• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Main Menu

ACLU

Started by Arta, February 21, 2006, 10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arta

Quote from: MyndFyre on February 21, 2006, 04:40 PM
According to the ACLU, being offended == being injured.

Really? Got examples?

Have never heard anything much bad about the ACLU, would be interested in an opposing view.

MyndFyre

Off the cuff I don't and it will take me a while to look them up.  However, to be perfectly honest, this is not something particularly disputed in the US.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

CrAz3D

It depends whose side you look at it from.

Liberal:
ACLU helps the little guy out & protects rights

Conservative:
ACLU uses small people to go after big companies to (win money &) enforce what they (the ACLU) believes in...sorta like some sort of dictatorship?

The ACLU is good in idea, bad in practice.  It ends up hurting other people will trying to help some, well enough should be left alone.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

DarkMinion

Here's an example of why the ACLU is a joke:

The ACLU won millions for a girl's family from my high school because the girl was a quadriplegic and wasn't allowed on the school cheerleading squad, even though it is spelled out in the charter that cheerleaders are absolutely required to be physically able to perform the twirls, etc, whatever the hell they do.

One of their filthy lawyers showed up in a stretch limo to one of our football games and caused a big stink.  Some of you may actually remember this incident if you watch 20/20, was all over that for about a week.

Arta

That does sound bad. It sounds like they do good things as well, though, and it's certainly important that someone keep an eye on civil liberties.

hismajesty

While their intentions, on the surface anyway, may be pure; their practices are not. They also basically will NOT talk to you if you have differing viewpoints. (Reference Protest Warrior Video "Liberty Rising")

MyndFyre

Quote from: Arta[vL] on February 22, 2006, 08:48 AM
That does sound bad. It sounds like they do good things as well, though, and it's certainly important that someone keep an eye on civil liberties.
I don't think they keep an eye so much on civil liberties as the civil liberties of minority groups.

Another recent example: the ACLU petitioned the court to have crosses removed from memorials in a federal grave site simply because it was a federal grave site.  The crosses were put there by the American Legion, *not* the federal government.

Isn't this ludicrous?  Regardless of your feelings on religion, there has to be some measure of permitted display in public places.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

CrAz3D

Do they not also sue private companies on behalf of citizens whom were fired because they didn't agree politically or whatnot?
I'm thinkin about someone not being hired/being fired because they were gay & that company didn't like how that affected how some consumers viewed them.
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

MyndFyre

Quote from: CrAz3D on February 22, 2006, 04:44 PM
Do they not also sue private companies on behalf of citizens whom were fired because they didn't agree politically or whatnot?
I'm thinkin about someone not being hired/being fired because they were gay & that company didn't like how that affected how some consumers viewed them.

Well yeah, I mean that's illegal.  I work for mediation agencies that try to resolve this.  Usually it's the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) that files these kinds of lawsuits; the ACLU would only be involved in extreme or high-profile cases.

CrAz3D

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on February 22, 2006, 06:02 PM

Well yeah, I mean that's illegal.  I work for mediation agencies that try to resolve this.  Usually it's the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) that files these kinds of lawsuits; the ACLU would only be involved in extreme or high-profile cases.
Does Equal Oppurtunity apply to all companies in all cases?
(ré-bun-dance)

shadypalm88

Quote from: CrAz3D on February 22, 2006, 06:55 PM
Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on February 22, 2006, 06:02 PM

In all cases?  Only, I believe, if an unreasonable distinction is being drawn between the applicant and other applicants.  If I'm not hired for a position as a moving guy because I have no arms, well, that's understandable.  AFAIK it applies to all businesses.

Why, did you disagree with equal opportunity laws applying to the example that you gave?

MyndFyre

Quote from: CrAz3D on February 22, 2006, 06:55 PM
To the best of my knowledge, it applies to:
-- Publicly-traded corporations
-- Non-profit organizations
-- Government agencies
-- Agencies acting under the auspices of a government or non-profit grant.

A guy who owns his business can require that his employees be Christian, for instance.  They can sue if he fires them (for wrongful termination), but it's doubtful that they'd win, because it's a private business.  Things begin to get muddy, though, as soon as you bring in investors.  And that's what the law is designed to do: protect investors from the liability of these kinds of things, as well as the would-be victims.

CrAz3D

Is Hooters a publically traded company?
I've not once in my life seen a male waiter there.  Is that a type of discrimination?
(ré-bun-dance)

iago

Quote from: CrAz3D on February 22, 2006, 07:31 PM
I've not once in my life seen a male waiter there.  Is that a type of discrimination?

Yes, they're traded under the stock symbol HOOT
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

MyndFyre

Quote from: CrAz3D on February 22, 2006, 07:31 PM

It could simply say that no waiters have ever tried to work there.  Hooters has a stigma.