• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

UN demands Israel tear down the barrier

Started by Vicious, October 06, 2004, 09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Vicious

UN demands Israel tear down the barrier

The UN General Assembly has overwhelmingly adopted a resolution demanding that Israel comply with a world court decision and tear down the barrier it is building to seal off the West Bank.

The vote was 150 in favour, 6 opposed including the United States, and 10 abstentions.

The assembly's vote, like the opinion of the International Court of Justice, is not legally binding, but both have symbolic value as international statements of support for the barrier's destruction.

The 191-member world body voted after lengthy negotiations between the Arab League and the European Union which resulted in a revised text that was accepted by both groups.

The court, as well as the resolution, demand that the barrier be dismantled and reparations be paid to Palestinians harmed by its construction.

Israel has refused to recognise the world court ruling, saying it has no authority to deal with the issue and has ordered construction to continue.

The Israeli Supreme Court, however, has ordered the army to change the route of the barrier in a 32-kilometre stretch near Jerusalem, saying it was causing too much hardship on the local Palestinian population.
Advertisement Advertisement

Israel's UN Ambassador Dan Gillerman called the resolution "one-sided and totally counterproductive" and said construction of the barrier will continue in compliance with the requirements of international law as decided by Israel's Supreme Court.

"It is simply outrageous to respond with such vigour to a measure that saves lives and responds with such casual indifference and apathy to the ongoing campaign of Palestinian terrorism that takes lives. This is not justice but a perversion of justice," he said.

The Palestinians say the current route of the wall amounts to a land grab because parts of the barrier are being built on West Bank land that Israel conquered in the 1967 Middle East war. Israel says the fence is needed to keep out suicide bombers.

The great wall of Yoni.

Arta

Good. That's a resolution long overdue.

quasi-modo

WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Yoni

That stupid fence is stupid. I hope they tear it down. It's a dumbass form of security IMO.

Arta

Quote from: peofeoknight on October 07, 2004, 08:56 AM
Quote from: Arta[vL] on October 07, 2004, 04:09 AM
Good. That's a resolution long overdue.
how do you figure?

Why don't you think about it?

There are numerous reasons why it's stupid, and most of them are obvious. To be honest, I can't be bothered to explain my point of view or to debate the point. I have no faith that you would listen, absorb, think, or be interested in what I have to say. My points of view would, as usual, be dismissed as 'useless liberalism'.

I don't mean to tar everyone with the same brush, but most right-wing/conservative/republican people I speak to are somewhat blinkered, very short-sighted and rather closed-minded, sometimes massively so. These traits make debates with them highly dull.

Hitmen

I don't see the logic in building this wall. They're building it to keep out suicide bombers, yet they're "causing hardship" on the local palestinians while doing it. Chances are it's just going to incite more terrorism. And a wall is not going to stop people determined to get in from getting in.

Sounds like a waste of money.

Hazard

Whats the UN going to do if they don't? Shake their finger at Israel?

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Tuberload

Quote from: Arta[vL] on October 07, 2004, 10:27 AM
Why don't you think about it?

There are numerous reasons why it's stupid, and most of them are obvious. To be honest, I can't be bothered to explain my point of view or to debate the point. I have no faith that you would listen, absorb, think, or be interested in what I have to say. My points of view would, as usual, be dismissed as 'useless liberalism'.

I don't mean to tar everyone with the same brush, but most right-wing/conservative/republican people I speak to are somewhat blinkered, very short-sighted and rather closed-minded, sometimes massively so. These traits make debates with them highly dull.

And you don't think this overly used response isn't getting old?
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

Mephisto

How is a wall suppose to prevent suicide bombers from getting inside Israel?  Is it honestly going to go around the entire country?  Or at least the entire border of where terrorists threaten Israel?  And even so, wouldn't it still be possible to get over the wall?  High high is it?  What's it made of?  And is the going to be security patrolling across the entire thing?

Stealth

Quote from: F.I.Tuberload on October 07, 2004, 04:53 PM
And you don't think this overly used response isn't getting old?

Sadly, it's often the case. I'm fortunate enough to know numerous conservatives who know what they're talking about. It's very important to stay civil and stick to the facts - anger and closed-mindedness always loses to a cool head.

The barrier indeed doesn't make much sense to me. If the Palestinians are willing to blow themselves up as it is, putting a giant wall up won't change that. They'll find ways around it.

On the other hand, Israel's ambassador made a very important point that I believe should be noted. The United Nations needs to not only condemn this wall but to strongly condemn the terrorist actions of members of the Palestinian state. It's quite clear that reform is needed within the Palestinian ranks, because nothing is getting done or has gotten done for as long as anyone can remember. The problem is that those in charge of the Palestinian state clearly don't want a compromise to be reached. Their power comes from the anger of their citizens.

It's a mess. Hazard also notes that the UN can't really do anything. This is true, I don't think that their words, no matter what they are, will have any impact at all on Israel's actions. "Strongly-worded memos" don't get things done. (Mad-TV reference)
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

quasi-modo

I am not saying the wall is a great Idea. I am saying why should the wall come down? What is the reason for it to come down. Its not helping much, but its not hurting either. It divides up few villiages, but that was about all I heard that was bad about it. I am tired of how the UN is always pissing on Israel. They put a missile through a known terrorist leader's window and the UN says ohhh you can't do that. They stop doing it to appease the un and that guy orders an attack and one more bus full of people goes up in smoke.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

quasi-modo

Quote from: Mephisto on October 07, 2004, 07:09 PM
How is a wall suppose to prevent suicide bombers from getting inside Israel?  Is it honestly going to go around the entire country?  Or at least the entire border of where terrorists threaten Israel?  And even so, wouldn't it still be possible to get over the wall?  High high is it?  What's it made of?  And is the going to be security patrolling across the entire thing?

WAR EAGLE!

Eibro

Quote from: peofeoknight on October 07, 2004, 09:56 PM
I am not saying the wall is a great Idea. I am saying why should the wall come down? What is the reason for it to come down. Its not helping much, but its not hurting either. It divides up few villiages, but that was about all I heard that was bad about it. I am tired of how the UN is always pissing on Israel. They put a missile through a known terrorist leader's window and the UN says ohhh you can't do that. They stop doing it to appease the un and that guy orders an attack and one more bus full of people goes up in smoke.
Are you saying the Palestinian suicide bombers are any worse than Israeli tanks and gunships demolishing villages and killing civilians? The UN is powerless to do anything.
Eibro of Yeti Lovers.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Eibro[yL] on October 08, 2004, 12:01 AM
Quote from: peofeoknight on October 07, 2004, 09:56 PM
Are you saying the Palestinian suicide bombers are any worse than Israeli tanks and gunships demolishing villages and killing civilians? The UN is powerless to do anything.
Are you saying that the Israelis are intentionally trying to kill innocent people?
WAR EAGLE!

vonLandenhausen

|