• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

"Peaceful" Protestors, Not So Peaceful

Started by hismajesty, January 22, 2005, 10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Hazard

Does the election of 1800 mean anything to you?

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Hazard

And because you go to a University it makes you knowledgable on the electoral system?

dxoigmn

Quote from: Hazard on January 27, 2005, 03:16 PM
Does the election of 1800 mean anything to you?

Yes, it was the whole reason the 12th amendment came about and later ratified in 1804!

Quote from: Hazard on January 27, 2005, 03:17 PM
And because you go to a University it makes you knowledgable on the electoral system?

I don't go to a university.

Hazard

You do realize that college = university correct?

Hazard

All of the following is form http://www.eac.gov/docs/eleccoll.pdf the authors being real experts on the electoral college. Read it and learn something dxo.

The electoral college:
-Contributes to the cohesiveness of the country by requiring a fair distribution of popular support to be elected
-Enhances the status of minority interests
-Contributes to the political stability of the nation by encouraging a two party system and
-Mantains a federal system of government and representation.

Let me remind all of you who have lost sight of the truth that the United States is not a direct democracy. It is, in fact, a representative democracy (I view it as a constitutional Republic, but that is another issue). The fact is, in a representative democracy, the Electoral College is a perfect fit.

dxoigmn

Quote from: Hazard on January 27, 2005, 03:46 PM
All of the following is form http://www.eac.gov/docs/eleccoll.pdf the authors being real experts on the electoral college. Read it and learn something dxo.

The electoral college:
-Contributes to the cohesiveness of the country by requiring a fair distribution of popular support to be elected
-Enhances the status of minority interests
-Contributes to the political stability of the nation by encouraging a two party system and
-Mantains a federal system of government and representation.

Let me remind all of you who have lost sight of the truth that the United States is not a direct democracy. It is, in fact, a representative democracy (I view it as a constitutional Republic, but that is another issue). The fact is, in a representative democracy, the Electoral College is a perfect fit.

Funny thing about that document is that I have posted it before to explain to quasi (or someone else) why and how the electoral college was setup.  It also outlines several of my arguments quite clearly and even explains how the 12th amendment has affected the electoral college (which I hope you have been set straight about).

However, what I have a problem with is your conservative stance.  Typically, conservatives are concerned with interpretation, specifically in the manner the fouding fathers wanted it to be interpreted.  You seem conservative, at least self-proclaimed, yet you support a two-party system?  It was the founding fathers belief that political parties were evil and would go against the very fabric that America was built upon. 

As for fair distribution, there will always be red states and blue states.  There is no way you're ever going to get a fair distribution.  And minority interests, I would argue that a direct election would in fact enhance minority interests moreso than the electoral college does.  The other arugements are fruitless because a) people not the states should elect who they want to represent them and abolishing the electoral college would not take any rights away from the states b) a two-party system is inherently bad.

Quote from: Hazard on January 27, 2005, 03:38 PM
You do realize that college = university correct?

Actually, at Dartmouth we pride ourselves on not being a University.  Typically Universities are associated with large classes, research and graduate programs.  Dartmouth is an undergraduate institution, a college, that is focused on it's students and our interests.

Hazard

Don't argue with me, argue with the professionals who have been envolved in the system for decades since you seem to have all the answers for them.

CrAz3D

Is Dartmouth fun?... It seems like the ppl that go there might be a little stuck up.

But yeah, I do agree that colleges aren't universities.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=college
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=university
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

dxoigmn

Quote from: CrAz3D on January 27, 2005, 06:35 PM
Is Dartmouth fun?... It seems like the ppl that go there might be a little stuck up.

Some of the kids here are stuck up and that sucks because they tend to be wound up in their own ways.  But for the most part a lot of them are more open minded than closed minded.  Best and smallest ivy school!

quasi-modo

Quote from: dxoigmn on January 27, 2005, 04:11 PM

Funny thing about that document is that I have posted it before to explain to quasi (or someone else) why and how the electoral college was setup.  It also outlines several of my arguments quite clearly and even explains how the 12th amendment has affected the electoral college (which I hope you have been set straight about).
I really do not need it explained to me, I know why it exists and the fac thtat it is still neccessary.

QuoteHowever, what I have a problem with is your conservative stance.  Typically, conservatives are concerned with interpretation, specifically in the manner the fouding fathers wanted it to be interpreted.  You seem conservative, at least self-proclaimed, yet you support a two-party system?  It was the founding fathers belief that political parties were evil and would go against the very fabric that America was built upon. 
Washington did not want parties, but lets look a few years beyond him, parties formed pretty quirkly. There is a clear political spectrum that forms when you talk about Madison, Jefferson, Adams (either one), and some other early presidents. I would consider these people to be founding fathers too.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Hazard

Sure, best of the Ivys... that says a lot.

CrAz3D

Dartmouth is a WAY super good school.  Girl I know, last year's valedictorian, goes there now...I think she likes it alot.
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

quasi-modo

Quote from: CrAz3D on January 27, 2005, 07:23 PM
Dartmouth is a WAY super good school.  Girl I know, last year's valedictorian, goes there now...I think she likes it alot.
I should hope so. Otherwise you are not getting what you pay for it (or what your scolarship pays for it, whatever).
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

quasi-modo

WAR EAGLE!

CrAz3D

Quote from: quasi-modo on January 27, 2005, 07:24 PM
Quote from: CrAz3D on January 27, 2005, 07:23 PM
I should hope so. Otherwise you are not getting what you pay for it (or what your scolarship pays for it, whatever).
Word, it is WAY FREAKIN expensive from what I remember.
(ré-bun-dance)

|