• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

job salaries

Started by tenbytes, January 06, 2005, 01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenbytes

what do people with computer engineer degrees make having no experience? 5 years experience?

and would having a business degree increase it? i'm considering dual majoring in computer engineering and business, not for the money, but I would like to have the condo and benz.  ;D

thanks.

iago

I was working a student "IT Security" job, and was making $18.96.  That's no experience, but a bit of a different field then you're asking about.

But remember, it's not about the money, it's about doing what you enjoy :P
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

tenbytes

Quote from: iago on January 06, 2005, 04:56 PM

sure, if you grew up rich or weathly :P

iago

Quote from: tenbytes on January 06, 2005, 05:05 PM
Quote from: iago on January 06, 2005, 04:56 PM

sure, if you grew up rich or weathly :P

I didn't.  I didn't grow up poor, but I have to work and buy most stuff for myself.  But given two jobs where one pays decently more but looks crappy, I'd pick the job I'd enjoy, easily.  It was a coincidence that the job I wanted (Security) was the highest paying student job this term :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

quasi-modo

I am going into computer engineering, and I believe the starting pay was around 50,000. I dont know what it is after five years, but it is only going to go up! I would imagine your pay would be almost 6 figures if you have experience.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Grok

Quote from: iago on January 06, 2005, 05:23 PM
I didn't.  I didn't grow up poor, but I have to work and buy most stuff for myself.  But given two jobs where one pays decently more but looks crappy, I'd pick the job I'd enjoy, easily.  It was a coincidence that the job I wanted (Security) was the highest paying student job this term :)

Ah, different philosophies lead to different opinions.  The advice I give people is take the higher paying job that you dislike, make a lot of money, and go home to spend it on things you really love.

The "starving artist" is a perfect example.  He loves what he does, but cannot afford to eat.  Meanwhile, the CEO of a Fortune 500 company has enough money to spend on all the art supplies he wants, while eating fresh lobster, even flying to Maine for dinner.

tenbytes

Quote from: Grok on January 11, 2005, 03:10 PM
Ah, different philosophies lead to different opinions.  The advice I give people is take the higher paying job that you dislike, make a lot of money, and go home to spend it on things you really love.

The "starving artist" is a perfect example.  He loves what he does, but cannot afford to eat.  Meanwhile, the CEO of a Fortune 500 company has enough money to spend on all the art supplies he wants, while eating fresh lobster, even flying to Maine for dinner.

yup  ;D

tA-Kane

Quote from: Grok on January 11, 2005, 03:10 PM
Quote from: iago on January 06, 2005, 05:23 PM

Ah, different philosophies lead to different opinions. The advice I give people is take the higher paying job that you dislike, make a lot of money, and go home to spend it on things you really love.

The "starving artist" is a perfect example. He loves what he does, but cannot afford to eat. Meanwhile, the CEO of a Fortune 500 company has enough money to spend on all the art supplies he wants, while eating fresh lobster, even flying to Maine for dinner.
The problem with that CEO is that in order to make all that money, he's likely not able to spend as much time with family. So even though he flies to Maine to eat fresh lobster, dinner isn't a long time to spend with your family.
Macintosh programmer and enthusiast.
Battle.net Bot Programming: http://www.bash.org/?240059
I can write programs. Can you right them?

http://www.clan-mac.com
http://www.eve-online.com

dxoigmn

Quote from: tA-Kane on January 11, 2005, 06:53 PM
The problem with that CEO is that in order to make all that money, he's likely not able to spend as much time with family. So even though he flies to Maine to eat fresh lobster, dinner isn't a long time to spend with your family.

If he has a family, and at least he can eat.

tA-Kane

What would be better: a high-paying job without a family or a low-paying job with a family?

Hint: if you answered the first of the two, you are a greedy bastard.
Macintosh programmer and enthusiast.
Battle.net Bot Programming: http://www.bash.org/?240059
I can write programs. Can you right them?

http://www.clan-mac.com
http://www.eve-online.com

R.a.B.B.i.T

Or maybe your whole family was brutally murdered and they are no longer alive (and at this point you had money already).

muert0

Quote from: tA-Kane on January 11, 2005, 07:04 PM
What would be better: a high-paying job without a family or a low-paying job with a family?

Hint: if you answered the first of the two, you are a greedy bastard.
It's quite possible to have a high paying job with a family.
To lazy for slackware.

j0k3r

How about a well paying job with a family? I plan to live on my own until around 30, working on my job and whatever, then settling in with a family when I'm well enough off.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Grok

Bad assumption to imply or hint that a well-paid person is not a familiy person, or does not have time for their family.  You're simply looking for a reason to take a low-paying job that you love rather than a higher-paying job you despise.  But I'll go with you on this and say --- if you loved that family, you would martyr yourself and take the higher-paying job to give your family a nicer lifestyle.  Since you picked the job you loved with low pay, you're a selfish bastard.

Mephisto

Good one Grok.  :)

At any rate, I've been hearing that it's becoming very difficult to get a decent job in the computer industry these days; especially with the increasing competition over the years and into the future.