• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Processor architecture (why is this in this forum? who knows, who cares)

Started by quasi-modo, July 06, 2004, 04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quasi-modo

Quote from: Adron on July 09, 2004, 03:37 AM
Quote from: peofeoknight on July 08, 2004, 08:58 PM
Quote from: Thing on July 08, 2004, 04:03 PM
It's a secret connection, Adron.
well a lot of telecomunications companies do use sparc, except motoroloa which uses powerpc I believe because they codeveloped it with ibm.

Hmm, I thought Ericsson used their own hardware platform and their own language..
they might, but I know that severel telecom places are on sparc... I know Altel is. I bet Sprint is on 486 or something weak and old like that... thats why I cant get a God damn signal inside of my house, school, or place of work. I can't use my phone practically anywhere because the sprint network sucks so bad, I do not live in the boonies either, I live in jacksonville florida! The super bowl will be here this year for God's sake.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

muert0

Sprint's been having a lot of problems. My mom was programming for them but last year they cut 5000 people.
To lazy for slackware.

Adron

Sprint is american. I've been using Telia, always and exclusively, for my cellphones.

Thing

Sprint PCS sucks cock.  My contract is up in about a week and I'm switching to Verizon.  They have spent a ton of money on their network and my buddy at Nortell tells me that they are installing bleeding edge tech.
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Thing on July 09, 2004, 07:37 PM
Sprint PCS sucks cock.  My contract is up in about a week and I'm switching to Verizon.  They have spent a ton of money on their network and my buddy at Nortell tells me that they are installing bleeding edge tech.
I would like to move to verizon or moterola or something, I am sick and tired of not getting a damned signal in my house! Well I get one, but I will be on the phone and then loose the signal, the strength is never more then 1 bar. Their vision service is good, like how aim is built into the web browser, but then you have to pay for internet and text messageing, so screw them, I do not need aim on my cell.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: Thing on July 09, 2004, 07:37 PM

Ew, bleeding edge.

Thing

Update on the 2 SPARCs:

I've been working on them pretty hard the past couple of days and they are performing quite well in spite of the previous admin.  Compiling large programs is very fast and the webserver handles loads with ease.  After a complaint from the owner about poor performance on the mail server, I investigated and found that a variety of machines in Korea and Russia have been ass-raping it since before the first log rotation.  (A long time).

Important safety tip:
Don't let your box be an open relay!

Linux is the new hotness but Sun still kicks much ass.  I just might have to find a SPARC box for myself.
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

quasi-modo

yes because its not like you can build one yourself  ::). I am still a big proponent of x86....
WAR EAGLE!

Grok

Quote from: Thing on July 11, 2004, 08:45 PM
Update on the 2 SPARCs:

I've been working on them pretty hard the past couple of days and they are performing quite well in spite of the previous admin.  Compiling large programs is very fast and the webserver handles loads with ease.  After a complaint from the owner about poor performance on the mail server, I investigated and found that a variety of machines in Korea and Russia have been ass-raping it since before the first log rotation.  (A long time).

Important safety tip:
Don't let your box be an open relay!

Linux is the new hotness but Sun still kicks much ass.  I just might have to find a SPARC box for myself.

Check out SGI boxes for pure speed.  It is my understanding that for high-speed Linux, nobody beats SGI workstations.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Grok on July 11, 2004, 10:53 PM

Check out SGI boxes for pure speed.  It is my understanding that for high-speed Linux, nobody beats SGI workstations.
Those processors are nothing too insane though. Itanium and xeon are better. Some amd procs and boast similar performance too. I mean you can have a bord with a couple xeons or itanium2 with several meg l2 cache and a higher clock speed....
WAR EAGLE!

Banana fanna fo fanna

I like my Beowulf cluster of XBoxes just fine thank you :)

muert0

To lazy for slackware.

Grok

Quote from: peofeoknight on July 11, 2004, 11:47 PM
Quote from: Grok on July 11, 2004, 10:53 PM

Those processors are nothing too insane though. Itanium and xeon are better. Some amd procs and boast similar performance too. I mean you can have a bord with a couple xeons or itanium2 with several meg l2 cache and a higher clock speed....

SGI boxes are built with the same equipment available to other manufacturers, but engineered for maximum speed on horizontal applications.  I'm not a hardware engineer so cannot tell you the details, but you can read their site for engineering specs.

quasi-modo

Yes but they are using "MIPS" processors. I am guessing it is x86 and cisc because windows will run on it. I am wondering why you would go with a MIPS processor as apposed to an amd or intel, which are better it seems.... I have never heard of mips before, I googled it, but the site for the manufacturer is not getting too specific. Oh now toshiba is getting into the processor game, it seems that AMD and INTEL have a few more challengers that are making 64bit procs, wonder if they will ever be a threat.
WAR EAGLE!

muert0

Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean thast Intel or AMD are obviuosly better.
To lazy for slackware.

|