• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Winamp 5.04 (rant)

Started by j0k3r, August 20, 2004, 09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zorm

I could go for something like this. What OS are you going to do it on Windows? If so and it was me doing it id try to get rid of as much of the basic windows crap that gets installed as possible to start with. Then you have to deal with basic windows controls that take up large chunks of memory themselves. Like richedit and such.
"Now, gentlemen, let us do something today which the world make talk of hereafter."
- Admiral Lord Collingwood

Banana fanna fo fanna

I was thinking of writing using as much cross-platform C++ as possible, using something like www.wxwindows.org. What the world needs is lightweight, fast, and secure software.

iago

They've already done it, and they called it Linux.  All the software I use is free and non-bloated.  In fact, it all runs perfectly on my 266mhz server.  

I use a lightweight window manager, and mostly console applications.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Archonist

And linux is also good in the fact that, if you do like GUI type   things there is always gnome, KDE, and other windowmanagers like that. But if, like iago, you're running a shitty computer theres things like fluxbox, WindowManager, etc.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: iago on August 22, 2004, 02:45 AM
They've already done it, and they called it Linux.  All the software I use is free and non-bloated.  In fact, it all runs perfectly on my 266mhz server.  

Strange how I when highlight something on my Penitum 550mhz Gnome/Redhat9 box my xmms skips.

Archonist

For one, redhat sucks..(based on my opinion, i'm not arguing it) but anyway! I have a 558mhz machine, I use gnome//WindowMaker on Slackware 10.0. I have never had a problem with xmms, it used to run a little slow because my media was on an NTFS partition, which not suprisingly are slow with linux, so I made a fat32 partition for all music//movies, and it runs perfectly fast.

K

Quote from: $t0rm on August 22, 2004, 09:51 AM

Strange how I when highlight something on my Penitum 550mhz Gnome/Redhat9 box my xmms skips.

I don't think Gnome qualifies as a lightweight window manager.  

j0k3r

*On the windows platform.

I would love to do something like this, unfortunately I don't think I have the skills to contribute alot. If you decide to go through with it, let me know I'd like to see how something like this happens.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

iago

Quote from: K on August 22, 2004, 10:37 AM
Quote from: $t0rm on August 22, 2004, 09:51 AM

I don't think Gnome qualifies as a lightweight window manager.  

Haha, that's what I was going to say.  I haven't personally used Gnome, but KDE is at least as bloated as Windows, and I don't like it.  WindowMaker, like many others, is very light weight and does very little for you.  

Banana fanna fo fanna

Linux is more modular, but isn't immune. I admit, it's easy to throw together a lightweight Linux system, but a lot of the time, it's just as bloated as Windows in a standard install.

Archonist

It matters if you do it right, and I know gnome is bloated but I also use windowmaker, which is a low profile window manager.

iago

Quote from: $t0rm on August 22, 2004, 02:33 PM
Linux is more modular, but isn't immune. I admit, it's easy to throw together a lightweight Linux system, but a lot of the time, it's just as bloated as Windows in a standard install.

I don't see the problem, then! The losers with their 3ghz machines can bloat themselves up, and the people like me can use the clean fast stuff, and everybody's happy!

j0k3r

What about us losers with 2.4ghz and want light software?
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

muert0

To lazy for slackware.

iago

Quote from: j0k3r on August 22, 2004, 02:57 PM
What about us losers with 2.4ghz and want light software?

I have a 1.0ghz (which runs Windows or kde fine) but I still use it for light software.

Gentoo is ok.

I am a fan of Slackware, myself, which can also be found at www.linuxiso.org  But I don't see why we're discussing distros now.

|