• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Happy 4th of July

Started by j0k3r, July 04, 2004, 09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuberload

Quote from: iago on July 04, 2004, 04:25 PMTypical Americans.  In Canada, we were too polite to do anything, and it worked out better.

So you prefer to watch everyone else die during the creation of history, than to be a part of it?
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

j0k3r

Quote from: Tuberload on July 04, 2004, 04:33 PM
Quote from: iago on July 04, 2004, 04:25 PMTypical Americans.  In Canada, we were too polite to do anything, and it worked out better.

So you prefer to watch everyone else die during the creation of history, than to be a part of it?
Yes, especially when we end up in the same situation anyways.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Tuberload

Quote from: j0k3r on July 04, 2004, 04:44 PMYes, especially when we end up in the same situation anyways.

You never know, what seems like nothing may turn out to be the cause of something tomorrow. Things don't happen right away.
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

j0k3r

It's been a couple hundred years... You would have thought something would have happened by now.

I was thinking about it, the US is probably powerful today because they needed to fend themselves, they couldn't call on britain if they needed help.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Warrior

I am not british. If I remember correctly didnt we use Ramparts to make the british cannon balls waste all thier ammo? ( Ramparts are mounds of dirt with grass on one side )
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Falcon[anti-yL]

Quote from: Grok on July 04, 2004, 03:49 PM
I love how history gets distorted over time.  The British could have easily defeated the Colonies and ruled for a hundred more years, but their war with France was more immediate and important, requiring more war resources.  They let up on the Colonies only because we did not really matter that much.

At least, that's what the U.S. Navy taught me in officer training.
The French played a big role in the last battle where Cornwallis surrendered. If the French navy wasn't there to block Cornwallis from retreating by sea things might have been different.

Tuberload

Quote from: j0k3r on July 04, 2004, 05:21 PM
It's been a couple hundred years... You would have thought something would have happened by now.

Perhaps if more people stood up for what they felt were right things would be different.

Hitmen

Today was a rather eventful day, and I escaped with only minimal injuries!

First, earlier today we were moving the dock out onto the water. In doing this, we had to move it down to the water over some rocks. On the way down, we had set it down to get a better grip, and I being as cool as I am, thought it wasn't as heavy as it was and ended up crushing my right index finger between the dock and some rocks. Only some scrapes and bruises, maybe a little swelling, not too bad.

Later in the night came the fun, we had $250 worth of fireworks. They're illegal here in massachussetts, but new hampshire is only a few hours drive (don't tell the cops that though). First was to roman candle incident. This guy who had lit one, was holding it to shoot it out over the water. After waiting about half a minute for it go off, he said "dud" and whipped it into the lake. Apparently water doesn't matter much to roman candles, since it went off anyway, of course shooting back towards us. No one was hurt, although one girl did get hit. And I only burnt myself a few times, nothing bad.

And finally, I'm not sure where it came from or when I got it, but I noticed I have a gash across the palm of my left hand.

Good times!

Grok

Quote from: Hitmen on July 04, 2004, 11:00 PMThey're illegal here in massachussetts, but new hampshire is only a few hours drive (don't tell the cops that though).

Umm, what do you drive, a little red wagon?  It took me 5 hours to drive from New Hampshire to New Jersey every couple weeks when I lived up there.  Massachussetts is connected to New Hampshire, so how does it take you hours to drive it?

Hitmen

Quote from: Grok on July 04, 2004, 11:04 PM
Quote from: Hitmen on July 04, 2004, 11:00 PMThey're illegal here in massachussetts, but new hampshire is only a few hours drive (don't tell the cops that though).

Umm, what do you drive, a little red wagon?  It took me 5 hours to drive from New Hampshire to New Jersey every couple weeks when I lived up there.  Massachussetts is connected to New Hampshire, so how does it take you hours to drive it?
There and back was a few hours total

Hazard

I drive from my grandmother's house in a suburb south of Boston to New Hampshire in about an hour... it really depends on where you are leaving from.

We had a grand ol' Independence Day out on the beach with no injuries to my family or friends. A boy I would say in the neighborhood of about 11 took a bottle rocket to the face which was launched by a few drunkards, but all in all, with the BBQ and fireworks, it was another wonderful 4th of July.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Hazard

Quote from: Tuberload on July 04, 2004, 04:33 PM

That goes without saying.

Sargera

Independence day is the celebreation of the New World Colonie's Declaration of Independence document.  However, at this time they were still at war with Great Britain.  ^^

It's my understanding Great Britain surrendered the colonies because they suffered a great loss at the battle of Yorktown with Cornwallis.  They didn't want to keep donating resources to fight the war, and didn't think they were all that important.  Much of the reasons the colonies won because Great Britain was largely cocky about the whole situation and thought they could do nothing against their wrath.  Well, we sure proved 'em wrong eh?  ;)  Also, Great Britain and France were at wars for several centuries.  :)

Hazard

The situation was simple, the British could no longer afford to wage war with the Americans. The British soldiers had lost their will to fight as they were fighting for something that they did not understand and had suffered a number of devestating defeats starting at Saratoga and ultimately ending after Yorktown. The Americans were fighting on the own turf, for the own freedom, on their own terms. The Americans had the will, the British did not.

iago

Quote from: Hazard on July 05, 2004, 08:26 PM
The situation was simple, the British could no longer afford to wage war with the Americans. The British soldiers had lost their will to fight as they were fighting for something that they did not understand and had suffered a number of devestating defeats starting at Saratoga and ultimately ending after Yorktown. The Americans were fighting on the own turf, for the own freedom, on their own terms. The Americans had the will, the British did not.

Sorta reminds me of certain middle-eastern countries?  But it's ok when the Americans do it.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

|