• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Unilateralism will bring about more conflicts.

Started by Arta, August 09, 2005, 06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arta

CrAz3D

I believe that too much big government accomplishes very little good.  UN, pointless; constitutional ammendment banning gay marriage, ridiculous; total government control of business, not productive.

Wasn't it the originally G.W. (George Washington) that said we should keep no indefinate treaties with other countries?
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Arta

Someone said that the US should have freidnly relations with all countries an entangling relations with none, or something similar. Unfortunately, when that was said, get entangled with a nation was a rather difficult and time-consuming process. These days, it's much harder to avoid. I like the principle, but I think it's wishful thinking.

CrAz3D

I think it would be easy enough to start to move to become more isolationistic in terms of other countries' human rights & aid & the like.  If we just focus on business with other countries & giving aid to our own countries then maybe it all would work better & fewer people would have their toes stepped on
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

Topaz

Quote from: CrAz3D on August 09, 2005, 06:58 PM
Wasn't it the originally G.W. (George Washington) that said we should keep no indefinate treaties with other countries?

I'm pretty sure most treaties expire, and usually get rewritten with new terms as such. They also get broken through war pacts and etc.

Forged

So my 8th grade history teacher said.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

CrAz3D

Quote from: Topaz on August 09, 2005, 11:03 PM

I'm pretty sure most treaties expire, and usually get rewritten with new terms as such. They also get broken through war pacts and etc.
So when does the UN expire?
(ré-bun-dance)

Topaz

The UN isn't a treaty in itself, just a global(?) alliance(?).

CrAz3D

(ré-bun-dance)

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: CrAz3D on August 10, 2005, 11:38 AM
A treaty is an alliance basically.

No.

I think it depends on the situation. Bilateral talks with countries that we aren't friendly with and have governments not run by a single total complete wacko (like North Korea) are productive, but with NK, I think unilateral talks are key.

CrAz3D

An alliance is a type of treaty, sorry, I had it backwards
(ré-bun-dance)

nslay

Quote from: CrAz3D on August 10, 2005, 12:02 AM
Quote from: Topaz on August 09, 2005, 11:03 PM

So when does the UN expire?

Mmm, beer is good

It did expire...it expired when the soviet union fell...why does the US need to go through the UN when no one poses a threat to them?

CrAz3D

The UN expired?...what is this thing in the news about the huge oil for food scandal that happened within the UN?
(ré-bun-dance)

nslay

Quote from: CrAz3D on August 10, 2005, 07:07 PM
The UN expired?...what is this thing in the news about the huge oil for food scandal that happened within the UN?

Although the UN provides aid, it fails in its objective...it's not able to stop the US's actions, it has no leverage to force the US to deal through it.  It sounds like another failure like the league of nations (which all it could do was point its finger at Japan and tell it that it was a bad boy).
Oh yeah, Colin Powell basically called it "obsolete"

Topaz

Power has to balance power, but its not done in the modern world. America can overrule any country or alliance in its decision, and our manpower usually intimidates or even bullies other countries into submission or agreement to our terms. It's sad, really, because we really can't do too much about it.