• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Winamp 5.04 (rant)

Started by j0k3r, August 20, 2004, 09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0k3r

Anyone else not like what Winamp is doing? They are constantly releasing newer versions, with more options, and more features to steal your CPU. How many of these new features do I use? None. Their skins are rounder, and not as "dockable" as they used to be (I use a skin from 3.0, I wish I still had my skin from 2.0). They make it easier for people to make skins, give them more options, but confuse the hell out of those who just want to listen to a damn song. They also hide some of the stuff you used to be able to edit before, or move it to a place you'll never find (such as song cross-fading, who likes that anyways?). Lastly, how the hell am I supposed to know what settings my computer will run optimally on? It will differ if I'm playing games, or just listening to music and talking on MSN. Hm that's a great idea, maybe they can save settings to load depending on what you're doing, and while they're at it, maybe they can program it to give you blowjobs.

I feel as if I'm getting old, and not wanting to keep up with program updates because they're too damn confusing, and contain features I will never even look at. I'd be happy with my winamp 2.0 back, some bug fixes on it, and maybe one or two of the new features (like the cd ripping, and visualizations for when I'm stoned).
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

K

That's why I use iTunes if I'm listening to music while browsing the internet, writing, etc, and use Winamp 2.91 if I'm listening to something in the background while playing a game.

Thing

That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

quasi-modo

5 is much better then 3 was with resources though.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Archonist

Haven't used winamp in a while, I love XMMS though.

iago

I love xmms and, when I'm on Windows, I use Winamp 2.93.  That was the peak.  And I got it from the site Thing listed.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

j0k3r

Quote from: Thing on August 20, 2004, 10:07 PM
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winamp
Thanks Thing.

Peofe -- Are you sure? I haven't really tried it but I would have thought 5 to be more resource intensive than 3.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Zorm

This seems to be a trend with everything including Linux and Windows. Software becomes more and more bloated with useless features that end up taking more cpu and ram. Depending on what you run your 3ghz/2GB ram computer might as well be a 500mhz/128mb ram computer because they both respond about the same.
"Now, gentlemen, let us do something today which the world make talk of hereafter."
- Admiral Lord Collingwood

Netcooler

Quote from: K on August 20, 2004, 10:03 PM
That's why I use iTunes if I'm listening to music while browsing the internet, writing, etc, and use Winamp 2.91 if I'm listening to something in the background while playing a game.

Right on, brother!
Although iTunes is for all the time, unless I am listening to unsorted music (music I download and put in a temp folder until I fix ID3s to it and put it in the destinated folder in my real music folder). So iTunes for my music library, and Winamp for the music fresh on my PC.

quasi-modo

Quote from: j0k3r on August 20, 2004, 10:29 PM
Peofe -- Are you sure? I haven't really tried it but I would have thought 5 to be more resource intensive than 3.

Yes, 3 was a real whore when it came to resources. The day I installed the first thign I noticed was that it was running leaner (well ok, it was the second thing I noticed after the skin). But I use 2.91.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Grok

Zakath

I run Winamp 5 and have absolutely no problems with it. I think you're all on crack. :)
Quote from: iago on February 02, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can't have everybody...contributing to the main source repository.  That would be stupid and create chaos.

Opensource projects...would be dumb.

Banana fanna fo fanna

It's happening everywhere. .NET platform (and Java) are huge and bloated, MS Word, hell, it's a word processor, takes up a ton of RAM for no reason.

Who wants to begin work on a suite of software that takes a bare minimum of resources and sell it?

j0k3r

Quote from: $t0rm on August 21, 2004, 09:29 PM
Who wants to begin work on a suite of software that takes a bare minimum of resources and sell it?
I'm in.
LONG LIVE NOTEPAD! (we'll include it)
John Vo

Banana fanna fo fanna

Do you seriously want to do this? I do. We could charge big buxx for it too :)