• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Draw your home network!

Started by Archonist, April 05, 2005, 11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archonist

Draw your home network! Inspired by boredom.

iago

I probably should have used visio or some equivalent, because I suck at Gimp (I'm still learning :)) but here is what I got:

<edit> The devices shown in blue are the ones that are generally hooked up to the KVM Switch on my desk.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

hismajesty

Wow, mine sucks. The one on a wireless connection only gets service like 1/4 of the time, and I've got a ton of computers in my attic but I've taken them apart/broken parts/etc.) All but one worked when I got them, too. Heh..I suck. :(

Blaze

:P

I forgot to put my cable modem in, but it comes before the router and after the www. :P
Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No

Joe[x86]

ph33r ascii

'Phone ----------------------------
'                                  |
'                                  |
'                     -------------------------
'                     |                       |
'                     |                       |
'     Indian  <--  JoeMomma                Bro's Comp
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

CrAz3D

rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Forged

Modem - - - - - Router - - - - - My Computer - - - - - Wireless Router
                                                                                 ^
                                                                             ^       ^
                                                              Brothers Computer - - - - - Parent's Computer

^
(my neighbor using my wireless)

QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

tA-Kane

It's quite a large home network, in my opinion, consisting of 6 hubs/routers for 7 machines and 1 printer. This doesn't show the computers which are *not* on the network, which are three more IBM RS/6000 running AIX 4, another Mac OS 8.6 machine, and a couple of old 286s.

I have a block of 8 IP addresses (5 usable). 2 are being used downstairs... one points to the Mac router (NetGear 8-Port), and the other holds my dad's computer... he has his own IP address for VPN and stuff. What you might think is the wierdest thing is how I've got it set up in my room. Since the only wireless router we have is my D-Link, and my mom can only connect via a wireless (her computer is off in her own little space, which would have been quite awkward to simply drop an ethernet line there...), I have to connect her to that. Since I'm also running Windows, I consider myself as requiring to be behind NAT (puts a little more effort on finding me, does it not?). But, I've had trouble when running NAT and trying to access myself via the public IP's domain name when using the D-Link, so I use the Linksys. I've put the Mac server over on the D-Link on the LAN side with the internet coming in on the LAN side as well. The D-Link's internet port plugs into the Linksys's LAN port, so that mom can access the internet. Without it, D-Link would go "wtf she's on the LAN but there can't be internet access on the LAN side so she can't get out because D-Link is stupid!". Kinda crazy, but it works.
Macintosh programmer and enthusiast.
Battle.net Bot Programming: http://www.bash.org/?240059
I can write programs. Can you right them?

http://www.clan-mac.com
http://www.eve-online.com

CrAz3D

& the best goes to who?

I move either UserLoser, Blaze, or myself...I believe we put forth the most effort
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

iago

I like Forged, or possible Joe.  Ascii kicks ass :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

SNiFFeR

I liked Userlosers detail.

I really dont feel like drawing mine out because it's so simple. It consists of 1 Modem and 1 Wireless router, all 7 of my computers get internet from it.  Game over.

QwertyMonster

LinkSys
                                              -
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Bro + Mine pc                          -                                 Mums Laptop
                                               -
                                               -
                                               -
                                               -
                                           Other brothes pc

Adron

Quote from: tA-Kane on April 06, 2005, 12:55 AM
Since I'm also running Windows, I consider myself as requiring to be behind NAT

Isn't there an awful lot of NAT in your network? Doesn't that block off a lot of the usability of LAN functionality - local file sharing and that kind of thing? In most cases, I'd go for setting up NAT at the border between Internet and LAN, not having 3 different NAT:ed subsections on the LAN..

shout

The red x's mean no networking.