• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Statstring Chatting

Started by Mesiah / haiseM, January 05, 2003, 12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesiah / haiseM

We all know how Diablo 1 lets you set your own statstring (sshr too i think), Well i was thinking, maybe if somebody was really bored, they could figure out a way to use the diablo statstring to chat with people in the void? ???

Seems pretty dumb, but hey, why the hell not? :P
]HighBrow Innovations
Coming soon...

AIM Online Status: 

Skywing

QuoteWe all know how Diablo 1 lets you set your own statstring (sshr too i think), Well i was thinking, maybe if somebody was really bored, they could figure out a way to use the diablo statstring to chat with people in the void? ???

Seems pretty dumb, but hey, why the hell not? :P
You're a few years late, sorry!

This idea was new back in 1999 :p

You can also use it to chat in Blizzard Tech Support and other moderated channels.

Mesiah / haiseM

damn, got the source? or the bot anywhere?
]HighBrow Innovations
Coming soon...

AIM Online Status: 

Spht

We'd just send new statstring that contained the message. When the client receives list event from user that is already in the channel, then display it as "Stat chat."

Mesiah / haiseM

how did you locate it? like what type of key did you put, and where did you put it, to make the client say "hey this guy has a message in his statstring!"?
]HighBrow Innovations
Coming soon...

AIM Online Status: 

Yoni

Stat update (0x0f event 0x09)

Mesiah / haiseM

thats the flags event tho, that can happen anywhere at anytime, maybe not so much in the void, but its possible in blizzard tech support im sure...
]HighBrow Innovations
Coming soon...

AIM Online Status: 

Yoni

So what?

Store each user's statstring, if the stats update event occurs and the statstring changes, treat it as statchat. Otherwise, don't.

Mesiah / haiseM

Interesting, why was it stopped? did it get too pointless?
]HighBrow Innovations
Coming soon...

AIM Online Status: 

iago

Hrmm.. I guess the same could be done with Profile string, but you would have to set a timer.  

You could just set sex to "\nMessage" and be constantly checking for changes in other Sex fields.

(PS. Sex Fields would be a great name for a band!)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Mesiah / haiseM

lol dork :p

can you still create your own profile string in 0x27?

like \profchat
?
]HighBrow Innovations
Coming soon...

AIM Online Status: 

Spht

Quotelol dork :p

can you still create your own profile string in 0x27?

like \profchat
?

No. If you attempt to set a non-default key, your whole profile will be reset.

Mesiah / haiseM

thought so, damn

i guess the sex field would deam appropriate, but some people use it for encryption keys...
]HighBrow Innovations
Coming soon...

AIM Online Status: 

MiCrOz

I'm not sure if its possible what im saying, being new to all this stuff but, if you could do this "stat string chatting", couldnt u use a muted key and still chat?

MiCrOz

hmmm.....we could be onto something :o ;)

Edit add:

We could make a bot that changed statstring with a certain character in the beginning of the messages, like other bots do for hex messages. This way, the bot would read all statstring updates, and if the statstring has the character in the front, it would display it as a message. Just an idea tho...