Previous topic - Next topic

Who will or would you vote for?

Bush
Kerry
Nobody, or third party

Hazard

Quote from: dxoigmn on October 21, 2004, 10:29 PM
Quote from: Hazard on October 21, 2004, 08:11 PM
I know plenty of people of foreign decent who don't think that and have told me its not the popular sentiment.

Plenty of people of foreign decent...who are American!  How about someone not an American?

A Lebonese man, a British student at my school who just moved here, a number of Israelis, a Polish family across the street from me...

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: Arta[vL] on October 22, 2004, 04:57 AM
- America is not the best country in the world
- America doesn't have the best culture in the world
- America doesn't know everything
- America isn't qualified to police the world
- The entire world isn't jealous of Americans
- Military strength does not embue you with an innate right to do anything whatsoever

... and furthermore, no country in the world meets these criteria, nor will any country ever meet them.

I used to think like that...and you're right, we don't. But the fact of the matter is, every since we have been the "world police", there hasn't been, and won't be, another world war.

Not to mention that the UN is essentially a governing body which allows other countries to decide where the US puts its army...

Stealth

QuotePlenty of people of foreign decent...who are American!  How about someone not an American?

My dad, who is a Mexican immigrant. Several Polish immigrants in the Republican organization here in Madison. The head of the Republican advertising strategy in the 1996 presidential election, Alex Castellano, who was in a video we watched in American Politics today on campaign fundraising, a Cuban immigrant. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who is an Austrian immigrant.
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

Hazard

Mel Martinez, up for the US Senate spot vacated by Bob Graham, a Cuban immigrant.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Hazard on October 22, 2004, 08:55 PM
Mel Martinez, up for the US Senate spot vacated by Bob Graham, a Cuban immigrant.
Look at who he is up against, Caster comes off to me as just a complete bitch. Like that scary old lady at the end of the street type of figure.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Arta

Quote from: Banana fanna fo fanna on October 22, 2004, 07:27 PM
I used to think like that...and you're right, we don't. But the fact of the matter is, every since we have been the "world police", there hasn't been, and won't be, another world war.

I don't really think that any nation can reasonably claim credit for that. Also, the UN doesn't decide where anyone has to put their army. No nation is obligated to use their military on behalf of the UN, and the US has a veto anyway.

Hazard

Quote from: Arta[vL] on October 23, 2004, 07:51 AM

I don't really think that any nation can reasonably claim credit for that. Also, the UN doesn't decide where anyone has to put their army. No nation is obligated to use their military on behalf of the UN, and the US has a veto anyway.

Doesn't matter, the UN is still a worthless organization with the exception of their humanitarian activities.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: Arta[vL] on October 23, 2004, 07:51 AM

Soviet Union and the United States were largely responsible for the demilitarization of Europe.
I also don't see any other country as the UN's primary military force.

YaYYo

Bush is a fawking whore.

Hazard

Quote from: YaYYo on October 24, 2004, 02:22 AM
Bush is a fawking whore.

And your claim is liberals tend to be more intelligent?

Kp

Quote from: Arta[vL] on October 22, 2004, 04:57 AMThis total arrogance seems to be uniquely American and is entirely irritating - what makes you think that the world shares the American definition of 'better'?  What makes you think that the world shares the American definition of 'freedom'?

What qualifies America to make these judgements?
- America is not the best country in the world
- America doesn't have the best culture in the world
... and furthermore, no country in the world meets these criteria
If you grasped basic set theory, you'd know that there is at least one best country in the world since the world has at least one country.  Thus, there is some country which meets the criterion "best country in the world."  Similarly, there is at least one country which has the best culture in the world.  These countries may or may not be distinct.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

quasi-modo

Quote from: YaYYo on October 24, 2004, 02:22 AM
Bush is a fawking whore.
Okay, you have no evidence supporting you statement that bush sleeps around and you made a spelling error. I believe the word you were looking for is 'fucking'.

Quote from: dictionary.comfuck   Audio pronunciation of "fucking" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (fk) Vulgar Slang
v. fucked, fuck·ing, fucks
v. tr.

1. To have sexual intercourse with.
   2. To take advantage of, betray, or cheat; victimize.
   3. Used in the imperative as a signal of angry dismissal.

v. intr.

1. To engage in sexual intercourse.
   2. To act wastefully or foolishly.
   3. To interfere; meddle. Often used with with.

n.

1. An act of sexual intercourse.
   2. A partner in sexual intercourse.
   3. A despised person.
   4. Used as an intensive: What the fuck did you do that for?

interj.

Used to express extreme displeasure.

Phrasal Verbs:
fuck off

1. Used in the imperative as a signal of angry dismissal.
   2. To spend time idly.
   3. To masturbate.

fuck over

To treat unfairly; take advantage of.

fuck up

1. To make a mistake; bungle something.
   2. To act carelessly, foolishly, or incorrectly.
   3. To cause to be intoxicated.

[Middle English, attested in pseudo-Latin fuccant, (they) fuck, deciphered from gxddbov.]

Word History: The obscenity fuck is a very old word and has been considered shocking from the first, though it is seen in print much more often now than in the past. Its first known occurrence, in code because of its unacceptability, is in a poem composed in a mixture of Latin and English sometime before 1500. The poem, which satirizes the Carmelite friars of Cambridge, England, takes its title, "Flen flyys," from the first words of its opening line, "Flen, flyys, and freris," that is, "fleas, flies, and friars." The line that contains fuck reads "Non sunt in coeli, quia gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk." The Latin words "Non sunt in coeli, quia," mean "they [the friars] are not in heaven, since." The code "gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk" is easily broken by simply substituting the preceding letter in the alphabet, keeping in mind differences in the alphabet and in spelling between then and now: i was then used for both i and j; v was used for both u and v; and vv was used for w. This yields "fvccant [a fake Latin form] vvivys of heli." The whole thus reads in translation: "They are not in heaven because they fuck wives of Ely [a town near Cambridge]."
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Hazard

What so many call "arrogance" I call confidence.

Adron

Quote from: Kp on October 24, 2004, 10:36 AM
If you grasped basic set theory, you'd know that there is at least one best country in the world since the world has at least one country.  Thus, there is some country which meets the criterion "best country in the world."  Similarly, there is at least one country which has the best culture in the world.  These countries may or may not be distinct.

I think the problem is that the "best" operator isn't well defined. Because of that, "best country" is "undefined" or more commonly "doesn't exist".

Adron

Quote from: Hazard on October 24, 2004, 08:14 PM
What so many call "arrogance" I call confidence.

confidence + being wrong = arrogance

Having enough confidence in what you say that you'd still be confident in it if you were wrong = arrogance.

|