• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Equal Marriage Rights

Started by CrAz3D, June 16, 2005, 05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do YOU believe that everyone has the right to be married to whomever?

Yes
10 (55.6%)
No
8 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

CrAz3D

I do, but my reason is just so everyone will shut up.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Blaze

I don't have a problems with gays/lesbians but marriage is for a man and a women.
Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No

MyndFyre

Personally, I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Secularly, I do not believe that there is a legitimate government reason to not allow unions between men or women.

However, I can see a potential issue coming out of this (no pun intended).  Give gays the right to marry, then some idiot from Kentucky will want to marry his goat, or a polygamist from Colorado City (AZ) will want to marry a 16-year old.  If everyone has equal rights, then everyone has equal rights.

I think that marriage should be legally defined as between a man and a woman.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

dxoigmn

Quote from: MyndFyre on June 16, 2005, 08:03 PM
However, I can see a potential issue coming out of this (no pun intended).  Give gays the right to marry, then some idiot from Kentucky will want to marry his goat, or a polygamist from Colorado City (AZ) will want to marry a 16-year old.  If everyone has equal rights, then everyone has equal rights.

Of course there has to be some point at which you draw the line. Drawing the line after same sex marriages seems reasonable. This same kind of argument can be said for pretty much anything (e.g. gun control) and any other time it it used it is dismissed as foolishness. So why don't we do the same here.

CrAz3D

Quote from: MyndFyre on June 16, 2005, 08:03 PM
Personally, I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Secularly, I do not believe that there is a legitimate government reason to not allow unions between men or women.

I think that marriage should be legally defined as between a man and a woman.
oh poo! :(  You got to the point I was gonna make.  (This whole thing came from an article I read on CNN today)

As for drawing lines, you can't fairly draw a line @ same-sex because then the polyigamists (sp?) will push & they should rightfully get their way...same with the goat freaks.  How would it be just to allow same-sex & not multiple marriages?
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

disco

Say it with me:

dxoigmn

Quote from: CrAz3D on June 16, 2005, 08:33 PM
As for drawing lines, you can't fairly draw a line @ same-sex because then the polyigamists (sp?) will push & they should rightfully get their way...same with the goat freaks.  How would it be just to allow same-sex & not multiple marriages?

That argument is quite frankly bullshit and you know it.

Someone please explain to me why they feel so strongly that marriage should be between a man and woman? Religious reasons? How does the marriage between two men or women infringe upon your rights? Or is just an aesthetic?

Adron

A lot of what you're saying gets lost in translation here... If you want to reserve the use of the word "marriage" for man-woman unions only, that's fine with me. It doesn't matter what you call it, as long as there aren't any other differences. Man-man or woman-woman unions could be called mariages or homriges or whatever if that helps people feel better. Just give them the same legal rights.

CrAz3D

Quote from: dxoigmn on June 16, 2005, 10:46 PM
Quote from: CrAz3D on June 16, 2005, 08:33 PM

That argument is quite frankly bullshit and you know it.

Someone please explain to me why they feel so strongly that marriage should be between a man and woman? Religious reasons? How does the marriage between two men or women infringe upon your rights? Or is just an aesthetic?
How is it bullshit?  If a man believes that he should be able to marry more than 1 woman why shouldn't he be allowed to?  Is it because it is morally wrong?  Hmm, gay marriage is morally wrong...should that not be allowed?

I feel that marriage IS between a man & woman because that is what it is.  I also feel that homo-marriage should be allowed because I figure God can send them to hell if he wants.
(ré-bun-dance)

MyndFyre

Quote from: dxoigmn on June 16, 2005, 10:46 PM
A marriage is a religious ceremony that was dragged into the secular world.  However, religious or not, man-man or woman-woman marriages do not support the advancement of our species.  I do not believe that homosexuality is a genetic condition, and so I believe that if someone is homosexual, he/she got that way on his/her own, and should have to deal with the consequences.

I'm not seeking to punish homosexuals.  Like I said, a marriage is a religious ceremony.  As I also said earlier, I can find no reason that a secular government can prevent same-sex unions.  But I also carefully chose the word "union."
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

warz

Fuck gay marriage. "God made adam and eve not adam and steve!"
But seriously, fuck gay marriage.

dxoigmn

Quote from: CrAz3D on June 17, 2005, 01:25 AM
How is it bullshit?  If a man believes that he should be able to marry more than 1 woman why shouldn't he be allowed to?  Is it because it is morally wrong?  Hmm, gay marriage is morally wrong...should that not be allowed?

Polygamists? Maybe. But goat lovers? Please.

Quote from: MyndFyre on June 17, 2005, 02:51 AM
A marriage is a religious ceremony that was dragged into the secular world.  However, religious or not, man-man or woman-woman marriages do not support the advancement of our species.  I do not believe that homosexuality is a genetic condition, and so I believe that if someone is homosexual, he/she got that way on his/her own, and should have to deal with the consequences.

I'm not seeking to punish homosexuals.  Like I said, a marriage is a religious ceremony.  As I also said earlier, I can find no reason that a secular government can prevent same-sex unions.  But I also carefully chose the word "union."

The advancement of our species is relative. I believe the human population is already horribly overcrowded and we need to start taxing people for having children instead of giving them incentives to create more. Homosexuality is such a great solution to this. They will adopt children instead of creating more which is a good thing. It then follows that homosexuals should be able to marry/unionize/whatever you want to call it so they can benefit in the same manner married couples do.

So now I understand that the debate about marriage is purely an aesthetic thing. Perhaps a move within the government to remove any instance of "marriage" and replace it with "union" would be better. The government has no place meddling in the affairs of the church anyways, and this will allow for same sex unions and people can be married in the church if they so please. Is that a better solution?

QwertyMonster

I voted yes. Its there choice whoever it is (gay, lesbian etc..) if they love each other and want to marry.

Arta

I don't see any difference between preventing gay people from marrying and prevent black people from marrying.

Chew on that.

Blaze

Thats a very good point Arta.  It's very similiar to racism.
Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No