• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Processor architecture (why is this in this forum? who knows, who cares)

Started by quasi-modo, July 06, 2004, 04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quasi-modo

Why not? I mean I know that AMD and INTEL spend insane amounts of cash on R&D, and are big companies and can do that, but some little new company would not be able to. But from the specs on these mips procs, compared to an intel xeon or itanium, it is clear which is superior.

Which is better, an intel chipset or a SiS chipset? Intel obviously because they are spending more cash on R&D and have a more refined product, though it is generally more expensive.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

muert0

The workstation they have can have up to four processors. And 512MB-16GB synchronous Double-Data rate ram (DDR). I don't konw it doesn't look like a bad little company to me.
To lazy for slackware.

Grok

Quote from: peofeoknight on July 13, 2004, 01:54 AMYes but they are using "MIPS" processors.

Horrors, not MIPS processors!

Banana fanna fo fanna

Think of how fast our OS's could be if we wrote them with SILICON.

quasi-modo

Quote from: muert0 on July 13, 2004, 02:24 PM
The workstation they have can have up to four processors. And 512MB-16GB synchronous Double-Data rate ram (DDR). I don't konw it doesn't look like a bad little company to me.
and you cant do that with intel and amd though? I mean I have seen quad xeon and quad opteron.... everyone knows what ddr is, you don't need to spell out the acronym to us :p
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Adron

Quote from: peofeoknight on July 13, 2004, 01:54 AM
Yes but they are using "MIPS" processors. I am guessing it is x86 and cisc because windows will run on it.

No, MIPS processors can use many more registers than x86. "x86" and "MIPS" are different processor standards. Like alpha, powerpc, 68k or others.

quasi-modo

oh really? I just assumed mips was another x86 architecture, like amd and intel are both very different but still x86. Mips is cisc though, it would have to be.
WAR EAGLE!

quasi-modo

well that cache and clock speed is nothing too outstanding, but what is the bus and bandwidth... I can't really say if its good or not because I know nothing about that architecture.
WAR EAGLE!

Grok

Quote from: peofeoknight on July 15, 2004, 08:58 PM
well that cache and clock speed is nothing too outstanding, but what is the bus and bandwidth... I can't really say if its good or not because I know nothing about that architecture.

Then why are you?  SGI makes the fastest, best-of-breed workstations for engineers requiring the best speed available.  They have done this for 15-20 years, probably almost as long as you've been alive.  You see a number like 800 Mhz CPU, and think eww yuk, slow computer.  In the previous message you said it must be CISC, so I helped show you that it was, indeed, RISC.  OK yes, I am annoyed by you trying to come off as an authority on a lot of things you know very little about.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Grok on July 15, 2004, 09:30 PM
Quote from: peofeoknight on July 15, 2004, 08:58 PM

Then why are you?  SGI makes the fastest, best-of-breed workstations for engineers requiring the best speed available.  They have done this for 15-20 years, probably almost as long as you've been alive.  You see a number like 800 Mhz CPU, and think eww yuk, slow computer.  In the previous message you said it must be CISC, so I helped show you that it was, indeed, RISC.  OK yes, I am annoyed by you trying to come off as an authority on a lot of things you know very little about.
Bah. I was assumeing it was a cisc x86 architecture like amd and intel, thats why. I did not know it was its own architecture, or risc for that matter. The reason I assumed that is I thought I read it could run windows, I have not know windows to run on anything besides x86. Looking back at the original link the work stations come bundled with irix which is unix, I may have been looking at the server page when I got into thinking they could run windows (but I doubt it, but somehow I still got windows into my head), they have mips server with irix and intel itanium2 servers, which itanium2 would be able to run windows or linux.
WAR EAGLE!

Grok

Quote from: peofeoknight on July 15, 2004, 09:36 PM
I have not know windows to run on anything besides x86. Looking back at the original link the work stations come bundled with irix which is unix, I may have been looking at the server page when I got into thinking they could run windows (but I doubt it, but somehow I still got windows into my head), they have mips server with irix and intel itanium2 servers, which itanium2 would be able to run windows or linux.

Windows NT ran on Intel (x86), Motorola (Alpha), and IBM (PowerPC) processors.

P.S.  Please have some of my spare punctuation, as there is enough for sentence.  ( .......... )

quasi-modo

Valhalla Legends Forum
 Programming
 Web Development    <--- spelling and grammar forum?
WAR EAGLE!

Grok

Quote from: peofeoknight on July 16, 2004, 12:24 PM
 Valhalla Legends Forum
 Programming
 Web Development    <--- spelling and grammar forum?

Actually, *forum administrator*, but aside from that, my reply had on-topic information, and a P.S. that was subtle enough to make you want to pay more attention to your writing.  I didn't go off on you, call you illiterate, make corrections for you, flame you, just loaned you some periods.

Returning to topic ... Microsoft made Windows NT for those other platforms, and even had VB working on the Alpha platforms.  I almost bought a Compaq Alpha in 1997 when they were practically giving them away.  Should have, but oh well.  Then when Windows 2000 came out, they dropped support for PowerPC and stayed with just Alpha as an alternative platform.  From reports I heard, the Alpha was a more reliable Windows server than the PC was, for whatever reason.  Maybe because the RISC kernel was easier to write?  Skywing might have some input on that.

quasi-modo

It would be interesting if the power pc support were still there. Hypathetically, if windows xp could run on power pc, would that mean one could put windows xp on a mac since they are on the IBM chips?
WAR EAGLE!

|