• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Booleans

Started by brew, May 06, 2007, 10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Mystical

I comment everything, Sadly I even somtimes comment my txt files haha.

Warrior

Quote from: RεalityRipplε on May 07, 2007, 07:46 PM
It's not fundamental, it's a waste of storage space. And those interface standards are for any program you make in any language for any system. If you don't follow them, you'll confuse your users.

You're really beyond help. You're seriously saying that you like having code a few months old thrown at you and being able to think before picking it up? With comments you know exactly whats going on, exactly what a revision is, why something was done, when it was done, by who it was done, etc..

Let's say that I reverse and port the lockdown code to C#. Now let's say I give it to you with absolutely no comments. Will you know everything that's going on?  Probably not. With comments you'll know what I was thinking when I wrote a selected peice of code. That is the advantage of comments.

You claim all this certification, professional bullshit. but the fact of the matter is that no job will think twice about hiring a programmer who can't even comment his own code.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Barabajagal

I can, but I won't. Quite simply, I've converted thousands of lines of C# code to VB6 code without the use of comments while working on learning DirectShow when I was rewriting the core of my media player. The problem is you guys read regular words easier than you read code. If you really knew the languages, the code itself would be much more helpful to you than any comments would. Who gives a flying fuck who wrote it when? All that matters is what it's doing now, how to use it, and if and how it needs to be fixed.

Explicit

Quote from: RεalityRipplε on May 07, 2007, 08:06 PM
I can, but I won't. Quite simply, I've converted thousands of lines of C# code to VB6 code without the use of comments while working on learning DirectShow when I was rewriting the core of my media player. The problem is you guys read regular words easier than you read code. If you really knew the languages, the code itself would be much more helpful to you than any comments would. Who gives a flying fuck who wrote it when? All that matters is what it's doing now, how to use it, and if and how it needs to be fixed.

It's mainly the fact that commenting code is practically an essential in the field, especially on collaborative projects.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Warrior

Quote from: RεalityRipplε on May 07, 2007, 08:06 PM

It's not about a literal word by word translation of what the code does to english. It's more telling you why you did something, or explaining a complex algorithm. It saves time. That's the purpose of comments.

I'm fairly sure that you're only this cocky because you're used to the VB near-english like syntax. It's starting to roast your mind.

I also don't need "if you really knew the language you'd be able to blahblahblah" coming from someone who thinks a "VB Certification" is a key achievement in programming. What a joke.

Commenting is about thinking of people other than yourself when you write things, what if you share the code with someone? Do you expect them to immediately be able to pick up where you left off without atleast minor comments? We're humans man.

If you're too blind to see this than you seriously need to step back from the PC, take a deep breath, and come back with some common sense.
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Barabajagal

absolutely nobody has common sense, that's why programming languages are overly complex and stupid. Hence joke languages that poke at the idiocy of most other languages, such as INTERCAL. I'm not cocky, I just put logic over humanity's idiocy. BASIC started out as an educational language that was easy to learn, easy to understand, and easy to use. It was also just as functional as any other language out at the time. Suddenly, someone with some common sense thought "hey, why not step it up to everyday use?".  I said before, I can read C, C++, C# and Java just as well as I can read any of the BASIC series languages. I can only write in Java though. You guys have more skill than me in those areas, and you can't even read it as well as I can? COME ON.

warz

I think the original point has been missed, here.

Quote from: RεalityRipplε on May 06, 2007, 06:02 PMIf X = True Then is 7 extra characters you don't need, as I said before. " =True". Useless characters in your source code, just like comments.

Sadly, if you view a program in a disassembler, you will not be presented with visual basic code, and you will not see certain phrases such as "if this = that then do this." When you call something like that a 'useless' thing to do, it's like telling somebody that their opinion, or method of doing something isn't correct. When compiled, things will be optimized, and the difference between "if this then," and "if this = true then" will most likely be little to none. Comments are ignored completely, as it is anyways. You could have 50 lines of comments, and the application size wouldn't be any larger. It all comes down to whatever the person writing the code, or comments, feels like is the most understandable to himself. These features are available so that if somebody does need to write a quick thought down, or explain an algorithm, or make some notes so that they know where they left off the night before, then they can do it. It's sort of dumb to argue against comments, when all they do is help. It's also dumb to convince realityripple to use comments, because chances are nobody wants to try to figure out his visual basic media player code anyways. :P

Personally, I don't comment my code unless I'm leaving off somewhere real late at night, and am in the middle of something that I'd like to be able to pick back up on quickly, without having to rethink the entire thing again. With that said, I also haven't worked on many projects with multiple programmers. I do support commenting code that is being worked on by a group of people, or code that's intended to be shared.

edit: well, i guess comments could be included in asm output files if you choose. :p

Barabajagal

Apparently you didn't read my post correctly. I said useless characters in your source code, not your compiled EXE. I'm not stupid, no matter what you guys may think.

FrOzeN

Quote from: RεalityRipplε on May 07, 2007, 11:56 PMI'm not stupid, no matter what you guys may think.
Agreed. Mentally challenged with certain issues is a much more appropriate title to describe you.
~ FrOzeN

Warrior

Quote from: RεalityRipplε on May 07, 2007, 11:26 PM
absolutely nobody has common sense, that's why programming languages are overly complex and stupid. Hence joke languages that poke at the idiocy of most other languages, such as INTERCAL. I'm not cocky, I just put logic over humanity's idiocy. BASIC started out as an educational language that was easy to learn, easy to understand, and easy to use. It was also just as functional as any other language out at the time. Suddenly, someone with some common sense thought "hey, why not step it up to everyday use?".  I said before, I can read C, C++, C# and Java just as well as I can read any of the BASIC series languages. I can only write in Java though. You guys have more skill than me in those areas, and you can't even read it as well as I can? COME ON.

It's that sense of "I know everything better than everyone else" that will get you nowhere. Absolutely nowhere.
Commenting is the difference between getting paid the big bucks, and writting a Battle.net bot.

Barabajagal

Quote from: Warrior on May 08, 2007, 05:29 AM
Quote from: RεalityRipplε on May 07, 2007, 11:26 PM

It's that sense of "I know everything better than everyone else" that will get you nowhere. Absolutely nowhere.
Commenting is the difference between getting paid the big bucks, and writting a Battle.net bot.

I just said you guys know those languages better than I do, how is that I know everything better than everyone else? I don't give a damn about money. I hate the ideas of money, capitalism, and copyrights. I write software because it needs to be written, either for myself or others, or in most cases both. I write what I want, when I want, and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Banana fanna fo fanna

RR, how old are you...12?

Barabajagal

View my profile...?

Banana fanna fo fanna

I don't believe that you and I are the same age, which is why I ask.

Barabajagal

According to your profile, you're 4.

|