• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

"Peaceful" Protestors, Not So Peaceful

Started by hismajesty, January 22, 2005, 10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Mephisto

And it was all with the popular vote, not the electorial votes.  Quasi, I think I understand where you're coming from, but it doesn't particuarily matter.  You're concerned that because California and New York have such large populations that a large portion of votes would come from those two states hence "controlling" the vote.  However, they have a dominating number of electorial votes so it doesn't really matter IMO.

Arta

Why shouldn't states with more people have more of a say?

Mephisto

In the electorial college they do, because it's proportionate to population, so why does the electorial college even matter anymore especially considering every other vote is based on the popular and that the whole reason for the electorial college is because they didn't trust citizens to vote for the proper presidential candidate which seems to no longer be an issue today.

CrAz3D

I do feel that the electoral college is ALMOST a complete waste, we shoud do away with it & then enforce a competency exam!
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Arta

Quote from: Mephisto on January 25, 2005, 02:02 PM
In the electorial college they do, because it's proportionate to population

Not really. Smaller states have fewer votes obviously, but they have more votes per person than larger ones. That's the whole point. Seems rather undemocratic really.

Hazard

Quote from: Arta[vL] on January 25, 2005, 11:20 AM

Because its not the system agreed upon by the Union. Small states must have some sort of equal representation, otherwise the larger states would dominate the smaller states. However, larger states must have a proportional representation  in legislature. This is how the House and the Senate came about. To satisfy small states, all are equal in the Senate. To satisfy large states, they have more seats in the House.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Hazard

dxo, what you said was that states that are more wealthy than other should be able to have a larger voice. Thats like saying that rich people should have a LEGAL basis for having more say so in politics than poor people.

Also, of course Democrats support a straight % election. Registered Democrats in this country outnumber registered Republicans by nearly 6%. The entire point of the electoral college is to prevent fiascos like the electoin of 1800 from happening again. It is also to give a portion of the electing power to the states, remember the New Jersey plan?

The only people who bitch about the electoral college are 2000 Gore supporters who lost fair and square, as had happend 4 times in the past, and still can't get over it.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Mephisto on January 24, 2005, 11:15 PM
My understanding is that the electorial college applys only to the presidential election, so I don't understand why you'd say New York and California would control the nation...Every state has electorial votes proportionate to their population, so what's wrong with getting rid of the electorial college when the popular vote is just fine.  Your statement makes no sense (at least to my understanding).  There are republicans in those democratic states, and in California it's practically 50/50.
Because without it politicians would drop their drawers to the two big states because they would have the most voters there. This way the politicians cannot just promise to give la, new york, san fran, san diego, new stadiums and get elected.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

quasi-modo

Because the large states could really screw all of the other states.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

dxoigmn

Quote from: quasi-modo on January 25, 2005, 03:04 PM

So ironic that you argue for capitalism where the large businesses really screw all of the smaller businesses.

Quote from: Hazard on January 25, 2005, 02:53 PM
dxo, what you said was that states that are more wealthy than other should be able to have a larger voice. Thats like saying that rich people should have a LEGAL basis for having more say so in politics than poor people.

If I had a penny everytime someone pulled a "that's like saying" then I'd be a rich man by now. 

Hazard

And by your own argument your vote would be worth more than a poorer persons because you contribute more money into the economy.

quasi-modo

Quote from: dxoigmn on January 25, 2005, 05:56 PM
Quote from: quasi-modo on January 25, 2005, 03:04 PM

So ironic that you argue for capitalism where the large businesses really screw all of the smaller businesses.

States != Companies. There is really no similarity.
WAR EAGLE!

MyndFyre

Quote from: Arta[vL] on January 25, 2005, 02:37 PM
Quote from: Mephisto on January 25, 2005, 02:02 PM
In the electorial college they do, because it's proportionate to population

Not really. Smaller states have fewer votes obviously, but they have more votes per person than larger ones. That's the whole point. Seems rather undemocratic really.

The difference is somewhat trivial, though.  I don't recall what the actual number is, but the number of Representatives per state is determined by population; considering that constitutes 436 of the 538 electoral college seats (81%), I would say that the inclusion of the Senate seats gives the smaller states SOME kind of representation.  (The numbers are based on 435 Representatives, 100 Senators, and 1 Representative/2 Senate - equivalent votes from DC).

Liberal theory supports preventing "tyranny of the majority."
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Stealth

Another important thing to note is that, had the 2000 election occurred under a nationwide-popular-vote system, a Florida-like situation could be duplicated across the entire country instead of just in a specific state or community, which would be quite a mess.
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

Forged

I could only imagine the margin of error in a staight popular election would be quite high.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

|