• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Which Operating System do you Utilize?

Started by Mephisto, May 23, 2004, 07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mephisto

I was just curious as to what some of the people on these forums use as an operating system on their computers.  Just post what you use in different places (if you use more than one).  :)

I have a testing computer that I've thrown about 15 different operating systems on, mostly Linux though I was never really satisifed with Linux so I never used it much afterwards.

On my other computer I threw Windows XP Professional which I threw all my development tools on.  Though recently my family has used it.

On my computer I use mostly for now I recently had Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional, but recently upgraded the operating system to Windows Server 2003 Enterprise.  It turns out that in my experience Windows Server 2003 is more reliable, has more security, networking features, better memory/resource management, is faster performance-wise partly due to kernel changes (it's NT 5.2 as oppose to XP NT kernel 5.1).  I've discovered that many people are starting to use Windows Server 2003 as a workstation OS (like I have) by editing some registry files, re-enabling disabled services, etc. and ultimately it becomes Windows XP slapped onto a bunch of server features and ultimately a better operating system.  (there, lots of rambling ;))

iago

2 of my computers - Windows XP
my laptop - Windows XP/Slackware 9.1
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Grok

DOS 3.3

No, seriously:
Home:  Windows 2003 Server Standard
Laptop:  Windows XP Professional
Work(desk):  Windows 2000 Server
  with VMWare running Windows 98, Windows 2000 Pro, Windows XP Pro, to test programs on each platform.

Mephisto

Quote from: Grok on May 23, 2004, 07:42 PM
DOS 3.3

No, seriously:
  with VMWare running Windows 98, Windows 2000 Pro, Windows XP Pro, to test programs on each platform.

Just curious, why would you continue to use Windows Server 2000 and not upgrade to Windows Server 2003?  Though I suppose that's just like asking why you use still use Windows 2000 Professional over Windows XP Professional.  ;)

Grok

Quote from: Mephisto on May 23, 2004, 07:45 PM
Quote from: Grok on May 23, 2004, 07:42 PM
DOS 3.3

No, seriously:

Just curious, why would you continue to use Windows Server 2000 and not upgrade to Windows Server 2003?  Though I suppose that's just like asking why you use still use Windows 2000 Professional over Windows XP Professional.  ;)

I program for the people who pay me.  They use Windows 2000 and even Windows 98 (where there has been no cost justification to upgrade).  Ergo, I have to write all my programs to work on Windows 2000.  The easiest and most cost-effective route for me is to program and test directly on Windows 2000 (and test on VMWare Windows 98).  They also pay the license for my work operating system, and they decide what I will use.  My job is to write great code for whatever platform they have chosen.

Fr0z3N

hismajesty

Main Workstation: Windows XP Home/ Windows Longhorn
Family Computer: Windows XP Home
Eleanor: Slackware 9.1

Mephisto

Windows XP Home Edition on a workstation?  ew!

Stealth

It's not that bad.

I run two computers:

My computer: Windows XP Home / Fedora Core 1 (not yet updated to 2, waiting for apparent dual boot issues with 2 to be resolved)
Family computer: Windows XP Home
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

Mephisto

Quote from: Stealth on May 23, 2004, 09:26 PM
It's not that bad.

I run two computers:

My computer: Windows XP Home / Fedora Core 1 (not yet updated to 2, waiting for apparent dual boot issues with 2 to be resolved)
Family computer: Windows XP Home

I've installed Fedora Core (forget which number, 1 or 2) and it has dual boot issues.  It seems that it will work fine if you have it only installed, but once you install a Windows OS afterards (like XP) you can no longer dual-boot with it I guess...At least I can't.

Forged

I had a family computer with windows me, but after one to many kicks it died,

My computer has windows xp pro and madrake 9.2
I think my brother's and parent's computers have xp pro on them, but I am not sure.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

Thing

DOS 5
RedHat 3.3
RedHat 7.2
RedHat 8
RedHat 9
Suse 9.0
Cobalt 5
Nitix 7.53
Windows 3.11
Windows XP Pro
Windows 2000 Pro
Windows 2000 Server
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Windows 2003 Server
Novell 3.11
Novell 4.2
FreeBSD 4.6

These are ones that I use on a regular basis, either directly or by remote control.  The Nitix is by far the baddest Mofo of them all.  I have been running a box for almost a year now with the OS operating from a CD.  The config and user files are stored on a hard drive but the OS and related apps are on the CD.
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

Skywing

I use Windows Server 2003 due to Terminal Server (with my own "modifications").

Prior to that, I used Windows 2000 Professional with Terminal Server installed (takes a bit of work).

SNiFFeR

Windows 2000 Pro
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Windows XP Pro

Falcon[anti-yL]