• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

ChannelOne.com Mock Teen Vote 2004

Started by Mephisto, October 17, 2004, 09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muert0

Quote from: Mephisto on October 18, 2004, 08:38 PM
Muerto, your comment is highly debatable.
Debate it then.  Give me one good reason why someone who isn't old enough or mature enough to provide their own housing and take care of themselves without someone else giving them the money to live should be allowed to make adult decisions.
To lazy for slackware.

Mephisto

Because I don't agree that the ability to take care of yourself in the real world is grounds to determine whether the person is mature enough to vote.  Besides that, it's mostly laws that are already set for people under 18 that prevent them from being able to be on their own in the real world.  But there's also people I'm sure who are capable of taking care of themselves by age 16 who have a job, car, etc. who might otherwise emancipate themselves.  I believe people who are minors should have a right to vote providing they prove that they are knowledgable enough to be able to vote (as Trust suggested), but I believe that should apply to every citizen, not just minors, but that would be unconstitutional as peof mentioned.

Forged

Quote from: Hazard on October 18, 2004, 05:16 PM
Quote from: Forged on October 18, 2004, 04:54 PM
Quote from: muert0 on October 18, 2004, 03:11 PM
It should stay 18 or be raised... anyone who can't support themselves and has never lived in the real world shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Anyone who is old enough to be drafted should be allowed to vote.

Nobody can be drafted, so should nobody be allowed to vote?

If the goverment where to reinstate the draft for a war we could be.  The bottom line really is if you are old enough to legally be able to die for your country you should be allowed to vote on who you are dying for.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

Hazard

Quote from: muert0 on October 18, 2004, 10:46 PM
Quote from: Mephisto on October 18, 2004, 08:38 PM
Muerto, your comment is highly debatable.
Debate it then.  Give me one good reason why someone who isn't old enough or mature enough to provide their own housing and take care of themselves without someone else giving them the money to live should be allowed to make adult decisions.

I'd like to start out by saying that I do not want to change the current voting age.

Your argument holds no water muert0. There are plenty of people over the age of 18 who are not mature enough to provide for themselves, should they be allowed to vote? Maturity and age are not neccessarily linked. What you're basically saying is that only the self-sufficent should be allowed to vote, and thats just ridiculous. I know plenty of people my age who are capable of making adult decisions, and plenty that are not. I know plenty of 35 year olds who are mature enough to make adult decsions, and plenty who are not. You have to base it on something concrete. Maturity is not the issue, because different people mature at different rates.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Hazard

Quote from: Forged on October 19, 2004, 01:44 AM
It should stay 18 or be raised... anyone who can't support themselves and has never lived in the real world shouldn't be allowed to vote.

If the goverment where to reinstate the draft for a war we could be.  The bottom line really is if you are old enough to legally be able to die for your country you should be allowed to vote on who you are dying for.

First off, there will not be another draft. It will not be re-instated unless World War III breaks out and all hell breaks loose. On top of that, the draft age would almost certainly be 18, as you cannot be drafted and taken out of High School.

Forged

Quote from: Hazard on October 19, 2004, 06:28 AM
Quote from: Forged on October 19, 2004, 01:44 AM

First off, there will not be another draft. It will not be re-instated unless World War III breaks out and all hell breaks loose. On top of that, the draft age would almost certainly be 18, as you cannot be drafted and taken out of High School.

Did I ever say anything diffrent?  No...  I just said if you were old enough to be theoretically drafted (@ 18) you should be allowed to vote.  Wasn't that why the age was lowered in the first place?

quasi-modo

Personally I am all for a sort of literacy test. But back in the day that was a Jim Crow law so no one would touch it with a 10 foot pole. But I think some sort of test would be nice... it is nice on paper atleast. I can see how it would never work for many reasons though  :-\
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Mephisto

Well, back in the days when these laws were set a lot of people were probably illiterate anyways.  ;)

quasi-modo

Quote from: Mephisto on October 19, 2004, 07:07 PM
Well, back in the days when these laws were set a lot of people were probably illiterate anyways.  ;)
That was why they had the grandfather clause so all the whities could vote. But I mean even if you did a test to see if the voter knew about the issues, the questions could be biased in such a way the more uneducated repulicans or uneducated democrats would fail.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Forged

QuoteBut I think some sort of test would be nice
Yeah lets just piss on the constituion.

Hazard

Quote from: Forged on October 19, 2004, 08:22 PM

The mentally incompetant are not premitted to vote.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Forged on October 19, 2004, 08:22 PM
Fortunatly those that would vote for a candidate because he has the same color skin as they do or the candidate has nice hair do not have the worlds best turn out record.
WAR EAGLE!

CrAz3D

rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Hazard

|