• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Draw your home network!

Started by Archonist, April 05, 2005, 11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrAz3D

Then why is there a cable to them?...are they just on the internet that way w/no local file sharedness?
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

shout

There is a cable, but it does not work. There is nothing that works. I posted about it but apperently it was deleted.

quasi-modo

WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

QwertyMonster

quasi-modo, that meteor coming to the earth will not happen.  :P

But dude, thats gotta be some good detail. I this one is in for a winning of... something.. :D

quasi-modo

WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Mangix

lol haha. but think of the humor. also this is shown somewhere is Stealth's files on cold-chaos.com

Blaze

Quote from: quasi-modo on April 06, 2005, 06:21 PM
http://quasi-ke.servebeer.com/pics/network.gif
As soon as I saw the earth I started laughing and laughing and laughing. Don't stop dishing out stuff like that. :P
Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No

quasi-modo

WAR EAGLE!

Newby

- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

quasi-modo

Why the heck are your networks so damn complicated. You guys are daisy chaining all of this stuff but you are not even using all of the ports on the root router.
WAR EAGLE!

tA-Kane

Yeah... but there's a reason for me. The DSL modem is in the storage room... it splits off and goes to my room (where the servers are located, as wel as my computer), as well as goes downstairs. From my room, it goes from one hub to another hub so that one server and my computer is behind NAT while the other isn't. Downstairs, it goes to a hub where it splits off into two parts of the room -- we figured it'd be a crapload easier to have several hubs instead of dropping 500 feet of ethernet line just so everyone can use one hub.

Quote from: Adron on April 06, 2005, 10:13 AM
Quote from: tA-Kane on April 06, 2005, 12:55 AM
Since I'm also running Windows, I consider myself as requiring to be behind NAT

Isn't there an awful lot of NAT in your network? Doesn't that block off a lot of the usability of LAN functionality - local file sharing and that kind of thing? In most cases, I'd go for setting up NAT at the border between Internet and LAN, not having 3 different NAT:ed subsections on the LAN..
I would be totally into that... perhaps you'd mind sharing some thought?
1) I have a block of 8 static IPs (5 usable).
2) IP#1 is dedicated for the Mac server
3) IP#2 is dedicated for the NetBSD server
4) IP#3 is dedicated for dad's VPN
5) IP#4 is used for the Macs
The biggest reason my mom and I are piggy backing off of the NetBSD IP (via NAT) is because I don't have another router to use the fifth usable IP.
I think a lot of this could be solved a lot easier if I had two main routers (an 8-port for my room, since I plan on eventually bringing the other three RS/6000 machines on the network somehow, and a second 8 port for downstairs), but they would have to support having multiple public IPs, since three of the IPs are already dedicated for specific uses.
The fewest NAT sections I could have without using a crapload of wire would be two, since the first NAT is in my room (upstairs), and the second is pretty much on the opposite end of the house (and downstairs).
Macintosh programmer and enthusiast.
Battle.net Bot Programming: http://www.bash.org/?240059
I can write programs. Can you right them?

http://www.clan-mac.com
http://www.eve-online.com

quasi-modo

That is why we went wireless... we did not feel like stringing up cable to go to the other side of the house (diagonally). My mom got a laptop after we went wireless.
WAR EAGLE!

tA-Kane

I've not had very good results with any form of wireless. I don't know if it's the range or the layout of the house or what, but it doesn't work well for my setup. My mom is the only one that still uses it, and she still gets drops every few hours or so.

Besides, I would take wired over wireless anyday, just for the added security.
Macintosh programmer and enthusiast.
Battle.net Bot Programming: http://www.bash.org/?240059
I can write programs. Can you right them?

http://www.clan-mac.com
http://www.eve-online.com

hismajesty

My moms computer is connected wirelessly to the router in my room, and she gets drops every few minutes that last anywhere from seconds to days. Cox said the router should not be above the other computer, but it's really not feasible to move it.

Newby

Quote from: quasi-modo on April 06, 2005, 08:43 PM
Why the heck are your networks so damn complicated. You guys are daisy chaining all of this stuff but you are not even using all of the ports on the root router.
The computers are upstairs. The router is downstairs. There's no way I'm drilling a hole in the ground. :P
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

|