• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Unilateralism will bring about more conflicts.

Started by Arta, August 09, 2005, 06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrAz3D

No, that would mean we were created BECAUSE of religous persecution.  BananaFanna man is right
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

hismajesty

Look at American society today, although it's less obvious, you can still see how we were built on puritanical beleifs. Thomas Jefferson, a founding father, was a strong advocate of religion. Sure, America was created with the freedom to worship freely, but that's not what I'm saying. I'm not saying America was built on the Christian faith alone (though, it wouldn't be hard to argue that point I'd wager) but just that it was built with it's root based in the idea of religion, and religion itself.

When they were starving, freezing, and falling dead day after day, I'm sure they were praying to some sort of God as well. =)

Arta

The attitude behind that rant is the reason so many countries are bitchy towards the US.

Foreign aid is, to quote the West Wing, "the price you pay for being rich, free and alive, all at the same time". The same applies to all countries for which that is true.

hismajesty

I agree that being the #1 world power comes with the responsiblity to help everyone, but if they're going to give us that duty they shouldn't lash out when we also police the world, as I agree that also comes with the territory.

It just erks me when countries bite the hand that feeds them, to pull out a cliche.

Topaz

The foreign aid we provide barely touches the surface, it being spread out among the various countries in need of it. Should we pull out, that would benefit us AND the numerous beliefs that we're the global tyrant and police.

Arta

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on August 11, 2005, 07:01 PM
we also police the world, as I agree that also comes with the territory.

No. It really, really, really doesn't. The US cannot dictate proper conduct to the rest of the world. It is not appropriate or ethical for the US to be the world's dictator, any more than it is appropriate for a person to be the dictator of a country. The world must be policed by consensus. That is hard, but it is the only way. Unilateralism does more harm than good.

nslay

Quote from: Arta[vL] on August 11, 2005, 07:08 PM

No. It really, really, really doesn't. The US cannot dictate proper conduct to the rest of the world. It is not appropriate or ethical for the US to be the world's dictator, any more than it is appropriate for a person to be the dictator of a country. The world must be policed by consensus. That is hard, but it is the only way. Unilateralism does more harm than good.

Well, it's happening unfortunately...

CrAz3D

Ok, so we're supposed to give all these countries money & just let them knock us & then not even be able to enforce how the aid is used?  BS, screw them, they become their own damn super power
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Topaz

nslay, Fuck you.

Sadly, we can't just pull out, even if it's the best thing to do. We're already in too deep and too involved in their affairs to just tell them that we don't give a shit anymore.

Forged

Quote from: CrAz3D on August 11, 2005, 08:12 PM

Ok, so we're supposed to give all these countries money & just let them knock us & then not even be able to enforce how the aid is used?  BS, screw them, they become their own damn super power

I personally don't think we should be giving forgien countrys aid to begin with, we have enough shit to deal with on the home front.  However I think the idea that helping them should require them to support us in everything we do is unrealistic.  I might love my family and they might help support me, but that does not neccisarilly mean I agree with everything they do...
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

|