• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Wearing Your Collar Down

Started by Hazard, May 09, 2005, 08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazard

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 11, 2005, 04:45 PM
He was saying how in his school everyone was elitist

No I didn't.

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 11, 2005, 04:45 PMand looked down upon those that weren't as affluent as the rest

No I didn't.

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 11, 2005, 04:45 PMI was saying, since he didn't like that, he'd be better off in public school.

I left public school for worse reasons, such as the education sucking.

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 11, 2005, 04:45 PMIn my school, at least, people are more likely to be mean to you if you are slightly affluent.

Do you live in a poor district? Thats tragic.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

CrAz3D

The county I live used to be in the top 5 of the poorest counties in the nation...you can't get much worse off.  Every group keeps to themselves...the only conflicts between the societical different groups have been football vs. gang cause some gang kid beat up a little brother of a football member...then shit hit the fan...that's all though

EDIT:
In refference to Abercrombie being w/e...it's a style & a statement (sometimes), but not a lifestyle.  The holes look stupid, but it's fashionable, as is elegant gowns are fashionable in high soceity of England & the like
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

hismajesty

Quote from: Hazard on May 11, 2005, 05:04 PM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 11, 2005, 04:45 PM
He was saying how in his school everyone was elitist

No I didn't.

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 11, 2005, 04:45 PMand looked down upon those that weren't as affluent as the rest

No I didn't.

You said something along the lines of "Preps think that they're superior because of their money, and that they're smarter because of their money. Obviously, it's assumed that since they feel that less-affluent people are inferior, that they also look down upon those people. In addition, if they feel that they are of an 'elite group' (hence, superior) due to their money then they are, in essence, elitists. So, yeah, you did. Also, you said that your information was based upon your highschool experience. It's only right to assume that you were talking about your high school, and that's what I assumed.

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 11, 2005, 04:45 PMI was saying, since he didn't like that, he'd be better off in public school.

I left public school for worse reasons, such as the education sucking.

I never questioned your reasons for leaving public school. I don't blame you, I wish I had the countless times my parents asked me too. For some reason I wanted to stay with my friends, I don't talk to any of them anymore.
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 11, 2005, 04:45 PMIn my school, at least, people are more likely to be mean to you if you are slightly affluent.

Do you live in a poor district? Thats tragic.

My whole city is poor, it's a lot of minorities (44% black) and a lot of military (We are home to the worlds larget naval base.)

To quote Wikipedia:

QuoteThe median income for a household in the city is $31,815, and the median income for a family is $36,891. Males have a median income of $25,848 versus $21,907 for females. The per capita income for the city is $17,372. 19.4% of the population and 15.5% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 27.9% of those under the age of 18 and 13.2% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.

Again, I'm not sure how widespread this is, but I've been the target of some comments due to it.

hismajesty

Double post, but unrelated to my former post as it was a debating post.

George Bush, George W. Bush, and John Kerry all popped their collars (W still does, I think) - and they were all preps. Heck, Bush went to Andover, was born in Greenwich, and him and Kerry both were both caught wearing Vineyard Vines ties during the election race. I guess your beloved president is actually someone you hate, a...prep.

Hazard

Dubyah doesn't walk around with his collar popped... in fact I've never seen that picture before.

hismajesty

I said I think. I read it somewhere, but I couldn't find a picture. I guess I was right on everything else I said? At least answer why you don't hate Bush, even though he is no doubt a prep.

CrAz3D

Most to all business people dress 'preppy' I believe

(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

warz

Trust do you not like girls?

Hazard

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 12, 2005, 04:47 PM
I said I think. I read it somewhere, but I couldn't find a picture. I guess I was right on everything else I said? At least answer why you don't hate Bush, even though he is no doubt a prep.

Because of his actions. He simply doesn't act preppy. He doesn't come across that way to me at all. Bush, in his demeanor, reminds me a lot of Reagan. He has that backyard BBQ kind of swagger to him, like he's a person that you could talk to. He doesn't walk around with his striped American Eagle shirt with a popped collar and $300 transparent sunglasses with a cell phone permenantly attached to his head. Preppy kids aren't down to Earth, and thats experience talking.

hismajesty

Quote from: CrAz3D on May 12, 2005, 04:54 PM
Most to all business people dress 'preppy' I believe

No, they don't. They dress in business attire.

Quote from: warz on May 12, 2005, 05:27 PM
Trust do you not like girls?

No, I love them. Though, unlike most I've come across, I want a girl with a bit of class - not one showing off half of her body to anybody who wants to check her out.

Quote from: Hazard on May 12, 2005, 05:36 PM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 12, 2005, 04:47 PM

Because of his actions. He simply doesn't act preppy. He doesn't come across that way to me at all. Bush, in his demeanor, reminds me a lot of Reagan. He has that backyard BBQ kind of swagger to him, like he's a person that you could talk to. He doesn't walk around with his striped American Eagle shirt with a popped collar and $300 transparent sunglasses with a cell phone permenantly attached to his head. Preppy kids aren't down to Earth, and thats experience talking.

I really think you're getting the wrong idea of what a prep is. There's a general definition used by most kids today that doesn't fit what one really is. The whole new-age fake-preps are the ones that go around flaunting their stuff, and wear the trend whore American Eagle/Abercrombie/whatever. One of the whole ideas is to not be all flashy like that.

You have no problem with Bush wearing a $3,000+ tie. (Vineyard Vines ties (extremely preppy!) are ~$68, iirc. However, when you have a custom tie made it starts at 3k, which is where I got that figure.) He's a mature adult now who has an image to maintain. He lives in Crawford now, no longer Greenwich - madras shorts, topsiders, and a pink polo w/ the collar up just wouldn't look right on him now. I'm sure when he's at the country club, he's in perfectly proper preppy golf attire,  however. Besides, look at his wife...that lady defines class.

Hazard

So you're basically defining for me what a prep is? Thats not how I define a prep.

hismajesty

Then at least supply your definition. Most likely you're wrong.

Why did you stop debating me point by point, I'm assuming you agree with me on everything except my definition?

Hazard

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on May 12, 2005, 08:47 PM
Most likely you're wrong.

And what, exactly, are you basing that on? What makes your definition correct?

hismajesty

Seeing as how I'm the only one to establish a definition thus far, mine should be accepted as correct until it's challenged.

CrAz3D

I like this definition most of all:

QuoteNoun (Prep): Comes from identifiying one who goes to a prepratory or "prep" school (typically on the East Coast), or a school with the intent of preparing its students for college (often Ivy League).
Has come to be an label for those who conform to typical teenage behavior, in areas like clothing, school behavior, and sports participation, because preps usually are more ambitious and/or image-conscious than others.
Popular belief is that preps hate nerds/goths/punks/etc, however, generally, preps pay little attention to other "types," and those who hate preps with the most passion are those who were once preps and have recently gone away from their previous behavior, and often people who are posers intent on protecting their alternative-ness.
Prep has become to be nearly synonymous with conformist, to the point where most preps have been in denial of their typecast, and it is seen as an insult in the eyes of many.
Preppy is the adjective form, Preppily is the adverb.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=prep&r=f

Preps still wear Abercrombie slutty stuff, it's the today's-age prep.
(ré-bun-dance)

|