• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Equal Marriage Rights

Started by CrAz3D, June 16, 2005, 05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do YOU believe that everyone has the right to be married to whomever?

Yes
10 (55.6%)
No
8 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

MyndFyre

Quote from: Blaze on June 17, 2005, 01:50 PM
Thats a very good point Arta.  It's very similiar to racism.

Except that race is definitely genetic, where sexual preference is not.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Here's my issue:

- I don't think the government should legislate to reduce people's freedoms unless it harms (note: harm != offend) someone else

BUT:

- I think homosexuality spreads, and is acquired and not in-born. I think it's wrong, and tries to spread its influence over others. I've seen firsthand at certain colleges the peer pressure for normal straight people to be pressured into being gay. That's wrong. And supporting gay marriage might encourage those people.

Plus, we were designed for reproduction, anyway.

So there's my conundrum. Anyone want to enlighten me on a solution?

CrAz3D

KILL THE GAYS!

HOO RAH! 

j/k?
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Banana fanna fo fanna

I never said that, in fact I support the GSA at my school because, statistically, having a GSA (gay straight alliance) club reduces suicides. No one deserves to die just because of their sexual orientation.

I just think that homosexuality spreads and is pushed on people, and I think that's a Bad Thing.

dxoigmn

Quote from: Banana fanna fo fanna on June 18, 2005, 12:18 PM
I just think that homosexuality spreads and is pushed on people, and I think that's a Bad Thing.

Do you believe the same about Christianity or pretty much any other organized religion?

MyndFyre

Quote from: dxoigmn on June 18, 2005, 12:25 PM

Do you believe the same about Christianity or pretty much any other organized religion?

As we said before, though, religions generally don't cause people to not reproduce or pick up diseases.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: dxoigmn on June 18, 2005, 12:25 PM

In the past? Yes, of course.

Today? No. Of course, my only place of knowledge is in the USA, but I've often heard it referred to as ultra-religious compared to the rest of the world. Christianity is pushed on us in no way shape or form; in fact, oftentimes such pressures are totally resisted against in our society.

So I don't think that it's pushed on people. And I also don't appreciate how you are trying to make this a political issue by using the issue of religion.

dxoigmn

Quote from: Banana fanna fo fanna on June 18, 2005, 08:20 PM
Today? No. Of course, my only place of knowledge is in the USA, but I've often heard it referred to as ultra-religious compared to the rest of the world. Christianity is pushed on us in no way shape or form; in fact, oftentimes such pressures are totally resisted against in our society.

So I don't think that it's pushed on people. And I also don't appreciate how you are trying to make this a political issue by using the issue of religion.

I just had the postman tell me I should find jesus. Then I told him no and he called me a sinner. It used to be that every other day or so mormons would come a knocking. They've stopped now since I told them off. There certainly is a pressure, at least in my experience.

Gay marriage is not a political issue? It certainly has everything to do with religion.

Quote from: MyndFyre on June 18, 2005, 02:49 PM
As we said before, though, religions generally don't cause people to not reproduce or pick up diseases.

News alert! Heterosexuals get diseases too! As for reproduction...it's a good thing, we're already overcrowded.

Arta

Quote from: MyndFyre on June 17, 2005, 06:06 PM

Presumably if genetics is the only factor, you'd have no problem with preventing non-Christians from marrying. Or devil-worshippers. Or felons. Or people with piercings.

Adron

Quote from: Arta[vL] on June 18, 2005, 11:09 PM
Presumably if genetics is the only factor, you'd have no problem with preventing non-Christians from marrying. Or devil-worshippers. Or felons. Or people with piercings.

Would be even more fun to prevent christians from marrying. That way they couldn't procreate without sinning, and soon enough they'd be extinct!

MyndFyre

Quote from: Arta[vL] on June 18, 2005, 11:09 PM
Quote from: MyndFyre on June 17, 2005, 06:06 PM

You're missing my point.

Homosexuality is a choice that prevents the natural advancement of genetic selection.  It also may have negative psychological impacts on children raised by a homosexual couple (although there has been no formal research conducted, I believe it would generally be looked upon as "unethical").  Non-Christians marrying are not preventing natural genetic selection.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having piercings.

Felons -- I don't know that there's a genetic predisposition to be a criminal.

Devil-worshippers -- do they have marital ceremonies?

Adron

Quote from: MyndFyre on June 19, 2005, 03:51 AM
Homosexuality is a choice that prevents the natural advancement of genetic selection.

Why do animals choose to be homosexual? Are animals capable of considering the choice of heterosexuality versus homosexuality?

Arta

My point was that all of those people (except piercings :P) are choosing a lifestyle that significantly influences their lives, and can significantly influence the lives of their children .

I don't see your genetics argument as valid:

1) There aren't enough gay people to significantly influence the gene pool
2) Gay people aren't going to have children anyway, so what does it matter if they're married without children or unmarried without children?

Finally, gay couples often seek to adopt children, have children with a sorrogate mother. I'm sure many of you will scream blue murder about the prospect of gay couples raising children too, but I think it's fine. This, in fact is of significant benefit to society: we sorely need more foster parents and couples willing to adopt.

Adron

Quote from: Arta[vL] on June 19, 2005, 10:56 AM
This, in fact is of significant benefit to society: we sorely need more foster parents and couples willing to adopt.

Which, btw, is one good reason for evolution to generate homosexuality: More people to care for the small ones whose parents died ;)

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: dxoigmn on June 18, 2005, 09:45 PM
I just had the postman tell me I should find jesus. Then I told him no and he called me a sinner. It used to be that every other day or so mormons would come a knocking. They've stopped now since I told them off. There certainly is a pressure, at least in my experience.

OK. I still don't feel the pressure, though. I've had a Jehovah's Witness maybe once in my life come to my house.

Gay marriage is not a political issue? It certainly has everything to do with religion.

It definately is a political issue, however, you were using a comparison with religion to take a cheap shot at the values of many members of my political affiliation, which, as a matter of fact, don't feel very strongly about. I was honestly trying to come to a decision on this one; I am un-decided, but leaning towards the left on this issue. But then someone like you makes me realize why it's tough to agree with liberals: because you have to resort to veiled "YOU'RE A DIRTY REPUBLICAN CHRISTIAN" tactics. You could have said something to the effect of, "well homosexuality doesn't spread because...", or "in some situations, yes it does spread, but overall...", or an equivalent factual rebuttle.

Man, Ann Coulter was right.

|