• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Alarm clock

Started by Yoni, December 14, 2003, 01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoni

Knowing my own tendency to ignore alarm clocks, I set it last night to 5 different times - 08:45, 08:50, 08:55, 09:00, 09:05.

This morning I woke up naturally at about 08:44:50. ARGH.

Hostile

This happens to me from time to time, some subconsious timer or whatever. If I don't set my alarm I will sleep well through the time I'm supposed to get up. If I do, then I end up waking up near the time the alarm was going to go off anyways.
- Hostile is sexy.

Soul Taker

Most alarm clocks make a very low noise when they are readying the alarm, which wakes people up just prior to the alarm going off a lot.

Adron

Quote from: Yoni on December 14, 2003, 01:05 AM
GRR. I woke up at 8:44:50 AM and the alarm went off at 8:45 AM. This should never happen.

For some strange reason, this often happens to me. At least one third of the mornings, I wake up some seconds before the alarm goes off. Either it emits something before going off, some radiation, noise, whatever, or I just have an internal alarm clock to keep me from having to hear the alarm go off.

iago

Quote from: Soul Taker on December 14, 2003, 01:33 AM
Most alarm clocks make a very low noise when they are readying the alarm, which wakes people up just prior to the alarm going off a lot.

I think you're right.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Grok

Good, I'm not crazy.  I've been doing this for many years.  It's quite annoying.  It gives me the false feeling that I was somehow cheated out of some time.

Maybe some capacitor is triggered to charge up a few seconds before the extra power is needed for the loud sounds?  Whatever it is, many people can detect it.

Adron

You should repost this as a poll - how many people have experienced this?

Some time I'll try setting my alarm when I'm awake and listening carefully to hear exactly what kind of noise it makes before.

Arta

It's not at all unusual. If you get up at the same time every morning, your body clock gets used to it, and wakes you up by itsself. I've often used this in the past when my alarm clock was broken or one was not available. I'd imagine you wake up slightly before your alarm goes of because alarms are obnoxious by their very nature, and the less you have to hear them, the better :)

Grok

Quote from: Arta[vL] on December 14, 2003, 09:49 AM
It's not at all unusual. If you get up at the same time every morning, your body clock gets used to it, and wakes you up by itsself. I've often used this in the past when my alarm clock was broken or one was not available. I'd imagine you wake up slightly before your alarm goes of because alarms are obnoxious by their very nature, and the less you have to hear them, the better :)

Except the alarm goes off at a different time every morning due to the day not being the same length by a few minutes.  Your body is more tuned to the Earth's cycle than a clock cycle, is my guess.

But your theory is a good first one.  I thought about it before when this used to irritate me, so sometimes I'd set my clock to get up a significant time earlier or later (more than 40 minutes).  Yet still, on occasions where I wasn't dead tired, I would still wake up prior to the alarm.  This is the first time I ever spoke of it to anyone because I didn't believe anyone else experienced it.

UserLoser.

Quote from: Yoni on December 14, 2003, 01:07 AM
This morning I woke up naturally at about 08:44:50. ARGH.

*wonders what Yoni would say to me in this situation*, Oh

You'll get over it. :P

Adron

Quote from: Grok on December 14, 2003, 10:06 AM
This is the first time I ever spoke of it to anyone because I didn't believe anyone else experienced it.

I wonder how many such phenomena there are...

Eibro

This happens to me all the time. It gives me a feeling of satisfaction, like I conquered the alarm clock. Usually mornings where the alarm wakes me up, I wake up in a bad mood. But if I get up before the alarm wakes me, I get up happy :)
Eibro of Yeti Lovers.

Adron

Yes, that applies somewhat for me too. If I wake up to beat the alarm clock, I've slept well. If I don't, I'm tired.

Denial

Yes ive done that sometimes but other times it goes off i drag myself out of bed and turn it off and go back to sleep and im like just 2 more minutes. Then you know the rest of the story.
Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea

mejal

I think your brain still works in some way when you are asleep. When I was studying at the university, I often find the solution to difficult math and physical problem in the night when I was sleeping. When I woke up, I could write the solution down.

Back to the alarm clock, I also think we have a built in clock. If we not are too tired, we know what time it is, even when we are asleep.
I always wake up in time, just before my alarm clock if I know I have important things to do in the morning.
Compare to animals, horses know when its time for food, cows when it's milk time. There are a lot of examples.