• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Should felons be able to vote?

Started by CrAz3D, November 14, 2005, 09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrAz3D

rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

DeTaiLs

I think voting is a privilege and when you break laws you should lose this privilege.

CrAz3D

Quote from: DeTaiLs on November 14, 2005, 09:50 PM
I think voting is a privilege and when you break laws you should lose this privilege.
Hmm, I always recall being taught that voting is a right.

I still believe it is a right, however, I do believe some people (other than idiots) shouldn't be allowed to vote.
I don't know how you'd make that acceptable though, maybe give felons a status of "sub-human", I'm ok with that.
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

Topaz

I think felons should be allowed to vote. What their crimes were has no matter to them participating in government.

CrAz3D

What if their crime had to do w/government?  i.e. war crimes or something?

I see it as they aren't human.  They are not able to function like normal people in society.  They are errors.
(ré-bun-dance)

Topaz

Quote from: CrAz3D on November 14, 2005, 10:34 PM
I see it as they aren't human. They are not able to function like normal people in society. They are errors.

Really condescending, considering that most people serving time don't even commit major crimes. What if you ended up in jail for a DUI or something? Would you consider yourself a mistake? Would you think yourself sub-human?

It's hard to understand things like this being said when humans have climbed so far and achieved so much.

Forged

I see no reason why a felon should not be allowed a fundamental right such as voting.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

Adron

I think felons should be allowed to vote. If a law is wrong and turns everyone but a few people into felons, then noone would be able to fix it? :P

CrAz3D

Quote from: Topaz on November 14, 2005, 10:41 PM
Quote from: CrAz3D on November 14, 2005, 10:34 PM
I see it as they aren't human. They are not able to function like normal people in society. They are errors.

Really condescending, considering that most people serving time don't even commit major crimes. What if you ended up in jail for a DUI or something? Would you consider yourself a mistake? Would you think yourself sub-human?

It's hard to understand things like this being said when humans have climbed so far and achieved so much.
A felony isn't a mistake, it is a wrong doing.
DUI?...yes, those people should have their license revoked, drunk drivers kill
(ré-bun-dance)

Forged

QuoteA felony isn't a mistake, it is a wrong doing
A felony can be being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

CrAz3D

Quote from: Forged on November 14, 2005, 11:04 PM
QuoteA felony isn't a mistake, it is a wrong doing
A felony can be being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
...not to mention doing the wrong thing
(ré-bun-dance)

iago

If felons should be able to vote, so should children under 18.  If voting is a right that everybody deserves, why disallow people under a certain (arbitrary) age?  There are a lot of people of legal age (say, felons) who shouldn't be allowed to vote, and a lot of people under legal age who should. 
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

FrOzeN

When a felon is free from jail, they have paid there crime and therefore should be allowed access to there civil rights (or w/e there called).
~ FrOzeN

CrAz3D

Quote from: FrOzeN on November 15, 2005, 12:04 AM
When a felon is free from jail, they have paid there crime and therefore should be allowed access to there civil rights (or w/e there called).
"All men are created equal".  So, by that logic, from birth all males should be able to vote.

Things are meant to be interpretted I believe.  Bible, Constitution, w/e.  Yes, those things have a nice foundation but cannot stand alone in today's society.

I don't think women are equal, the declaration of independence supports my view by saying "all men."
(ré-bun-dance)

Arta

I think felons should be allowed to vote. I see no reason why committing a felony should strip someone of that right.

I think the argument for allowing children to vote is an interesting one. We should start a new thread for it.