• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Which Operating System do you Utilize?

Started by Mephisto, May 23, 2004, 07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UserLoser.

Thing

QuotePS: Thing, You should really update your DOS 5.0 box to DOS 6.0... I mean come on.
I don't have those disks anymore. :(
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

hismajesty

Quote from: Mephisto on May 24, 2004, 06:29 PM
Quote from: hismajesty on May 24, 2004, 02:04 PM
The next time I take my computer to some corporate location, I'll remember that.

Might want to take a look at this Trust... http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

QuoteRemote Desktop - All versions of Windows XP--including Home Edition--support Remote Assistance, which is an assisted support technology that allows a help desk or system administrator to remotely connect to a client desktop for troubleshooting purposes. But Only Pro supports the new Remote Desktop feature, which is a single-session version of Terminal Services with two obvious uses: Mobile professionals who need to remotely access their corporate desktop, and remote administration of clients on a network. You can access a Windows XP Remote Desktop from any OS that supports a Terminal Services client (such as Windows 98 and, interestingly XP Home). XP Home can act as the client in a Remote Desktop session; only Pro can be the server.

I have a third party program that I use for this, allowing me use my computer while in Science. *cough* :P

QuoteMulti-processor support - Windows XP Pro supports up to two microprocessors, while Home Edition supports only one.

Yea, I don't plan on having two processors in there in the near future.

QuoteAutomated System Recovery (ASR) - In a somewhat controversial move, Microsoft has removed the Backup utility from the default Windows XP Home Edition, though it is available as an optional installation if you can find it on the CD-ROM (hint: it's in the /valueadd folder). The reason for this the integration of Microsoft's new Automated System Recovery (ASR) tool into Backup. In Pro, ASR will help recover a system from a catastrophic error, such as one that renders the system unbootable. ASR-enabled backups are triggerable from XP Setup, allowing you to return your system to its previous state, even if the hard drive dies and has to be replaced. Unlike consumer-oriented features such as System Restore, ASR is not automatic: It must manually be enabled from within the Backup utility in Windows XP Pro. In any event, while there is a Backup utility available for Home Edition, you cannot use ASR, even though mentions of this feature still exist in the UI. Confusing? Yes. But it's better than no Backup at all, which was the original plan.

It only backups during catastrophic failure? What if it's nothing serious but you need to setback your computer anyway, is that still included?

QuoteDynamic Disk Support - Windows XP Professional (like its Windows 2000 equivalent) supports dynamic disks, but Home Edition does not (instead, HE supports only the standard Simple Disk type). Dynamic disks are not usable with any OS other than Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro, and they cannot be used on portable computers. Likewise, Home Edition does not include the Logical Disk Manager.

I don't use 2000 or Pro so I guess it doesn't bother me. :P

QuoteFax - Home Edition has no integrated fax functionality out of the box, though it is an option you can install from the XP Home CD.

I have a fax machine.

QuoteInternet Information Services/Personal Web Server - Home Edition does not include the IIS Web server 5.1 software found in Pro.

If for some reason I wanted to run a Windows server, I wouldn't use XP for it.

Edit: Just noticed there was more categories on that page of stuff Home doesn't have. Oh well, at least I commented on the 'Power User' stuff.

|