• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Processor architecture (why is this in this forum? who knows, who cares)

Started by quasi-modo, July 06, 2004, 04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quasi-modo

Quote from: Thing on July 05, 2004, 04:00 PM
QuoteShould have mentioned I am running Windows XP for the next 2 weeks.

Oh and in reply to your next post, "You're Welcome".
he's Nick Burns, Your Companys's Computer Guy.

ps: why on earth would anyone want to run sun solaris?

I myself, if I have to go with any linux distro, am a SuSE man.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Banana fanna fo fanna

...because solaris is rock solid and kicks the crap out of any linux distro?

quasi-modo

Quote from: $t0rm on July 06, 2004, 08:48 PM
...because solaris is rock solid and kicks the crap out of any linux distro?
In what ways? (I am not trying to argue, I just want to know)

I would say definatly for SPARC... Linux is not as developed for that I guess, but not too many people are using sparc, these days its x86 or those ibm power chips (and x86 is taking over the world).
Running solaris on x86 is painful from what I have heard and read; I have heard that x86 solaris has poor hardware support and linux outperforms it.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Banana fanna fo fanna

Well, if you're going to do web hosting Linux is fine for it. But if you're going to run telecommunications or a nuclear power plant or something, you need a tried-and-tested OS, PLUS a company that will support it and say that it won't fail.

Try running Linux on one of these babies:
http://www.sun.com/servers/highend/sunfire_e25k/index.xml

quasi-modo

oh running a nuclear power plant, never had to do that so I wouldnt know  ;)
http://www.sun.com/servers/highend/sunfire_e25k/index.xml yah those a SPARC systems, they are basically designed to run solaris. Just like those IBM servers are geared to run AIX (though linux can go there too).
WAR EAGLE!

Thing

Last week I could not speel Solaris.  Now I is one.
This morning I agreed to admin a couple of Sparc boxes.  Good thing the
owner thinks I know what I'm doing. :P

Yes Arta, those two.  I'm still waiting for root on the dev machine so
I can test compile PHP and Apache before I fuck fix up the production
box.  The previous admin compiled Apache without DSO support.  Weirdo.
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

quasi-modo

Sun is in some real trouble though getting behind SPARC... not to many people are using it. Like I said x86 is taking over the world. If 64bit really cathes on the ibm power chips might meet their demise too.
WAR EAGLE!

Banana fanna fo fanna

Sun and IBM servers are used for airplanes and stuff...I don't think x86 will be running those any time soon.

Thing

QuoteSPARC... not to many people are using it.
If you've ever used a cell phone, you've used it and no, it isn't the phone.

./edit http://www.theregister.com/2004/07/07/sun_q4_up/

quasi-modo

Quote from: Thing on July 07, 2004, 11:13 PM
QuoteSPARC... not to many people are using it.

Telecomunications, power, stuff like that are the few areas where you will see sparc, but look just about everywhere, most of the stuff is on x86 and it is becomeing standard. IBM power chips are still arround, but like I said if 64bit catches on, they could meat their match. At the end of the day x86 out performs sparc because the x86 architecture has many cisc features to it, it acts more like cisc, though it is infact still risc. The reason why you see telecomunications places and air ports using sparc is because solaris is very good for for that because of whatchamacallit... can't remember the term, brain fart... I was talking to a guy who works at altel here in town and plays with sparc boxes sometimes and I forgot the term he used, but he basically said that solaris is the most suited os for telecom. But when I originally asked why would anyone use solaris I meant why would anyone run solaris on an x86 system. You do not see the air ports and telecom places running it on x86 (atleast I have never seen that, if they are going to run solaris they are going to run it with hardware that it with the proper hardware that it will get along with, and solaris sort of has that reputation for not likeing a lot of hardware and running slower because of it when it is not aggreeing with the hardware, or so I have heard).

Ps: i would expect motorola to use powerpc because didn't they help ibm make that?

But back to the original question, meh why do you want to run solaris? You are on x86 correct? Why run a web server from solaris? I can see windows, linux, bsd, aix, even a mac... to a much lesser extent, but why solaris?
WAR EAGLE!

Adron

Quote from: Thing on July 07, 2004, 11:13 PM

Hmm, don't see connection between that and cell phone?

Thing

It's a secret connection, Adron.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Thing on July 08, 2004, 04:03 PM
well a lot of telecomunications companies do use sparc, except motoroloa which uses powerpc I believe because they codeveloped it with ibm. Its for their boxes back at the mothership or where ever they keep the servers....
WAR EAGLE!

Adron

Quote from: peofeoknight on July 08, 2004, 08:58 PM
Quote from: Thing on July 08, 2004, 04:03 PM
well a lot of telecomunications companies do use sparc, except motoroloa which uses powerpc I believe because they codeveloped it with ibm.

Hmm, I thought Ericsson used their own hardware platform and their own language..

Thing

I can only comment on the networks that I've been told about from a Nortell employee.  Nortell supplies hardware/software for cell sites that is proprietary.  All of the configuration and monitoring is done with SPARC stations.