• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Blizzard vs. BnetD (on SlashDot)

Started by Grok, February 19, 2004, 05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hitmen

I still don't see how this is fair use. I thought the whole arguement against bnetd was the fact that they were allowed you to run a server without CD-Key authentication that would allow people to pirate the game or something like that.

iago

haha, I can't believe that's still dragging on!

I liked this line:
QuoteAlso weighing heavily in Defendants' favor is the fact that Blizzard has still failed to come forward with any admissible evidence of actual customer confusion.
I couldn't see somebody becoming confused that easily :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Skywing

Long cases are fairly typical for the US court system...

Denial

I wish someone would sue me I wanna be sued by Blizzard
Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea

l)ragon

Wonder if we will see FSGS again after this is done and over with.
*^~·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.,¸¸,.-·~^*ˆ¨¯¯¨ˆ*^~·.,l)ragon,.-·~^*ˆ¨¯¯¨ˆ*^~·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.,¸¸,.-·~^*

mynameistmp

I couldn't see somebody becoming confused that easily :)

"Microsoft believes that BeTa's registration and use of the "microsoft.ph" domain name infringes and dilutes Microsoft's own famous Microsoft mark as it is likely to cause confusion as to the source of origin of the content published on the "www.microsoft.ph" website."  

- Sincerely, Courtney Stuart Alban, Attorney for Microsoft Corporation

At that time, www.microsoft.ph was mapped to what is now xar.slacktech.com. Microsoft Inc. also pursued the same line of legal action against www.mikerowesoft.com. Seems like a popular card to play.
"This idea is so odd, it is hard to know where to begin in challenging it." - Martin Barker, British scholar

Hostile

Speaking of which, Blizzard just anouther C&D memo out, now to Drakken for hosting his starcraft hack "plugin loader" called Damnation (www.gamethreat.com). Though they said nothing about the other hacks hosted there (Ally Alert, which is somewhat the descendant of the old maphack "Starcrap").
- Hostile is sexy.

MrRaza

Maddox

I read one of the PDF's, apparently the EFF claims the "handshake" between a Blizzard Client and Server is legal to reverse engineer because it provides interoperability. Nice to know at least.
asdf.

CrAz3D

I wonder if Arta may be involved in the next lawsuit?
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Trance

hismajesty

QuoteAt that time, www.microsoft.ph was mapped to what is now xar.slacktech.com.

So, is xar going to be subject to any legal action? Does Canada protect against that, since Microsoft's headquarters is in the US?

iago

Quote from: hismajesty on March 04, 2004, 05:13 PM
QuoteAt that time, www.microsoft.ph was mapped to what is now xar.slacktech.com.

So, is xar going to be subject to any legal action? Does Canada protect against that, since Microsoft's headquarters is in the US?

No, as soon as MS wanted it back, the person who technically owns it ("co0l" or "c0ol", whatever) decided that it was his to sell.  Xar wanted like 20g for it, and, knowing his attitude, probably would have gotten it.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

hismajesty

Quoteand, knowing his attitude, probably would have gotten it.

That is very true, knowing xar he would have eventually gotten it and if not, come mighty close. Thanks for clearing that up.