• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Linux apps to die for

Started by jigsaw, September 22, 2004, 10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muert0

And if you have SuSE pro I can't really think of anything you could need that didn't come with the install unless you just did a default install.
To lazy for slackware.

iago

If he did a default install, the first thing I recommend is "gcc".
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

muert0

gcc is in the default install of SuSE pro. Personal is the one that doesn't have shit.
To lazy for slackware.

jigsaw

What makes SuSE professional better than personal - havent really read about the differences.

muert0

Personal is missing a lot of items because of licensing issues. That's why it cost a little bit to get the SuSE pro disc or you can do a FTP install. If you have personal and would like Pro I can point you to a good tutorial I found on installing it by FTP. It only took me an hour to do a full install by FTP.
To lazy for slackware.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: iago on September 24, 2004, 07:02 AM
What do you mean it's ugly? It looks the exact same as windows 2000!!

I once posted some screenshots to prove that point, but I don't know where they are..

GTK, one of the common toolkits, has a crappy refresh rate, crappy repaint handling, and is all around slow at drawing. Qt is encumbered by licensing issues and is also slow as hell and has a crappy refresh rate (but it's repaint handling is better).

Not to mention that almost all Linux apps are horribly not polished. They often resize the window without resizing components, not lined up correctly, and are loaded with spelling errors.

mynameistmp

Not to mention that almost all Linux apps are horribly not polished. They often resize the window without resizing components, not lined up correctly, and are loaded with spelling errors.

Name some of these applications ?
"This idea is so odd, it is hard to know where to begin in challenging it." - Martin Barker, British scholar

Banana fanna fo fanna

K anything is not polished (KOffice, KDE configurer)
OpenOffice is slow
AbiWord is not polished

Gaim screwed up my buddy list too.

iago

Quote from: $t0rm on September 27, 2004, 02:04 PM
K anything is not polished (KOffice, KDE configurer)
OpenOffice is slow
AbiWord is not polished

Gaim screwed up my buddy list too.

It sounds to me like a problem with your computer, not with the software.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

mynameistmp

What I meant was, how is "K anything" not polished ? How is AbiWord not polished ? Which applications are loaded with spelling errors, which ones don't resize components, and which ones don't "line up correctly" ?

Also, have you ever compared the benchmarks for OpenOffice with other Office suites ? Or have you ever benchmarked it yourself ? Or are you just guessing ? Gut instinct ? I didn't know it was slow, and I'd be thankful if you could enlighten me.

I also wouldn't mind knowing where you're getting your information about GTK's crappy refresh rate, crappy repaint handling, and over all slowness at drawing.
"This idea is so odd, it is hard to know where to begin in challenging it." - Martin Barker, British scholar