• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Happy 4th of July

Started by j0k3r, July 04, 2004, 09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0k3r

Or America day, or whatever you like to call it.
- Your friend up north
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

muert0

Heh, the actual name for it is Independence Day. But either way it'll be fun getting drunk tonight.
To lazy for slackware.

Hazard

It's important for every American to understand and appreciate the incredible importance of this crucial day in the history of the entire world. On July 4th, 1776, the world changed forever. It's a day every American should celebrate and enjoy their freedom!

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

muert0

To lazy for slackware.

Hitmen

And remember kids, fireworks = good. Fireworks + beer = bad.

iago

Quote from: Hazard on July 04, 2004, 09:51 AM
It's important for every American to understand and appreciate the incredible importance of this crucial day in the history of the entire world. On July 4th, 1776, the world changed forever. It's a day every American should celebrate and enjoy their freedom!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it represent the time when Americans rose up and attacked their mother country?  Canada remained part of the commenwealth for years after that, and we're still an independant country now.  To us, the Queen is just symbolic.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Meh

Im pretty crap at history, but its when you kicked Britains arse. Am I right?

Raven

Quote from: iago on July 04, 2004, 01:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it represent the time when Americans rose up and attacked their mother country?  Canada remained part of the commenwealth for years after that, and we're still an independant country now.  To us, the Queen is just symbolic.

No, it represents a time when Americans rose up against unfair regulation and practices by the British government in order to gain complete sovereignty and run their country as they felt it should be.

Nowadays, I believe even in the UK, the Royal Family is mostly symbolic as parliament does most of the governing.

Warrior

We did get our asses kicked most of the Revolutionary War. We outsmarted them not beat them with brute force. GO RAMPARTS GO!
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Meh

Grok

I love how history gets distorted over time.  The British could have easily defeated the Colonies and ruled for a hundred more years, but their war with France was more immediate and important, requiring more war resources.  They let up on the Colonies only because we did not really matter that much.

At least, that's what the U.S. Navy taught me in officer training.

Meh

My dad was in the Navy, he only satyed until hew was Cheif PO or something. WEhat rank did you get up to?

Eternal

Quote from: Meh on July 04, 2004, 01:15 PM
Im pretty crap at history, but its when you kicked Britains arse. Am I right?

Grrrr

QuoteNowadays, I believe even in the UK, the Royal Family is mostly symbolic as parliament does most of the governing

That's pretty much true
^-----silly Brit
-----------------------------
www.brimd.com

Eibro

Quote from: Meh on July 04, 2004, 03:56 PM
My dad was in the Navy, he only satyed until hew was Cheif PO or something. WEhat rank did you get up to?
Chief PO is an NCM rank in the Canadian Navy, not sure about American.

Oh, and Canada Day was 3 days ago. It is a much more important day.
Eibro of Yeti Lovers.

iago

Quote from: Raven on July 04, 2004, 02:49 PM
Quote from: iago on July 04, 2004, 01:01 PM

No, it represents a time when Americans rose up against unfair regulation and practices by the British government in order to gain complete sovereignty and run their country as they felt it should be.

Nowadays, I believe even in the UK, the Royal Family is mostly symbolic as parliament does most of the governing.

Typical Americans.  In Canada, we were too polite to do anything, and it worked out better.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*