• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Happy 4th of July

Started by j0k3r, July 04, 2004, 09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maddox

Quote from: Grok on July 04, 2004, 03:49 PM
I love how history gets distorted over time.  The British could have easily defeated the Colonies and ruled for a hundred more years, but their war with France was more immediate and important, requiring more war resources.  They let up on the Colonies only because we did not really matter that much.

At least, that's what the U.S. Navy taught me in officer training.

Are you sure? The french were going through a revolution at the time. I don't think they were fighting the English. They even sent troops to help us out. At any rate, we beat them again in the war of 1812.
asdf.

Tuberload

Quote from: iago on July 06, 2004, 12:19 AM
Sorta reminds me of certain middle-eastern countries?  But it's ok when the Americans do it.

The will amongst the rebels might be the same but I think the situation is completely different.
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

Arta

I think it's pretty much the same from their perspective.

The French were instrumental during the revolutionary war. They helped the colonies all the way along, I believe - not just with men but with money, arms, and so on. I think the idea was to weaken British forces and improved their own chances. So, all you 'Freedom Fries' people can just remember that without the French, you'd still have the queen on your coins :P

FYI: Yes, the queen is symbolic. Parliament is in charge. The queen is the head of state but the Prime Minister has the power.

Hazard

Quote from: iago on July 06, 2004, 12:19 AM
Quote from: Hazard on July 05, 2004, 08:26 PM
The situation was simple, the British could no longer afford to wage war with the Americans. The British soldiers had lost their will to fight as they were fighting for something that they did not understand and had suffered a number of devestating defeats starting at Saratoga and ultimately ending after Yorktown. The Americans were fighting on the own turf, for the own freedom, on their own terms. The Americans had the will, the British did not.

Sorta reminds me of certain middle-eastern countries?  But it's ok when the Americans do it.

How are you looking at it? The US is not oppressing middle eastern countries...

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Tuberload

Quote from: Arta[vL] on July 06, 2004, 03:47 AM
I think it's pretty much the same from their perspective.

The French were instrumental during the revolutionary war. They helped the colonies all the way along, I believe - not just with men but with money, arms, and so on. I think the idea was to weaken British forces and improved their own chances. So, all you 'Freedom Fries' people can just remember that without the French, you'd still have the queen on your coins :P

FYI: Yes, the queen is symbolic. Parliament is in charge. The queen is the head of state but the Prime Minister has the power.

If we are going to compare this war to our revolution I think we are more like the French than anything. We are aiding a country to free themselves from a dictator. My point was that I don't see how iago's comment is valid.

BTW If you want to talk about coins being different let's go back to World War 2. All your coins might be a little different without our help so I think things are pretty even. Everybody has done something extraordinary sometime during human history but we are not living in the past.
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

|