• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

What do you do with kids who can't be fixed?

Started by CrAz3D, February 20, 2006, 04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrAz3D

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/02/20/ranch.killings.ap/index.html

After some odd years of abuse this kid snapped & took out his family.
Ought he be comitted to some kind of psychiatric ward until he can be "tamed"?

I don't know what my opinion is yet.
Instinct when hearing he killed his stepmom, stepsister, & dad is death, but with the underlying circumstances...how do you rehabilitate a kid that is so disturbed he'd take out his family, even if they were asking for it.

What do y'all think?
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Mephisto

it's clearly speculation that he can't be rehabilitated.  we'll leave it to the judge to determine whether he can or cannot and the juvenile care takers who would be responsible for his rehabilitation to testify in determing whether he can be or cannot; not the prosecutor which deems him unrehabitable which you take for fact.  :)

CrAz3D

I'm not sure yet if he can be rehabilitated.
Quote...how do you rehabilitate a kid that is so disturbed he'd take out his family, even if they were asking for it.
Seems like it'd be hard...don't know how impossible though.

(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

disco

Ever read (or seen) A Clockwork Orange?  Good ol' aversion therapy should do the trick!
Say it with me:

CrAz3D

Quote from: Disco on February 20, 2006, 05:21 PM
Ever read (or seen) A Clockwork Orange?  Good ol' aversion therapy should do the trick!
That's exactly what I was thinking about.
Some sort of conditioning therapy.
What is to say that it can't become unlearned though? 
(ré-bun-dance)

Arta

He's 16 years old. I'm quite sure there's no way to tell if he can be rehabilitated without trying.

CrAz3D

What types of rehab could help, any knowledge about rehab?
(ré-bun-dance)

SNiFFeR

He will probably plead insanity.

Quote from: CrAz3D on February 20, 2006, 06:04 PM
What types of rehab could help, any knowledge about rehab?

Classical conditioning, Disco mentioned something about it. It's like to the same effect but not as harsh.

My friend went to drug rehab (solitary confinement) and came back a completely different person, although he still does drugs. His personality has changed so drastically that now I think he is crazy, well more crazy than he was before.

CrAz3D

yeah, he's been conditioned? to hate people I spose.
Clockwork orange kinda stuff might be able to reverse it, somehow...that'd have to be some serious psychological shit to reverse his mind
(ré-bun-dance)

Explicit

Send him off to the military so that he becomes no more than a number.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Arta

Grok

Quote from: Explicit[nK] on February 21, 2006, 03:39 AM

Absolutely not.  We do not want unstable people in the military.  Almost every job has some ability to affect the life or death of other people, especially on your own side.  Go watch Full Metal Jacket, a classic, if you haven't already seen it.  If you have, and think the boot camp shooting extreme, it is not.  Far worse things happen that you never hear about when unstable soldiers and marines snap under pressure.

CrAz3D

Isn't it possible that the kid just needs something to rely on?  The military could provide that.  A reliable structured environment couldallow the kid to become too occupied to kill people...
(ré-bun-dance)

Grok

Quote from: CrAz3D on February 21, 2006, 09:16 AM
Isn't it possible that the kid just needs something to rely on?  The military could provide that.  A reliable structured environment couldallow the kid to become too occupied to kill people...

The military does not exist to rehabilitate the criminally insane.  It's purpose is to prepare for war, and if ordered to, execute the war plans.

Explicit

Quote from: Grok on February 21, 2006, 08:35 AM
Quote from: Explicit[nK] on February 21, 2006, 03:39 AM

Absolutely not. We do not want unstable people in the military. Almost every job has some ability to affect the life or death of other people, especially on your own side. Go watch Full Metal Jacket, a classic, if you haven't already seen it. If you have, and think the boot camp shooting extreme, it is not. Far worse things happen that you never hear about when unstable soldiers and marines snap under pressure.

What I had in mind was for him to learn discipline, but of course, he'd have to be under close surveillance.  Perhaps rationality (on the boy's part) can be achieved through this.

For the record, I'd rather not compare this with a film.  Reality is something that speaks for itself, and relevating someone to a film is not an approach I'd prefer to compare.

Edit: I forgot to mention that films cannot accurately depict how each unique individual would respond under given circumstances.  Furthermore, films often overexaggerate the conflict whether it be internal or external.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.