• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Tolerance

Started by Banana fanna fo fanna, December 09, 2004, 05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazard

Are you having trouble with your critical analysis in the English language again Adron?

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Adron

Quote from: Hazard on December 10, 2004, 02:50 PM
Are you having trouble with your critical analysis in the English language again Adron?

Not sure... To me, "convictions" is a bad thing. It's related to stubbornness, arrogance, zealotry and an unwillingness to admit that you're wrong.

DOOM

When I looked up "convictions" at dictionary.com, I found: A fixed or strong belief. See Synonyms at opinion.  I also found: The state of being convinced. See Synonyms at certainty.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=convictions

So, I followed their link to the definition of opinion.
The main definition of opinion: A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: "The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion" (Elizabeth Drew).

And for certainty:
The fact, quality, or state of being certain: the certainty of death.

So, while in some cases convictions could be "bad," the technical use of the word (ie: being certain in your opinion) doesn't carry a bad connotation.

hismajesty

Quote from: Adron on December 10, 2004, 03:07 PM
Quote from: Hazard on December 10, 2004, 02:50 PM

Not sure... To me, "convictions" is a bad thing. It's related to stubbornness, arrogance, zealotry and an unwillingness to admit that you're wrong.

I have a strong beleif that you live in Sweden, does that make me arrogant?

DOOM

Adron

Quote from: DOOM on December 10, 2004, 03:29 PM
So, I followed their link to the definition of opinion.
The main definition of opinion: A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: "The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion" (Elizabeth Drew).

So, while in some cases convictions could be "bad," the technical use of the word (ie: being certain in your opinion) doesn't carry a bad connotation.

Ah, but to me it still seems to have a bad connotation. Being certain about something you don't have any substantiation for, no positive knowledge or proof - how can that be a positive thing?

quasi-modo

I believe that we all sit on plates. Massive plates called the teptonic plates. Can I prove this? No, it is a theory? Because I can't prove it is it bad? I believe the earth's core is made of Iron also, but I have no way of proving it. I believe that a man named Jesus died for me and that I should accept that fact and live a moral life, is that a bad thing? Sorry about being the first one to bring up religion, but you know it was going to head that way.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Tuberload

Quote from: quasi-modo on December 11, 2004, 04:07 PM
I believe that we all sit on plates. Massive plates called the teptonic plates. Can I prove this? No, it is a theory? Because I can't prove it is it bad? I believe the earth's core is made of Iron also, but I have no way of proving it. I believe that a man named Jesus died for me and that I should accept that fact and live a moral life, is that a bad thing? Sorry about being the first one to bring up religion, but you know it was going to head that way.

Yes we all knew it would head that way because we all knew that you would bring it up.
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

quasi-modo

Quote from: Tuberload on December 11, 2004, 05:22 PM

Yes we all knew it would head that way because we all knew that you would bring it up.
Yes, Because I am definitely the one who always starts hinting about religion.  ::)
Quote from: Adron on December 11, 2004, 09:30 AM
Ah, but to me it still seems to have a bad connotation. Being certain about something you don't have any substantiation for, no positive knowledge or proof - how can that be a positive thing?
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Tuberload

Quote from: quasi-modo on December 11, 2004, 05:36 PM

Yes, Because I am definitely the one who always starts hinting about religion.  ::)

I never said anythng about hinting. Please re-read my post and roll your little smiley face eyes in another direction.
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

quasi-modo

Quote from: Tuberload on December 11, 2004, 09:39 PM

I never said anythng about hinting. Please re-read my post and roll your little smiley face eyes in another direction.
It does not matter if you said hinting or not, everything is tip toeing around it so I came out and said it. Its pretty lucid, can you see my point? PS: When have I ever started a debate about religion? Its generally a forum liberal who does and I end up acting as an appologetic and defend christianity. So I am going to keep the eyes rolling right in your direction. Back to the topic at hand?
WAR EAGLE!

Tuberload

Quote from: quasi-modo on December 11, 2004, 10:01 PM

It does not matter if you said hinting or not, everything is tip toeing around it so I came out and said it. Its pretty lucid, can you see my point? PS: When have I ever started a debate about religion? Its generally a forum liberal who does and I end up acting as an appologetic and defend christianity. So I am going to keep the eyes rolling right in your direction. Back to the topic at hand?

Perhaps in your own little head everyone is hinting towards religion, but in this actual reality you seem to be the one who brings it up the most. I would rather listen to one of the forum liberals rant and rave about gay marriage and the like all day long if I didn't have to hear you, and others like you, spit out your broken record rhetoric.

I also find it funny that you're asking me if I see your point. Until you show even the slightest ability to understand another's point of view, I will just continue to ignore yours. Have a nice day, and may the enlightenment gods be kinder to you in the future.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Tuberload on December 11, 2004, 10:13 PM
Quote from: quasi-modo on December 11, 2004, 10:01 PM

Perhaps in your own little head everyone is hinting towards religion, but in this actual reality you seem to be the one who brings it up the most. I would rather listen to one of the forum liberals rant and rave about gay marriage and the like all day long if I didn't have to hear you, and others like you, spit out your broken record rhetoric.

I also find it funny that you're asking me if I see your point. Until you show even the slightest ability to understand another's point of view, I will just continue to ignore yours. Have a nice day, and may the enlightenment gods be kinder to you in the future.

Ok wow, you couldn't have read that whole quote by Adron that I posted. Or you would see the whole it is bad to believe in something you cant prove point that he was making. Thus he is saying religion is a bad thing and we are talking about convictions. Did you miss that?

You are very dense. I never said anything about point of view (this isn't about me putting myself in your shoes), I said I have a point. You fail to acknowlege that, maybe because you do not want to admit that I am right about it, and you criticize me. Realize that I provide a counterpoint. There are two sides of an argument and I am on the side that I guess you just do not prefer, the side the defends religion. Quit pissing and moaning and stop being so damn dense. Just because I am on the side of the argument that you do not like does not mean I am the guy who starts the religion threads. Just because I choose to defend the side I am on even if no one else is there does not mean I start the thread off.
WAR EAGLE!

Arta

Quote from: Hazard on December 09, 2004, 07:46 PM
Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions. --Gilbert K. Chesterton

Enough said.

Oh, god, that's just such crap. Was Gilbert K. Chesterton as big a bigot as that quote would suggest?

DOOM

So you're going to stand by your convictions and maintain that it has a bad connotation? :)

|