the log
[23:58:12] <HoIN]ZeR0[> on the vL forums
[23:58:14] <*Deception@Lordaeron> HoIN]ZeR0[@USWest: What log?
[23:58:40] <HoIN]ZeR0[> (22:20:44) Decep7ion: Madd0x please help me with 0x56
[23:58:46] <HoIN]ZeR0[> (22:20:50) Decep7ion: I'll do ANYTHING
[23:58:51] <*toLL> lol
[23:59:26] <*Deception@Lordaeron>  ?
[23:59:30] <*Deception@Lordaeron>  I didn't say that..
[23:59:41] *Pr0pHeT]ZeR0[ has joined [31 ms using STAR -  (15 wins) ]
[23:59:43] *toLL has left the channel.
[23:59:49] <HoIN]ZeR0[> then why would a "good friend" lie about that
[00:00:07] *Deception@Lordaeron has left the channel.
[00:00:11] <HoIN]ZeR0[> gg
[00:01:06] *toLL has joined [94 ms using SEXP -  (16 wins) ]
[00:05:47] *Deception@Lordaeron has joined [0 ms using W3XP - (Orc Peon icon, with 0 Random wins in Clan Clan) ]
[00:05:50] <*Deception@Lordaeron>  HoIN
[00:06:01] <*Deception@Lordaeron>  That was a joke by Madd0x.. just so you know.
[00:06:20] *toLL has left the channel.
[00:07:25] *Deception@Lordaeron has left the channel.

Maybe Maddox can clear this up :)
(22:20:44) Decep7ion: Madd0x please help me with 0x56
(22:20:50) Decep7ion: I'll do ANYTHING
Why are you asking help from an author of the NLS.dll if you believe the only right they have to their code is to refuse support for it?
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

WARNING: The preceding message may have contained content unsuitable for young children.

iago

Quote from: Stealth on September 23, 2004, 06:55 PM
Give me back my car.

lmao!!

But seriously, to everybody who posted responses on the side of Justice (anti-deception), they were very well written.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Newby

Ah, so my dad owns the only BMW 540i in the world? Fuck, he's special.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Zakath

Quote from: BaDDBLooD on September 23, 2004, 06:40 PM
It says, that you cannot dissasemble warcraft III and all that other warcraft IIi reversing stuff!

And? Your point is...what?

How about this: I say that you are violating my brand spanking new EULA for post responses if you reply to this topic. Any rebuttals, questions, regurgitations, etc. are all copyrighted by me.

Does my EULA make you afraid to reply to me now? I thought not.
Quote from: iago on February 02, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can't have everybody...contributing to the main source repository.  That would be stupid and create chaos.

Opensource projects...would be dumb.

Stealth

Quote from: Deception on September 23, 2004, 07:49 PM
That's a terrible analogy. A car can only exist in one place, where as a computer file and be duplicated.

So I built 500 cars, at immense cost to me in time and resources. They're all in a big garage. They're still my cars and I still get to decide who borrows them, who rides in them and even who gets near them. What happened was, effectively, someone broke into my garage [sneakcharm's computer] through an open window [RealVNC] and helped themselves to a whole bunch of my cars [NLS.DLL]. The cars that were taken were still stolen from my garage.
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

Banana fanna fo fanna

No. By virtue of opening a listening TCP port, you're effectively inviting anyone to access your computer as a public service, and send any arbitrary data to it. I don't see anywhere a terms of use for your machine.

Newby

Even if the window is open (TCP port is listening), you should ask before you invite yourself in (ask the person if you can connect) :P
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

Banana fanna fo fanna

The entire point of a *server* is for *public access*. If you didn't want me entering, you should have configured your firewall rules not to let me in.

Newby

That's why he had a password. Though not a good one, it was still there.
- Newby

Banana fanna fo fanna

I didn't see a TOS that says I can't send a bunch of random bytes and happen to do something.

Maddox

Go ahead and use the code, I really don't care. I had always planned to release it, but got lazy. I'm kind of mad the half-ass class I created was released though; I had only meant that as a demonstration. I didn't care so much that the code was leaked, but that the version/quality of it wasn't great.

NLS.dll is UserLoser's creation based on my class, I don't care if anyone uses it as long as he doesn't care.
asdf.

Newby

Quote from: Maddox on September 23, 2004, 09:08 PM
NLS.dll is UserLoser's creation based on my class, I don't care if anyone uses it as long as he doesn't care.
From what I see, he does care. Just not to an extent to tell people to stop using it.
- Newby

Forged

Quote from: $t0rm on September 23, 2004, 07:59 PM
No. By virtue of opening a listening TCP port, you're effectively inviting anyone to access your computer as a public service, and send any arbitrary data to it. I don't see anywhere a terms of use for your machine.

So if I accidentlly left my door unlocked the person who comes in and steals stuff is not really robbing me because I shouldn't have left my door unlocked?
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

KrisL

Quote from: Deception on September 23, 2004, 12:29 AM
However, the author(s) can't complain about it being public and they can't tell people not to use it when they were stupid enough to let someone "steal" it in the first place.

So if I leave my front door unlocked and someone comes into my house and steals my TV, its ok that they stole it and are using it to watch football, because im the one that left my door unlocked?  I'd be upset my TV was stolen and upset that someone who stole my TV is using it without my permission, but I guess thats just plain silly.....

Eric

Even though I'm completely against the use of stolen material, I do have this to say.

Things have been stolen since the dawn of time, bitching about it isn't going to unsteal them or change anything at all for that matter.  

It's not as if the code wasn't planned on being open source from the begining.  madd0x himself had told me that he had released bits and pieces of the code all over the internet in various forums as well as TheMinistered who was randomly handing out the code to those who he felt worthy and UserLoser who was publically posting War3 packet information on his BnetDocs knockoff and all of which was long before the idiot that shall remain nameless leaked the stolen code onto this forum.  The reason I italicized stolen is because I've talked to the person in question and I doubt someone with his intelligence could brute even a 1 character password, but since this thread isn't about that I'll leave it at that.  The originally planned-to-be open source code was just sitting there waiting to be released and all it needed was someone to come along and release it in some form or another.  Who cares who/how/when/where/why it happened?  Fact is it was going to happen sooner or later.

The only problem I have with the leaking of the code is something that iago mentioned somewhere on the first page about asking for support.  Personally I find this as stupid as stealing a car and coming back the next day asking how to set the clock.  I think all threads asking for support of such code should be trashed on sight instead of turning into a 5 page argument on coding ethics every time.

|