Carefully Crafted Response to How to...

Started by hismajesty, December 22, 2005, 09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dxoigmn

Quote from: CrAz3D on December 25, 2005, 09:25 PM
Screw it, plants aren't intelligent.

Intelligence:
   The faculty of thought and reason.

Plants cannot think because they have no mind.

Probably best to move this away from the political forum.

http://forum.valhallalegends.com/index.php?topic=13652.0

Adron

Intelligence:

Ah, just what I was looking for. So, if we cannot reason with a fetus, it is not intelligent, and we can kill it!

Explicit

Quote from: Adron on December 26, 2005, 12:43 AM

Intelligence:

Ah, just what I was looking for. So, if we cannot reason with a fetus, it is not intelligent, and we can kill it!

So if you cannot reason with a fully-developed human being, you would kill it, too?
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Adron

Quote from: Explicit[nK] on December 26, 2005, 12:48 AM
So if you cannot reason with a fully-developed human being, you would kill it, too?

Well, if intelligence, being the ability to reason, is what sets humans apart from animals, then a fully-developed "something that is not intelligent" is not a human. It is a beast, just like a cow, rattle snake, mosquito, or anything else that we kill.

Explicit

Quote from: Adron on December 26, 2005, 12:55 AM

Well, if intelligence, being the ability to reason, is what sets humans apart from animals, then a fully-developed "something that is not intelligent" is not a human. It is a beast, just like a cow, rattle snake, mosquito, or anything else that we kill.

But some beasts, such as dolphins, horses, and dogs, are intelligent also.  They have the capacity to learn, don't they?

Falcon[anti-yL]

Quote from: Explicit[nK] on December 26, 2005, 01:31 AM
Quote from: Adron on December 26, 2005, 12:55 AM

But some beasts, such as dolphins, horses, and dogs, are intelligent also.  They have the capacity to learn, don't they?
Sure they do, to a certain extent, you can't teach any of those animals to reason.

WoOdTroll

Uhm, dogs are train to be the eyes of blind people. They know when to cross a road when waiting for the lights.

MyndFyre

Learning is a very touchy subject.  There are two types of learning: one that involves simply stimulus-response (classical conditioning), and one that involves reinforcement techniques (operant conditioning).  Most animals are capable of the first, and many the second.  That doesn't make them "intelligent," though.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Explicit

Quote from: MyndFyre on December 26, 2005, 02:56 AM
Learning is a very touchy subject.  There are two types of learning: one that involves simply stimulus-response (classical conditioning), and one that involves reinforcement techniques (operant conditioning).  Most animals are capable of the first, and many the second.  That doesn't make them "intelligent," though.

At the risk of sounding stupid, could you provide an example of each type?

CrAz3D

Who is to say younger children/infants/fetus' can't reason?
Maybe on a SUPER smaller level they can?

Besides, it isn't intelligence alone that we basis the decision to kill fetus' on.  We also look at whether or not they are alive yet.

Babies kick in the womb, to kick it must be alive.  To kill something that is alive is murder
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Adron

Quote from: CrAz3D on December 26, 2005, 09:16 AM
Babies kick in the womb, to kick it must be alive.  To kill something that is alive is murder

Ah. Any idea if cows can kick? You like steak?

CrAz3D

I mentioned that it was a combination of things.

I was just using the kicking to explain that its alive (muwah ah ah)
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

Adron

CrAz3D

Ok, you're murdering a cow, they taste good & that is their purpose, to be eaten (or worship if you live in other parts of the world)
(ré-bun-dance)

Hitmen

Quote from: CrAz3D on December 26, 2005, 10:20 AM
Ok, you're murdering a cow, they taste good & that is their purpose, to be eaten (or worship if you live in other parts of the world)
What if I want a nice tasty fetus burger?

|