• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Liberal Commits Suicide

Started by hismajesty, November 07, 2004, 05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kp

Quote from: Forged on November 07, 2004, 10:49 PMDon't like gay marriage?

If you'd followed the discussion on this, you'd realize that the issue runs much deeper than just same-sex marriage.  Specifically, if such is permitted, then other currently "unusual" configurations can (and likely will) cite it as precedent for their own legalization.  Consider polygamists, polyandrists, etc.  Also consider that if marriage is offered to homosexuals, straight couples may seek civil unions in place of a full marriage.  I've heard some arguments asserting that civil unions are a bad idea to offer in general, because they're so much easier to dissolve and thus there is little incentive for the participants to work out problems, when they can quickly and easily dissolve the bond at the drop of a hat.  I don't necessarily agree (or disagree) with the arguments on either side, as I haven't had time to fully consider them.  However, I suggest you give the issue deeper thought as well.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Newby

- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Forged

Quote from: Kp on November 07, 2004, 11:15 PM
Quote from: Forged on November 07, 2004, 10:49 PMDon't like gay marriage?

If you'd followed the discussion on this, you'd realize that the issue runs much deeper than just same-sex marriage.  Specifically, if such is permitted, then other currently "unusual" configurations can (and likely will) cite it as precedent for their own legalization.  Consider polygamists, polyandrists, etc.  Also consider that if marriage is offered to homosexuals, straight couples may seek civil unions in place of a full marriage.  I've heard some arguments asserting that civil unions are a bad idea to offer in general, because they're so much easier to dissolve and thus there is little incentive for the participants to work out problems, when they can quickly and easily dissolve the bond at the drop of a hat.  I don't necessarily agree (or disagree) with the arguments on either side, as I haven't had time to fully consider them.  However, I suggest you give the issue deeper thought as well.

I am against goverment marriage in general, I think that they should issues civil unions to all.  If people want a church marriage too that is their own purogative.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

dxoigmn

Quote from: quasi-modo on November 07, 2004, 08:22 PM
Quote from: Vicious on November 07, 2004, 07:11 PM
It shows how strongly some people disapprove of the monkey president. I hope he gets assassinated.
I hope you get in trouble for making comments like this some day.

Jigsaw made similar comments but you did not protest in that situation.

dxoigmn

Hitmen

Quote from: dxoigmn on November 08, 2004, 12:03 AM
Quote from: Hitmen on November 07, 2004, 11:07 PM
It shows how strongly some people disapprove of the monkey president. I hope he gets assassinated.
I hope the president gets shot in the face, and then raped in the hole by john kerry, while al gore takes a shit on him.

There are limits to freedom of speech....
Yes, but that sure as hell shouldn't be one of them. He just says he hopes the president gets assassinated. So what? He doesn't like the president. It may be a sick wish, but it's sure not a violation of free speech to share it with others. It's not like he said "I'm going to assassinate the president" or "I'm going to hire someone to assassinate the president".

hismajesty

Freedom of Speech is limited if you have an intent to harm a person physically/emotionally.

Hitmen

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on November 08, 2004, 05:58 AM
Freedom of Speech is limited if you have an intent to harm a person physically/emotionally.
I see no intent in his statement.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Forged on November 07, 2004, 11:44 PM
I am against goverment marriage in general, I think that they should issues civil unions to all.  If people want a church marriage too that is their own purogative.

I've heard that argument, too, but government needs to be able to draw the line.

Recently in Utah (I know because the area I live in is Mormon-ville) a radical Mormon group was recently busted for committing polygamy, which included a thirteen- and a fourteen-year old girl (who was with the guy).  There are good reasons that marraige at that age is not legal (psychological trauma, potential pregnancy, inability to raise a child or provide for a family) and also why polygamy in general is not legal (inability to support an extremely large family comes to mind).

There are certain things that the government must define; it is part of your socialization and world view.  Whether or not you agree with it is a different story, and in the States you have the right and the prerogative (note that THIS is the correct spelling, not "purogative") to attempt to convince people to change it.

The government just can't take no stand at all.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Forged

QuoteThe government just can't take no stand at all.

Why is a desicion between two consenting adults about how they intend on spending their life an issue of the state.

Polygamy is a complicated issue I really can't argue on.

Some guy marrying his dog is out because the dog can not give consent

Incest is out because of the negative effects.

A man marrying a 14 year old is out because the 14 year old can not give legal consent

Other than that I don't see how marriage is any of the states buisness.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

quasi-modo

Quote from: Hitmen on November 07, 2004, 11:07 PM
I hope the president gets shot in the face, and then raped in the hole by john kerry, while al gore takes a shit on him.
If your comments present a clear and present danger you are not going to have free speech. Also, I was not specifically talking about the law, someone could also just beat your ass.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

quasi-modo

Quote from: dxoigmn on November 08, 2004, 12:01 AM

Jigsaw made similar comments but you did not protest in that situation.
I probably didn't see them.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

MyndFyre

The original story reminds me of an episode of M*A*S*H, where they had Col. Flagg from the CIA.  He said he was "sent to break up the Penicillan ring, and [he had] written permission to die if necessary."

Hawkeye responded, "If we had more men like you, we'd have less men like you."  :)
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Kp

Quote from: Forged on November 08, 2004, 08:52 PMWhy is a desicion between two consenting adults about how they intend on spending their life an issue of the state.

Polygamy is a complicated issue I really can't argue on.

Some guy marrying his dog is out because the dog can not give consent

Incest is out because of the negative effects.

A man marrying a 14 year old is out because the 14 year old can not give legal consent

Other than that I don't see how marriage is any of the states buisness.

Just so we're all clear about where you stand...
You can't/won't address the most complicated issue (polygamy).  You feel the state should prevent inter-species marriages, incest (which does not require marriage, btw), and under-age marriages, and that otherwise the state should stay out of it?  Does this not seem a little bit silly, to say the state should step in and forbid these cases, and otherwise keep its nose out of things?  If you're going to bring the govt. in at all, it's going to get involved in all the aspects, not just blocking a few cases- that's how things usually go.  Besides, if the state stays out of marriage aside from those cases, what's to stop "consenting" (and I use this loosely since some parties may not be of legal status to consent in a legally binding way) individuals from setting up one of those cases and just not mentioning it to the state at all?  If the state isn't involved in marriages in general, these exceptional cases will have just as much documentation as more legitimate unions -- none at all.

I respect your position that the state shouldn't be involved, but you seem to be arguing for it both to be involved and not to be involved, which is at best a mess and at worst a contradiction.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

hismajesty

It is a contradiction.

I really don't care about gays being married, I just don't want to go be there when it happens or see them making out in public places. Whether or not they're married they're still going to commit homosexual acts. The reason I stand against gay marriage is because of the effects that will result. Under the Establishment Clause of the US Constitution the goverment isn't allowed to promote/deny a religion. If you permit gay marriage, you'll not be able to deny any other form of marriage that may be considered less than normal just like you can't deny a religion because it's less than normal.

|