• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

God, Pledge, WTF

Started by CrAz3D, September 15, 2005, 04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

dxoigmn

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 16, 2005, 10:27 PM
You're a jerk, and the reason that I have a strong detest towards teenagers. Doing a Nazi salute was trashy and uncalled for.

That is what you were originally supposed to do when reciting the pledge...

Topaz

There's the feeling that Hitmen's intent was just to be an asshole.

dxoigmn

Quote from: daRktYpE on September 16, 2005, 11:35 PM
There's the feeling that Hitmen's intent was just to be an asshole.

Or patriotic? After all he was excercising his freedom of speech. Is not patriotic now-a-days?

hismajesty

How does a Nazi salute show patriotism towards America - you know, the country that lost countless men fighting the Nazi's...

Arta

Sounds like hitmen didn't have the choice.

hismajesty

Quote from: Arta[vL] on September 17, 2005, 05:39 AM

By law he did, the federal government can't check in with every teacher in America every morning to make sure they allowed people to optionally participate.

Hitmen

If my teacher was an asshole I was going to be an asshole back. The nazi salute was just a symbol to make others aware of the oppressive reign of a stupid teacher. I was in 8th grade and didn't know shit about law, all I know was I got a detention for a stupid reason. It was plenty called for.

Mephisto

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 17, 2005, 08:33 AM
Quote from: Arta[vL] on September 17, 2005, 05:39 AM

By law he did, the federal government can't check in with every teacher in America every morning to make sure they allowed people to optionally participate.

More reason why it shouldn't exist in the pledge.  Your rationale sucks.

Mephisto

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 16, 2005, 10:27 PM
You're a jerk, and the reason that I have a strong detest towards teenagers. Doing a Nazi salute was trashy and uncalled for.

Last time I checked you were a 16-year-old teenager like many of us here.  You've also done some pretty immature things on this board, like I have too, and HitMan, and others.   :P

Soul Taker

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 16, 2005, 08:52 PM
I don't understand your question, could you reword it?

The first part of your argument, about meeting in schools, the governement does this (according to AP Government freshmen year) to just simply avoid conflict. If they allowed say, Jews, to hold a religious meeting in a school, they'd have to allow Satanists, which wouldn't look good, etc.
So then, if they have a time set aside, and reading over the speaker system, for a pledge which states your belief that the country was founded under God... shouldn't they also have one that doesn't require the reciters to believe in that religious aspect?  It's the same as allowing everyone *but* satanists, athiests, etc, to hold meetings in schools.

Adron

Well, they should absolutely set a time aside for reciting a godless pledge, stating how the USA is "a country with no god".

hismajesty

Quote from: Mephisto on September 17, 2005, 10:31 AMLast time I checked you were a 16-year-old teenager like many of us here. You've also done some pretty immature things on this board, like I have too, and HitMan, and others. :P

I may be a teenager, but that doesn't mean I like it. I was upset the day I turned 13 because I was now something I didn't like (even then.)

Quote from: Soul Taker on September 17, 2005, 10:38 AM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 16, 2005, 08:52 PM
I don't understand your question, could you reword it?

The first part of your argument, about meeting in schools, the governement does this (according to AP Government freshmen year) to just simply avoid conflict. If they allowed say, Jews, to hold a religious meeting in a school, they'd have to allow Satanists, which wouldn't look good, etc.
So then, if they have a time set aside, and reading over the speaker system, for a pledge which states your belief that the country was founded under God... shouldn't they also have one that doesn't require the reciters to believe in that religious aspect? It's the same as allowing everyone *but* satanists, athiests, etc, to hold meetings in schools.

Ah. Well, we have a moment of silence prior to the pledge where they can do what they wish (religious or not).

Mephisto

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 17, 2005, 11:18 AM
Quote from: Mephisto on September 17, 2005, 10:31 AMLast time I checked you were a 16-year-old teenager like many of us here. You've also done some pretty immature things on this board, like I have too, and HitMan, and others. :P

I may be a teenager, but that doesn't mean I like it. I was upset the day I turned 13 because I was now something I didn't like (even then.)

Well, I feel very sorry for you.  Teenage years aren't something to waste lighly IMO.  :)

Zorm

Quote from: Hitmen on September 16, 2005, 10:08 PM
I've always thought it was stupid and unnecessary. At the begining of the year in 8th grade I got a detention for not reciting the pledge. After that I figured out a surefire way to not have to do it anymore. The next day I help my hand up in a nazi salute facing the teacher, which got me sent to the office. After arguing with the principal I never had to stand up or recite some stupid words against my will again. Ever since then I've had teachers that weren't over patriotic asstards and it hasn't been a problem.

Thats just being an asshole, people give their lives so that you can be free and you can't even attempt to return the favor by saying a few simple words? Go kill yourself.

Around here everyone stands when the pledge is being said even though they aren't forced to. Its a matter of respect and realizing that if the thing that sucks most during your day is saying the pledge then you have it easy.

As for the ruling, I suspect it will be overturned if it goes to the Supreme Court. It will end up a lot like the ten commandments decision in that if its not forcing a specific religion onto someone then its ok. On can't deny the fact that America was founded with religion being a part of it, theres absolutely no reason to hide it or be ashamed of it. I'll restate the fact that if the hardest part of your day is saying 'god' then you are a lucky son of a bitch.
"Now, gentlemen, let us do something today which the world make talk of hereafter."
- Admiral Lord Collingwood

Mephisto

Quote from: Zorm on September 17, 2005, 10:02 PM
Quote from: Hitmen on September 16, 2005, 10:08 PM
I've always thought it was stupid and unnecessary. At the begining of the year in 8th grade I got a detention for not reciting the pledge. After that I figured out a surefire way to not have to do it anymore. The next day I help my hand up in a nazi salute facing the teacher, which got me sent to the office. After arguing with the principal I never had to stand up or recite some stupid words against my will again. Ever since then I've had teachers that weren't over patriotic asstards and it hasn't been a problem.

Thats just being an asshole, people give their lives so that you can be free and you can't even attempt to return the favor by saying a few simple words? Go kill yourself.

Around here everyone stands when the pledge is being said even though they aren't forced to. Its a matter of respect and realizing that if the thing that sucks most during your day is saying the pledge then you have it easy.

As for the ruling, I suspect it will be overturned if it goes to the Supreme Court. It will end up a lot like the ten commandments decision in that if its not forcing a specific religion onto someone then its ok. On can't deny the fact that America was founded with religion being a part of it, theres absolutely no reason to hide it or be ashamed of it. I'll restate the fact that if the hardest part of your day is saying 'god' then you are a lucky son of a bitch.

No one is saying, at least I don't think, that saying 'God' in the pledge is easy or not.  Additionally, I don't believe the argument is about showing respect to those fight for our country, or what our country stands for, etc.  It's about religion, and how God, and moreover the reason it was put in the pledge, is an issue for many people in the USA.

|