• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Man Executed For Drugs

Started by Mephisto, December 02, 2005, 12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

Quote from: Rule on September 26, 2006, 10:15 AM
You're using what you're ultimately trying to argue as a hypothesis. 
Typically, the hypothesis is that which is argued when writing an argument.  Rarely does one need to argue a fact.

That's no more convincing than writing, "prohibition is bad because I say so," and in fact, it's basically equivalent to your argument: writing that something "should be obvious" is not very meaningful or rigorous support for your claim.
You picked and chose very minor asides or Arta's arguments.  You ignored completely the "alcoholics probably do not prostitute themselves..." remark, which in my mind is one of the central arguments against prohibition.  And, in fact, you made Arta's point:
The drug is also likely to be a lot more (physically/psychologically) accessible to certain groups of people, so those people will be more likely to try the drug, and when they do this they could lose control and damage other people.
That's one of the problems; one of the biggest groups to which drugs are accessible, kids, is one of the groups to which they are most psychologically accessible.  Kids are already looking for a way to rebel, and drugs are an incredibly convenient forum for them.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Rule

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on September 26, 2006, 11:47 AM
Typically, the hypothesis is that which is argued when writing an argument.  Rarely does one need to argue a fact.

Obviously I meant axiom. Thanks for capitalizing on what was clearly a careless error though.

You picked and chose very minor asides or Arta's arguments.  You ignored completely the "alcoholics probably do not prostitute themselves..." remark

First of all, we don't know that, and second, we don't know whether people would be more likely to prostitute themselves for alcohol if it were illegal.

And, in fact, you made Arta's point:....

I absolutely didn't.  Are you being particularly dense on purpose?  Or do you propose that we make hard drugs like crystal meth legal for 10 year olds to buy and try?  Currently the "legalized" drugs are only "legal" for adults, and with good reason. 

RealityRipple

Alchohol was illegal. People didn't prostitute themselves for it. they went to speakeasies.

Grok

Quote from: Rule on September 26, 2006, 02:46 PM

I absolutely didn't.  Are you being particularly dense on purpose?  Or do you propose that we make hard drugs like crystal meth legal for 10 year olds to buy and try?  Currently the "legalized" drugs are only "legal" for adults, and with good reason. 

How weak, appeal to the children when all else fails.  Do we really need to state that we're talking about adults?  On the same line you accused MyndFyre of being dense too.
Children can do any number of things that are not illegal but are deadly.  Maybe we have failed the children by not making laws against these things for adults.  Do we really want 10-year olds being able to fly planes into skyscrapers?  Oh wait, that's legal, but they aren't doing it.  Still, we need a law against adults flying planes so that children won't do it.

Rule

Quote from: Grok on September 27, 2006, 08:52 AM
Quote from: Rule on September 26, 2006, 02:46 PM

How weak, appeal to the children when all else fails.  Do we really need to state that we're talking about adults?  On the same line you accused MyndFyre of being dense too.
Children can do any number of things that are not illegal but are deadly.  Maybe we have failed the children by not making laws against these things for adults.  Do we really want 10-year olds being able to fly planes into skyscrapers?  Oh wait, that's legal, but they aren't doing it.  Still, we need a law against adults flying planes so that children won't do it.

Uh, when all else fails?  Did you really think about that when you wrote it, or did it just sound good?  It was claimed that legalising hard drugs would make them less psychologically accessible to children, so it is incredibly relevant to point out that the drugs that are currently "legal" are not legal for children.  And, I doubt you support making it legal for young children to buy and try heroin, etc, so.. 
perhaps you should have read the thread more carefully before making comments like "do we really need to say we're talking about adults.." (when we both were specifically talking about children), and then proceeding to go on some irrelevant rant. 

RealityRipple

Are you saying children don't abuse drugs that are illegal to them but legal to adults? If so, you're quite mistaken.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Grok on September 25, 2006, 11:08 AM
Quote from: Arta[vL] on September 25, 2006, 09:42 AM
Quote from: CrAz3D on September 24, 2006, 09:01 PM
It ruins marriages, families, job performance...then you just have some homeless person addicted to whatever drug & will do anything to get it

Drugs do most of those things *because* they're illegal.

Arta's quite correct.  Consider riding bicycles.  Currently, riding bicycles is legal everywhere, as far as I know.  (An aside here, skateboarding is illegal in many places!)  If we were to have all governments, federal state and local, make the production of bicycles illegal, their sale, distribution, and usage illegal, what would it be like for these people who still ride bicycles?  They would be stigmatized, ostracized, arrested, fingerprinted, jailed, put on probation, have to pay fines, be labelled as criminals, lose their jobs, ruin their marriages, and so on.  Bicycles are dangerous whether legal or not, and their usage ruins marriages, families, ...

To understand the decriminalization of drugs you merely need inject a currently legal activity into the role that drugs currently occupy.  I avoided using alcohol because it's too easy a target and invokes its own set of demonic arguments.
But bicycles dont create the same mental issues drugs do.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

RealityRipple

Quote from: CrAz3D on September 27, 2006, 12:10 PM
Quote from: Grok on September 25, 2006, 11:08 AM
Quote from: Arta[vL] on September 25, 2006, 09:42 AM
Quote from: CrAz3D on September 24, 2006, 09:01 PM
It ruins marriages, families, job performance...then you just have some homeless person addicted to whatever drug & will do anything to get it

Drugs do most of those things *because* they're illegal.

Arta's quite correct.  Consider riding bicycles.  Currently, riding bicycles is legal everywhere, as far as I know.  (An aside here, skateboarding is illegal in many places!)  If we were to have all governments, federal state and local, make the production of bicycles illegal, their sale, distribution, and usage illegal, what would it be like for these people who still ride bicycles?  They would be stigmatized, ostracized, arrested, fingerprinted, jailed, put on probation, have to pay fines, be labelled as criminals, lose their jobs, ruin their marriages, and so on.  Bicycles are dangerous whether legal or not, and their usage ruins marriages, families, ...

To understand the decriminalization of drugs you merely need inject a currently legal activity into the role that drugs currently occupy.  I avoided using alcohol because it's too easy a target and invokes its own set of demonic arguments.
Some bicyclists are more enthusiastic than some druggies about their passion. You know... the guys out there in yellow, spandex-looking bike outfits with the gloves, the lighted helmet, the sideview mirror, the glasses, etc... That can also get just as expensive as some drug addictions. O, and then there's steroids, but that's for a different topic, methinks.

Zer0

Wow i didnt expect to see this topic here i know ALOT about this topic in 2005 i was charged with agravated drug trafficing on 5 counts. Drugs can really fuck up your life but i am a adict. my drug of choice was cocaine. I am currently attending rehab, and AA i have just recently hit 30 days sober and this is one of the hardest thing i have ever done in my life. There is nothing saying drugs WILL ruine your life but if you become a adict your screwed. just my opinion.

Rule

Quote from: RealityRipple on September 27, 2006, 10:29 AM
Are you saying children don't abuse drugs that are illegal to them but legal to adults? If so, you're quite mistaken.

No, that's not what I'm saying. 

I wish people read threads more carefully and thought more about the content of the post they are responding to.  (Just a general comment, not directed to anyone in particular.)

Arta

Drug use doesn't create mental issues, mental issues engender drug use. Once someone is using drugs, their use may certainly worsen their mental state, but it's important to get the first step the right way round.

RealityRipple

I think he meant mental issues as in addiction and dependancy after prolonged use, but maybe not.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Arta[vL] on September 28, 2006, 04:23 AM

Drug use doesn't create mental issues, mental issues engender drug use. Once someone is using drugs, their use may certainly worsen their mental state, but it's important to get the first step the right way round.
Drug use can break it down further yeah, but bicycling isnt going to break someone's brain apart like drugs will.  You cant get fried from riding your bike too much
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

RealityRipple

Crashing on a bike can kill you. And if bike riding was illegal, you would get fired for it.

Forged

Quote from: RealityRipple on September 27, 2006, 10:29 AM

No, but it is much easier for a kid to get illegal street drugs than it is alcohol.  I know at fourteen I had access to cocaine and pot but alcohol was almost impossible to get.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

|